Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 09:41 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,017,319 times

Advertisements

I'm afraid we're in a situation I never dared to imagine. My husband and I are both partially employed (he has sub contract work for now, I am unemployed) and we are having difficulty with the cost of our beloved dog's preventitive care. I used a walk -in clinic instead of our regular vet for his annual Lyme,distemper vaccine. Now I am informed by my vet that they cannot O.K. his prescription for Heartgard from the online pet meds co.
Does anyone have any suggestions such as nonprofit agencies that can supplement or grant preventative care. My dog is 10 years old and in very good health and I would like to keep it that way for as long as I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 10:29 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,557,816 times
In regards to vaccines distemper is now recommended by AAHA every three years or more and studies show efficacy to 7. When I could not afford to go to a vet except for dire emergencies, I bought the shots at the farm store and gave them myself. We have vets here though that give them REAL cheap at roadside stands.

I know you are in a lyme area. You may want to look at AAHA guidelines for that too - as it is one of those vaccines voted most likely to cause problems. [just google them-it is a veterinary peer group organization]

Sent you a pm on the heartworm medicine.

I can't help you with nonprofits for preventive care but people can hardly get help with that for themselves and their kids unless they are in abject poverty [and even then it is usually NOT preventive care that is covered] and with the economy tight i doubt that would be high on the list of things people would donate money for.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:35 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,361,144 times
Call your local humane society and see if they can help. I know that you can buy Frontline Plus at the pet stores and at Costco.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:46 AM

Weo nly give Frontline Apr thru Sept and I have one dose set aside for the spring. I just got Buggah's needed vaccinations this spring so he is good for those for at least another year.

My main concern is for the ivermectin, Heartgard or he equivalent because we are in the field every day; exposure to wildlife scat is inevitable so he usually gets a dose of preventative every month but I recently ran out.

He has tested positive and treated once before for Babiosis, another deer tick disease, so that needs monitoring too.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I know you are in a lyme area. You may want to look at AAHA guidelines for that too - as it is one of those vaccines voted most likely to cause problems. [just google them-it is a veterinary peer group organization]

Yeah, I debate the real usefulness of the Lyme vaccine so I have him get it every two or three years. I figure it is the limited exposure that is supposed to peak the immune system response so that should be enough. I have constant conversations with the vets about my concerns for TOO MANY vaccines. They sorta listen.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:52 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,557,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
My main concern is for the ivermectin, Heartgard or he equivalent because we are in the field every day; exposure to wildlife scat is inevitable so he usually gets a dose of preventative every month but I recently ran out.
A lot of us put our working dogs [who are in the woods a lot] on interceptor because it does a good job with intestinal worms too.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:12 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,047,252 times
How many pounds does your dog weigh?

If he/she is in the same weight bracket as my dog, I'll gladly mail you a couple of months of Heartgard.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:18 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,912,531 times
Have you talked to the Animal Refuge League?

Animal Refuge League of Greater Portland (http://www.arlgp.org/financial_help/index.htm - broken link)
Financial Help During Tough Economic Times (http://www.arlgp.org/financial_help/financial%20assistance.pdf - broken link)

Rescue/welfare leagues in each area operate a little differently. Some are vaccines and spay/neuter only. Others are full service clinics and surgeries for low-income clients only. I'm very fortunate in that my local rescue league operates a full-service clinic/surgery regardless of income (with reduced fares offered for low-income clients only). You'll have to find out what services are available in your area. I took my cat to the rescue league clinic in my area and the total cost was only $30 for his checkup, tests, and vaccines. It was such a low-pressure pleasant experience for both me and my cat, that I will definitely be using the rescue league clinic from now on, even if/when my income level rises.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:48 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,149,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
How many pounds does your dog weigh?

If he/she is in the same weight bracket as my dog, I'll gladly mail you a couple of months of Heartgard.
Dawn, that's truly very nice of you. Remember that what goes around, comes around.

OP... for what it's worth, I learned a lesson the other day. It had to do with taking a gift that was offered. As one of the people involved said to me at the time, "You've been given a blessing. As embarrassed as you are (I was a lovely shade of maroon by that point), you simply cannot refuse a blessing that is being offered to you." I shut up and thanked the person for her graciousness.

I have an idea OP... how bout you post your dogs weight?

Old 12-04-2009, 12:03 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,047,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
Dawn, that's truly very nice of you. Remember that what goes around, comes around.

OP... for what it's worth, I learned a lesson the other day. It had to do with taking a gift that was offered. As one of the people involved said to me at the time, "You've been given a blessing. As embarrassed as you are (I was a lovely shade of maroon by that point), you simply cannot refuse a blessing that is being offered to you." I shut up and thanked the person for her graciousness.

I have an idea OP... how bout you post your dogs weight?

It's truly my pleasure to help out.

So, OP, listen to the wise FiveHorses and tell me how much your dog weighs. I wouldn't have offered if I didn't want to help. Really.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 12-04-2009 at 12:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs