Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 04:02 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,040,976 times

Advertisements

Maggie -- MAK -- don't you dare side with JJ on this! I can not, will not, will NEVER express Artie's anal glands. Oh hang on, if YOU express PC's glands -- when he needs it done, that is -- then MAYBE I'll try to do Artie's. (Phew! That got me off the hook. )

JJ -- I'm not selling myself short... I AM SHORT. Oh, height isn't a requirement? I'm a chicken then. True story. And I don't want Artie to associate THAT with ME. And I may have mentioned? I'm a chicken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 04:08 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,541,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Maggie -- MAK -- don't you dare side with JJ on this! I can not, will not, will NEVER express Artie's anal glands. Oh hang on, if YOU express PC's glands -- when he needs it done, that is -- then MAYBE I'll try to do Artie's. (Phew! That got me off the hook. )

JJ -- I'm not selling myself short... I AM SHORT. Oh, height isn't a requirement? I'm a chicken then. True story. And I don't want Artie to associate THAT with ME. And I may have mentioned? I'm a chicken.

Dawn - I could NEVER do it either. Just having to smell what ends up on my couch makes me want to vomit. And it's not like the smell goes away, it lingers for a while.

Buster smelled horrific on the way home from the vet yesterday. Had it not been like 40 degrees outside, the windows would have been open in the car lol

Old 12-09-2009, 04:10 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,292,374 times
Dawn and Jaime_Mac, you two really need to come over and smell Porkchop's farts then you'll think anal glands smell like roses! That boy's behind can clear a room in seconds!

Old 12-09-2009, 04:19 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,427,070 times

I am so thankful, that in Dylan's 8 years of life, he has never had to have this done. Come to think of it, it was only his great-grandmother that had it done, and I swear, I still can smell that "scent".

None of the other Goldens since then has needed it done either! (phew)

Old 12-09-2009, 04:35 PM

167 posts, read 597,748 times
Oh My STARS - you guys have me laughing. Ok, now you have earned this story. Johnny had problems expressing his glands from the time I adopted him. I only had Johnny a couple of months and he was about a year old at the time, needed to have his glands expressed and also had torn a nipple while he was digging to China. So off to the vet we went. They wanted to clean up the nipple first so they took him into the back while I stayed in the waiting room. They had to shave the area, so I heard the buzz of the clippers and then I heard everyone in the room scream (there were 3 of them in there with Johnny). Well, I just put my head in my hands and thought, 'what did he do'. When they brought him back out, he was happy as a clam. They told me there would be no charge for expressing his glands because he did it himself when they went to shave him. He was scared of the clippers and he sprayed them all with the contents of those glands. I figured that instead of not charging me, they should have charged me triple the cost.

So this is when I learned that the anal glands serve two very important functions, the first to allow the dog to mark their territory with scent, and the second, to use as a weapon against preditors (in this case, the vet and the clippers, and all others in the room).

Oh, and I'm not letting you all off the hook, this is directed to Jamie mac, MAK, and DandJ. I used to think just like you, that I couldn't ever learn how to express his glands. But with enough time, I finally came around, and I PREDICT that in a couple of years, after dealing with the issue for enough time, you all will as well. Three years from now there will be a thread like this and you three will be telling someone else that they CAN learn to do it just as you will have by that time! Mark my words

Old 12-09-2009, 04:44 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,425,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
This might answer some of your questions and the interactive nature of the site is quite entertaining!

Anal Sacs
Something tells me I shouldn't click on that link from my work computer...

I can just imagine my boss monitoring my internet usage--

"Hmmm...a lot of time on www.city-data.com. Oh, what's this? Anal WHAT?! MAtheBanker, get in my office, NOW!"

Old 12-09-2009, 05:06 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,040,976 times
Jaime -- I'm lucky that Artie's never gotten "it" on anything. He does the bum scootching to tell me it's time... or when I'm taking off his leash and my face is near his bum, I can smell when it's time. I can't even imagine the smell of it when it's *out*. BLECH!!!

MAK -- Do you know what anal gland "stuff" smells like? You might think PC's farts smell like roses after knowing *that* smell.

Shelby -- Really??? Really???? OMG, you totally lucked out with Dylan.

JJ -- OMG! Funniest story EVER!!!! BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!! And if you think that, really, I'll ever do the expressing myself, you're off your rocker, sweets. It just ain't happening. EVER!

MA -- Don't worry. I'll be your alibi or witness or whatever you need to get you off the hook. And the alternative to "sacs" would get you in far worse trouble, I imagine.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:40 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
I take Angel to the vet to have her anal glands done. They always give her a spray of K-9 #9. It helps with the smell 99%.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:41 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,541,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Dawn and Jaime_Mac, you two really need to come over and smell Porkchop's farts then you'll think anal glands smell like roses! That boy's behind can clear a room in seconds!
Mak, I'll bring Buster and Bella....Bella's farts make me want to vomit about as much as Busters anal gland goo! lol

JJ I don't care how much I have to pay over Busters life to have someone else do it, and the vet could show me a billion times, I still will never do it!

Old 12-09-2009, 05:56 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
I'm just cheap enough that I might learn how to do it. I work with severely disabled children, and am pretty unflappable when it comes to various human bodily secretions, guess we'll see if it extends to dogs. Depends on how much a vet will routinely charge me to do it, and how often Willie ends up needing it done. We don't really get him groomed, just do it ourselves.

Thanks for the feedback, thus far, all! Good to know that the smell is "normal." I'm not sure what source claimed that the stuff should be scentless to humans, but it's good to know that that's not people's experience. It basically implied that if there was a smell, your dog probably had an infection, and I don't believe that he does...he seems fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs