Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 10:57 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,424,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post

We are going to Salt Lake in the summer. You should plan a road trip as well. Just sayin...

Woman, you KNOW I go to Utah every few months. I'm so there! Where I stay is only 45 minutes from SLC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 12:06 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,473,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
...they are fully booked and are not taking any more groups, from what I'm told. I think what they do is great, but they've gotten so much publicity and so much funding, that I personally would rather donate to a local rescue, one I know is struggling for cash.
It's just a dream for me, for one day in the future.

I do donate to a very wonderful rescue up in Washington state and one in Montana. They (WA) are incredible and have strong ties to Best Friends. They're a little more on the activist side of things...laws, following court cases, helping to build criminal cases, etc. They only give tours twice a year...every animal is kept for its life, no matter what.

I fell in love with one dog there, and the lady was literally begging me to go to a shelter and get a dog...because when they get a dog, it will always have a home. They just don't have the money that BF does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Go for it! Of course, may be alittle cool this time of year....I have a million Southern Utah pics...but this will give you an idea of the beauty in the area!
Don't know if you were talking to me, but Shelby, how gorgeous. Cool I can take since I'd be bringing my little one with me. He doesn't handle hot weather too well. More pics, please?

Old 12-30-2009, 12:09 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
oh man ..... this place is DEFINITELY going on my bucket list.......

Old 12-30-2009, 12:26 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times
The red rocks in Southern Utah were sooooo much nicer than anything I've seen in Sedona! Such a beautiful state! So far, my favorite to drive through!

Old 12-30-2009, 01:52 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Phoenix and Salt Lake City are about a six-hour drive, LV is a four-hour drive. I loathe LV, but the car rental cost from LV was some $700 less than SLC, so... I wanted to make the drive from SLC down to Kanab, having not done so in many years.
The drive from LV of course is fine once you get out of Nevada.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:54 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I give to many different groups, and know that B.F. doesn't need my Northeast butt there for volunteer help! I do love the area, and find visiting there to be like being on a planet where everything works right (and yes, it has its flaws) but it's like a shot in the arm for the rest of life and volunteering and contributing. Also great as part of a road trip in my favorite part of the world- the U.S. Southwest. (Although my last "vacation," driving from LV to Denver and horsebacking up above Capitol Reef was a bit... exhausting).
Road trip!

Old 12-30-2009, 04:02 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times
If anyone wants to help a dog in need, PM me. I'm not allowed to post a link soliciting donations, but there is a dog in SC who was lured, along with another dog, into a neighbor's yard and used for target practice, using real bullets. One dog died, the other is still alive and needs lots of surgeries to fix all the injuries. The link is directly to the rescue, and you'd be dealing with the rescue once I send you the link. They have raised 31% of their goal as of now, and this fundraiser ends on January 4th!

Old 12-30-2009, 04:12 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
My wife & I have been there twice, once together, strictly volunteering, no adoptions as we already have 3. If you go you really need to allot extra time to take in the scenery. Also you need not stay on the grounds as Kanab is 5 mi south with several motels to choose from. The staff at BF are absolutely wonderful & unlike shelters knowing the animals have a permanent hope actually lifts the spirits. I always came home rejuvenated & ready to deal with the humans. I highly recommend it.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:08 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,473,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
My wife & I have been there twice, once together, strictly volunteering, no adoptions as we already have 3. If you go you really need to allot extra time to take in the scenery. Also you need not stay on the grounds as Kanab is 5 mi south with several motels to choose from. The staff at BF are absolutely wonderful & unlike shelters knowing the animals have a permanent hope actually lifts the spirits. I always came home rejuvenated & ready to deal with the humans. I highly recommend it.
Thanks for your input. It's definitely on my bucket list, for sure.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:05 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
Hey WF.....More pics to come....tomorrow...just got in and will not have the chance tonight! And YES....that was directed at YOU!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs