Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 05:10 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times

Advertisements

My daughter came home yesterday afternoon and found a Weimeraner puppy, not quite a year old, in our driveway.
We have checked with all the neighbors, he does not belong to anyone.
His paws are very sore, he has an ear infection, is on the thin side, and is VERY timid, almost as if he has been abused.
We have taken him to the vet, no microchip, all his other health problems are being addressed.
We have owned large-breed dogs before, but I wondered if there was anything special about this breed that I need to know.
On the other hand, how could anyone dump such a beautiful and expensive dog out in the country like that?????? I just dont understand people......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 05:12 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,290,315 times
Lucky you. I don't know anything special about the breed, others might, but they are beauties.
Best of luck, and post pics when you can.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:13 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,028,490 times
Never owned one, but Ive read that they are very intelligent, have an independent streak, and require early training, as well as lot of excercise.

They were originally bred to hunt, I believe. The breed's nickname is :The Grey Ghost.

Last edited by Colddiamond102; 09-14-2009 at 05:21 PM..

Old 09-14-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
Lucky you. I don't know anything special about the breed, others might, but they are beauties.
Best of luck, and post pics when you can.
As soon as his paws heal a bit more, and he can stand comfortably, I will post pix...... btw, he is currently ensconced on an old twin mattress in the office, silently worshipping my daughter while she is on her computer.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:34 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
I had one many years ago. At 6 y/o I thought she might be so old she might die, so I got a puppy to bridge the loss for my kids. She perked up and lived another 6 yrs. She was just bored! They need a lot of exercise and a "job" of some sort. Good luck and thank you for saving this poor baby.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:40 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,195,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
My daughter came home yesterday afternoon and found a Weimeraner puppy, not quite a year old, in our driveway.
His paws are very sore, he has an ear infection, is on the thin side, and is VERY timid, almost as if he has been abused.
We have taken him to the vet, no microchip, all his other health problems are being addressed.
We have owned large-breed dogs before, but I wondered if there was anything special about this breed that I need to know.
On the other hand, how could anyone dump such a beautiful and expensive dog out in the country like that?????? I just dont understand people......
My neighbor has one. They are definatley most loving dogs. That is amazing too that someone would abandon it like that. Weimeraner pups go for about $2,000 here in Los Angeles.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
My neighbor has one. They are definatley most loving dogs. That is amazing too that someone would abandon it like that. Weimeraner pups go for about $2,000 here in Los Angeles.
Yeah, I am still just dumbfounded......btw, DD named the puppy Alphonse.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:59 PM

386 posts, read 1,363,570 times
Due to the economy many people cannot afford the upkeep of a pet and drop it off in a neighborhood hoping someone will take the animal. Timidness may be a sign of abuse or a lack of socialization. I am glad he/she found a good home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post

Old 09-14-2009, 06:04 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Never owned one, but Ive read that they are very intelligent, have an independent streak, and require early training, as well as lot of excercise.

They were originally bred to hunt, I believe. The breed's nickname is :The Grey Ghost.
This info is my understanding, as well.
I had a neighbor who had a series of them. Very well-mannered, beautiful dogs, but they did need a job to do.
Bless you for taking him in.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:43 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,493,390 times
You're very sweet to take this dog in and give him the care he needs.

I wonder how your DD came up with the name Alphonse! LOL, funny name.

My only experience with Weims is that the owners of the local Dog Bar here in Charlotte have two. They hang out behind the bar and come out to greet everyone as they come in. I guess their "job" is to be the bartenders (or maybe the bouncers?). They are beautiful and sweet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs