Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 10:41 AM

605 posts, read 2,990,160 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry. I agree with the others. This does not sound like the right pet for you. There is great advice as to where to turn next that will be the best for both of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 11:01 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times
I would give this dog a chance. She has to get used to her new home. People give up too soon. This is also the reason for the overcrowded shelters. She may be trying to escape due to a little fear of her new home. Who knows what her past was. She was probably abused. I would give it a couple of months and try to work with her.
I am sure some people in here will jump in with some advice also.
Make sure she has a pet tag on her from the Petsmart with her name, state and your cell and home #.
You will have to doggie proof your home as everyone does with a new pet. Keep windows and doors closed and make sure she is secure in the yard.
Good luck, sounds like you may end up with a great petif she is given the chance!

PS: It sounds like she may have been in a couple of homes as she does not like to be left. Make sure you have a nice big, heavy, sturdy crate and put her in there. Once adjusted to your household you will no longer need the crate. Also I would get her spayed and make sure you use the E collar afterwords as she does not open her stitches! I think in time she will fit in nice with your family! Good luck and keep checking the posts here for more advice!
Can you post some pics of her?

Old 10-28-2009, 12:08 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,554,925 times
Ok read this article on dogs and reading human body language - a major reason why we can coexist so well with dogs and not with wolves.

How Dogs Read Human Body Language | Modern Dog magazine - the best dog magazine ever

One of the reasons the breeding experiments failed with the production of "sharp-shy" dogs. IE fear biters who will bite if provoked and who will not have the inherent ability to read human body language to accuractely perceive a threat. [So that two year old coming over could be food, could be a threat] The goal was the production of stronger more robuts working attack dogs but they had neither the confidence [there is a reason you don't see so many wolves in the wild] not the ability to work cooperatively with humans to succeed.

Please understand the possible consequences of keeping an animal so close to wild stock. Yes dogs evolved from wolves about 10,000 years ago and yes some dog breeds have some wolf mixed in more recently [but surprisingly much less than you would think]

IF this woman was living on 300 acres and did not have a child and had all kinds of animal experience I would say - maybe this could work. The fact that this hybrid is sleeping in bed with them, does not have a suitable outlet for probably a huge amount of energy, and is already escaping bodes of potential danger. This is NOT a big dog.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:54 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
It does sound like the only thing the dog is doing wrong is escaping from the house.

And the cats will survive. It's probably time to reduce the number of cats you have since that birth anyway.

Seriously, anyone who has 'lost track' of how many cats they own, own too many cats.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:56 PM

Granny,

My girlfriend owned a dog that was part wolfe. She didn't have any problems with it.

You're labeling this poor dog just like people do Pitt Bulls. The OP hasn't shared anything that would be a red flag.

The dog just likes to jump out of windows and chase cats. It's not killing cats. It's licking kittens.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:07 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
how about buying a puppy?

Old 10-28-2009, 01:25 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,684,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
I would give this dog a chance. She has to get used to her new home. People give up too soon. This is also the reason for the overcrowded shelters. She may be trying to escape due to a little fear of her new home. Who knows what her past was. She was probably abused. I would give it a couple of months and try to work with her.
I am sure some people in here will jump in with some advice also.
Make sure she has a pet tag on her from the Petsmart with her name, state and your cell and home #.
You will have to doggie proof your home as everyone does with a new pet. Keep windows and doors closed and make sure she is secure in the yard.
Good luck, sounds like you may end up with a great petif she is given the chance!

PS: It sounds like she may have been in a couple of homes as she does not like to be left. Make sure you have a nice big, heavy, sturdy crate and put her in there. Once adjusted to your household you will no longer need the crate. Also I would get her spayed and make sure you use the E collar afterwords as she does not open her stitches! I think in time she will fit in nice with your family! Good luck and keep checking the posts here for more advice!
Can you post some pics of her?
Excellent post and I couldn't agree with you more. Wish I had something intelligent to add but you summed it up perfectly.

To the OP- Please don't give up on your new dog. My Archie was such a handful that even the vet said she would not have been able to handle him and he got turned down by 3 trainers. Add his epilepsy to the mix and I can honestly say the first year was a freaking nightmare and I came this close to having him put down although that was more due to the horrible seizures than the fact that he was like a rabid monster. I don't know what happened but I made the appointment and the very next day I was able to take him for a walk, he made friends with a neighbor dog and was so well behaved I chickened out on euthanization. Funny thing is that he never had another seizure ( this was 7 years ago) and while he can still be a handful at times, he is also the sweetest boy in the world and those small animals he used to chase and try to destroy are now his friends and mistake him for momma sometimes.

Good luck and don't give up.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:49 PM

605 posts, read 2,990,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It does sound like the only thing the dog is doing wrong is escaping from the house.

And the cats will survive. It's probably time to reduce the number of cats you have since that birth anyway.

Seriously, anyone who has 'lost track' of how many cats they own, own too many cats.
That is disappointing, and not fair to the cats who were there first. "You have to many, let them be afraid and let the dog do whatever she wants"?

It doesn't sound like the OP is 100% behind training this dog and to be honest does not sound confident enough (no offense- I can tell you really love animals) and to be fair to the dog, she needs a strong, dog-knowledgeable trainer. Wold hybrids can be dangerous in the wrong hands.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:59 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Granny,

My girlfriend owned a dog that was part wolfe. She didn't have any problems with it.

You're labeling this poor dog just like people do Pitt Bulls. The OP hasn't shared anything that would be a red flag.

The dog just likes to jump out of windows and chase cats. It's not killing cats. It's licking kittens.
I agree with you!
People! Please do not label a dog. Pitbulls have it hard enough with ignorant people doing this everyday! A dog is a dog is a dog! There is no such thing a bad dog and it is never the dogs fault!
The OP should work with this dog as it has done nothing wrong but try to escape!

Last edited by Blondie621; 10-28-2009 at 02:16 PM..

Old 10-28-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna B. View Post
That is disappointing, and not fair to the cats who were there first. "You have to many, let them be afraid and let the dog do whatever she wants"?
Revisit her post. One of those cats has had two litters!

Cats love to torment dogs too. It's not like this is new to the dog/cat world.

And what's being there first have to do with it?

Suddenly it's okay to give up on an animal just because things aren't going smoothly?

That's how shelters get filled to over capacity!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs