Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 12:38 PM

605 posts, read 2,990,160 times

Advertisements

We we hiking in a state park and got caught out in the rain about 2 miles from our car last weekend. I can tell Simon was unhappy with the wet. It wasn't cold, but we ended up picking him up and carrying him after he kept trying to take shelter in the rainfree sides of trees. As he gets bigger it is harder to carry him!

Do you have a raincoat for your dog, and where did you get it? Our last dogs had thicker coats that kept their skin dry, but Simon's isn't that thick yet.

I wonder if he'd even wear one? He still has a thing with his harness. He will let me put it on, but he runs around like a crazy dog trying to rub it off on walls, doors, his crate - anything. I can tell he hates wearing it. But it has been so rainy here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 06:03 PM

213 posts, read 770,076 times
Yes, we do. Partly for convenience for the humans (so I don't have a soaking wet, smelly dog coming into the house) and partly because if it is cold and wet, my dogs have very little body fat/fur so I think they can use the protection. Two we've had for years don't mind wearing coats at all, but the new one is not thrilled about it, either that or he just doesn't like going out in the rain.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:54 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times
No raincoat here. We haven't seen rain since April here in San Diego, though when it does drizzle, Porkchop is terrified and runs home so maybe we should invest in one.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:18 AM

53 posts, read 566,023 times
I have a maltese and when he gets wet it takes a long time for him to dry so I do it to make it easier for me. I also have a doxie that doesn't like the rain and worse when he has to wear anything. But finding a raincoat of a doxie is not easy. There are many sites that are dog specific but below is a site for different types. I do think it will take time for them to get used to wearing a coat. My maltese has no issues b/c when he was a puppy i used to dress him all the time. I'm over than now

fivestarfido.com/c-274-dog-raincoats.aspx

Old 10-30-2009, 02:25 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,406,979 times
It would have to depend on the breed. I've got Chessies and Labs right now. A quick shake, the water flies and they are almost dry, especially the Chessies. Now if I had a dog with a long coat that needed grooming - you bet that I'd take whatever action was needed to help keep it from matting!

Old 10-30-2009, 02:28 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
my computer is acting goofy today, or i'd post the LOLDog from this morning that addresses this VERY subject.......and i am thinking i'm gonna have to get dave a coat or something for winter.... he is staying SO LEAN and he doesn't have the double layer of fur that bailey does.........

Old 10-30-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walthree View Post
I have a maltese and when he gets wet it takes a long time for him to dry so I do it to make it easier for me. I also have a doxie that doesn't like the rain and worse when he has to wear anything. But finding a raincoat of a doxie is not easy. There are many sites that are dog specific but below is a site for different types. I do think it will take time for them to get used to wearing a coat. My maltese has no issues b/c when he was a puppy i used to dress him all the time. I'm over than now
Awesome, and thanks! I'll look at that site.
I'd like to get him something warmer for winter, too. We geocache all winter long and spending 3-4 hours out in freezing weather won't be fun for him without some sort of coat.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
It would have to depend on the breed. I've got Chessies and Labs right now. A quick shake, the water flies and they are almost dry, especially the Chessies. Now if I had a dog with a long coat that needed grooming - you bet that I'd take whatever action was needed to help keep it from matting!
Yeah, but you're in Texas, too. What is cold there - like 60 degrees?
Up here, below zero temps are quite common. Then the rain solidifies and really starts getting tricky.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:12 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
No. My dog is typical lab. She loves the water and dives in puddles and climbs up snowbanks.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:36 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,406,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna B. View Post
Yeah, but you're in Texas, too. What is cold there - like 60 degrees?
Up here, below zero temps are quite common. Then the rain solidifies and really starts getting tricky.
LOL - its down right freezing out there tonight! I thinks its gonna be in the low 50s BRRRRR Seriously though, we have had enough rain in the least 3 weeks to make up for the shortfall all during the summer drought. I now live on "lake front property". Unfortunately that lake used to be my lawn! Thank goodness for drip-dry doggies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs