Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 12:11 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,157,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It does sound like the only thing the dog is doing wrong is escaping from the house.

And the cats will survive. It's probably time to reduce the number of cats you have since that birth anyway.

Seriously, anyone who has 'lost track' of how many cats they own, own too many cats.
I also don’t as some others also mentioned see anything here the dog is doing “wrong “ except for trying to go through a window screen that if I’m not mistaken your post conceded you had left the window open twice. standard for anyone with pets to secure doors/ windows, basic stuff.

(Having so many cats you’ve lost track btw yes sounds like way too many when it gets to the point of having so many animals one loses track of how many they’ve got. This is not “anti-cat”, whatever animal it is, if one has so many they can’t keep count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 01:30 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,425,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
to a degree that's how it works, some genetic disorders are more likely to happen when both parents have the gene. same as in humans.
No, that's not how it works. I mean, yes, if both parents have the gene, sure. But breeding dog x to dog y does not mean that the bad genes in dog x just go away. Breeding two dogs of different breeds does not mean that the resulting offspring magically have all the good traits of the parents and none of the bad.

Old 05-24-2018, 05:55 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,157,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Well, if things are settling down and you feel you can do right by your family and all the animals...
It's hard to know much about an animal in the first weeks or so. They are so excited/scared/confused. That's why I never feel a need to meet a dog before adopting it. I know I'll love it eventually (even that beagle/basset...) but I rarely take strongly to an animal on first meeting- I don't know them, they don't know me. Especially if they've been bounced around, they need time and patience.
Not all pure GSDs have hip problems.
Glad you highlighted such an important point that for some reason some people either overlook or are just kind of oblivious to—the need of ** time and patience** when adopting a new dog into a home. I don’t think I could just move into a strangers home and within a week feel completely right at home and know how all what to expect and to feel completely safe and secure- yet that’s how some expect an animal to think. I was at a shelter two months ago and a man returned a really cute nice little poodle mix because he complained that he wanted to keep the poor thing tied up in his yard all day while he was at work and the poodle didn’t like it. Duh.... would he? So yes, amen— time patience and I’ll add common sense and understanding. Would I want to be tied up in a yard for over 9 hours a day. C’mon, oh vey

Old 05-29-2018, 06:38 AM

113 posts, read 145,094 times
Why on earth would someone take a wolf hybrid as a pet for their daughter?!? STUPID STUPID STUPID.

Old 05-29-2018, 06:45 AM

113 posts, read 145,094 times
Angry Seriously a wolf hybrid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I am at fault for this. If I had thought more about this in a more logical way I wouldn't have made this error in judgement.
Since our dog Cinders (see pictures of Black and Tan Cavalier King Charles Spaniel in my photos) passed away my daughter has wanted another dog. I had thought with us being two females living alone it would be a good idea to get a BIG dog.
I was checking out Craigslist and found someone needed to re-home a 4 year old German Shepherd. There was a picture of her with 4-5 children. I spoke with the owner and she said they had cats and always had since they had Kira so she was used to them. She also loved the 5 children this woman had and the other children in the neighborhood.

What she failed to mention is that Kira is not fixed, Kira's Father was 25% German Shepherd and 75% Timber Wolf, they had intended to breed her but never did. I did a little reading afterward that these crosses are done in order to have a dog with the attributes of a Shepherd but with no problems such as hip displasia.

She is also already VERY protective of my daughter and I. To the point that where Kira has a fit in the morning when Diane goes to school. However its gone further then this. On the occasions when my daughter and I have to go somewhere together and we can't take Kira like grocery shopping, things have gotten worse. Its FAR to hot here in Florida to take a dog and leave it in the car even in the evenings, at least in my opinion.

On three occasions when my daughter and I have left her at home, she has gotten out. On one occasion the windows across the front of the house were left open and she pushed the screen out, only after taking a bite out of it. The second occasion we lowered the windows to a crack to get some air as my AC is broken but its still in the 80s here in Florida. Kira simply raised the window with her nose and pushed the same screen out. Then tonight, we had accidentally left a window open in the craft room, she took a HUGE bite out of this one also and when we came home we found her in the street.

OH and the cats...she loves to terrorize them. She purposely goes after them and terrorizes them. These are cats who are used to small dogs but nothing like they are facing with Kira. Take a look in the Cat section, I started a thread about how I am fostering some cats. To be honest I have lost track of how many cats we have. I had 5, then one died. Then came Keeko, her 5 babies and two babies from a litter in April. The only cats that don't seem terrified of her are the babies. They have sorted out that she isn't going to eat them. She will actually lick the babies if given the opportunity. Keeko the Mother on the other hand, scrawny as she is, will attack Kira, she will seek her out and lunge at her. She is every inch the Mother Bear.

You might also look in the Health section where I have contributed to a very long standing thread about anxiety. I take medication for it, see a counselor for it and a psychiatrist. I am about to loose it completely with all of this going on.

I'm honestly afraid she could go through the glass windows.

We have a crate for her, I found one large enough for her on Craigslist, we washed it up for her tonight and will put it together in the morning and see if that works. I was told she doesn't like crates however this is my last chance with her. I can't have her running around the house wrecking destruction when we are not home.

OH did I mention that my daughter didn't put all the groceries away and she ate 3/4 of a beef stick this evening??

I can tell that someone has beaten this dog by her reaction, I believe there has been alot of yelling at this dog as well.

On one occasion we took Kira with us up to the pool after dark. Your not supposed to be up there after dark and your NEVER supposed to have a dog with you. Well rules were meant to be broken. Kira ran around, play tag with us a little because she is not fond of the water. We would swim towards her and she would almost let us touch her and then she would dash off again. It was like a game.
As we were leaving she slipped her collar and ran off. She needs a harness, these people didn't even give me a leash for this dog. Nevermind the fact that she is SO strong its unbelievable.
I did take her with me to a friends shop who sells used and antique furniture. She met everyone there and behaved just fine.

I think I am in WAY over my head here. I am not equipped to handle with this dog needs. If she chews her way out of this crate which I suspect she can do, I will have to get rid of her, find a German Shepherd rescue in the area. Oh and I was told she doesn't like crates. Not sure what that means though.

If I do get rid of her, my daughter will be heartbroken.
When I am really anxious, stupid things occur to me, I actually thought about giving her some of my Clonazepam. Its clear she is anxious, I just don't know what to do with her.

She likes to sleep in the bed with us, she will sleep right between my daughter and I, until I realized she was covered in fleas that is, another thing the previous owners forgot to mention.

I am awake at this ungodly hour because I am worried to death about this. I think I will set up the crate and see how that goes. If we can contain her then that will be a step in the right direction.

Anyone out there who owns big dogs have any advice to offer?

Before you say I should take her to some training classes, I don't have the money for that. Which of course begs the question why I adopted a large dog which is so expensive to take care of to begin with.

My only answer is that I took temporary leave of my senses.

WHY on earth would you adopt a wolf hybrid as a family pet for your daughter?!? I don't mean to be mean but in this case you deserve it. As a fellow dog owner you are one stupid stupid stupid individual for bringing in a half canis lupus into your home, especially one that's 75% wolf. Hybrids are extremely unpredictable and potential very dangerous in a closed in situation. Think of your daughter's life, a neighbor outside working in their yard, a kid running down the street or a delivery guy, cable guy, etc. Pit bulls and German Sheppards were breed as guard dogs and have a VERY strong chase prey instinct and look at the damage they can do because of their size. Now think of what this thing could do x 10. Wolf Dog hybrids are more dangerous than dogs and wolves by themselves because they are much more prone to snap into the chase / kill mode without provocation when they see something run by. The dog in them will knock down any fear of humans so they are not wary. You said so yourself how protective she is, well there you go Einstein!

I'm sorry every time i see a woman showering a dog with love, calling it her baby, kissing it, fondling it, etc. i just CRINGE. It's a damn dog and not a baby damnit! This is how you end up with show after show on the dog whisper where weak minded women allow a dog to rule their home and terrorize the neighbors, visitors and other dogs nearby because they spend no time training and being the alpha owner. It's always my little babyyyy.....Dog ownership should not be taken lightly and you have jumped neck deep into the deep end of the pool where you don't belong with your level of experience.

You are OBLIGATED for your daughter's and neighbors sake to get rid of this thing while you still have the chance before it gets out and attacks/ manes / kills a neighbor's dog, a neighbor, your daughter or a complete stranger. If you can't find a wolf / hybrid sanctuary that will take this thing then you do the right thing and take it out back and shoot it. If you don't have the balls for it take it to someone who will. This animal should absolutely not be allowed to breed if it hasn't been fix yet. And by the way if your still in the procreation window of your life, do us all a favor and don't have anymore kids because your completely irresponsible to say the least with your daughters well being by bringing in a half wolf hybrid into your home. Freaking idiot.

Last edited by laloesch; 05-29-2018 at 07:23 AM..

Old 03-05-2019, 07:30 PM

1 posts, read 411 times
Typically, a four year old german shepard, already living in a home it loves, is going to act up until it is fully used to its surrondings. After moths or years of training, if the dog still acts up, then do something about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs