Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 05:17 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,474,297 times

Advertisements

I was curious since it came up in a different thread:

Could those of you who have been to Best Friends share their experiences?
Was it worth the trip-
Did you adopt or get to foster a pup-
Cost of staying at the Society (don't they have cabins to rent?)
Would you go again, if able-

Just your general impressions of the entire experience would be great.

Someday I hope to get there myself, so I am very interested in everyone's perspective. Thank you ~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 08:04 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,591,680 times
My 2 sisters and I went to Best Friends and spent a week in Oct 2005. It was after the Hurricane so most volunteers were down south so not as many at Best Friends. We did not stay at the cabins but did stay at a guest house a lady that does rescue had. We did do a couple over nights with a couple different dogs and we took other dogs on walks into town besides doing work at Best Friends and walking on their property with many different dogs. I loved it and would go again.

The only thing I did not like was my one sister was looking for a dog and found a shepherd mix that was there for killing a lamb or being part of a pack that did so. We took him on an over night and it was instant love between the two. He had been an outdoor dog and my sister was planning to keep him outside in her fenced yard with the 1/2 of the garage and a dog house to go in to when she was at work and the rest of the time he would be inside with her and sleep inside too. That is what she did with her collie of 16 yrs.She lives in Portland OR. She does not have a pet door nor does she want one for several reasons one being where she lives as who wants a wet muddy dog going in and out all day when you are not home or critters like racoons coming inside? Well Best Friends would not let her have the dog because she did not have a dog door! They were so focused on that one issue that they totally over looked that she had a collie for 16 yrs to me that says you are a good owner to be able to keep a large dog alive that long and trust me he was one spoiled dog! Anyway that sort of spoiled the trip as her dog had been dead for several years and this was the first time she had found another dog that she was interested in and he was such a sweet dog they would have had a great life together. It made me wonder how serious they are about their mission of no more homeless pets as it is when rescues get so pickey like that that people turn to puppymill/ pet stores or back yard breeders. We wrote them letters but they would not allow the adoption unless she did the dog door and she was not about to put in a dog door so she never did get the dog.

The canyon that B.F. sits in is beautiful and we ate lunch everyday up on Angels landing where they had a fantsatic vegetarian lunch for I think it was $5.00 and a view to enjoy that was incredible. The people in all the dog areas were always very nice and fun to talk too . The housing for the old dogs was one of my favorites as the old dogs were just so special and as luck would have it one of my favorites was later adopted by Brightdoglover as I later discovered on this forum. That old cattle dog just grabbed my heart and I hated leaving without him but I did not need another dog and Jazz would have had major issues with him. It was a fun experience to share with my sisters too and now I would like to go back with a friend or two and share it with them.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:19 AM

18,732 posts, read 33,402,036 times
I spent a week there for a volunteer vacation in August, 2007, and stopped in for a couple of days during a road trip July, 2009. I stayed in the cottages for that week- I forget how much it was, I think something like $650/wk for a lovely little condo-like cottage with two double beds, a full kitchen, big bath, living room, and deck overlooking the horse pasture. I highly recommend staying at a cottage or cabin, and you have to book these WAY in advance. During my recent drive through, I stayed at Quail Park Motor Lodge in Kanab, found it delightful and a good value for low price (many good reviews on Trip Advisor).
If you do a volunteer vacation and stay on-grounds, you can volunteer as little or as much as you like. Some people, especially if traveling with others, might spend time visiting the nearby national parks (everyone should see Zion in their lives! I signed up to work at Old Friends in the morning (old dogs) and horses in the afternoon, but found out the hard way that I was wildly allergic to something despite triple Claritin and no history of allergies. I believe the allergy was to to everything that makes a tumbleweed- Russian thistle, pig weed, etc. For this reason, I wouldn't go again in the summer, but would happily (will) go again sometime in another season.
I second that the area is stunning as are the grounds of B.F. intself. Staff people were very helpful and pleasant to deal with.
I did take overnight dogs three different nights. You sign out an animal and take him/her overnight, whether on grounds or in town (town facilities know where their bread is buttered!). You get a little crate with treats, a brush, toys, etc., and an evaluation form. Of course, there is the idea that you might adopt the dog you take overnight, or take for several overnights. In my case, I had already agreed to adopt a very shy dog (Eloise) and knew taking her overnight wouldn't work, so I asked for dogs who don't always get to go. I did decide that one overnight dog would have to be mine in the future (RIP sweet Otis the Chow) but his health wasn't up to it and Kristi emailed me some time later that Otis had crossed over peacefully.
I wasn't there to find a dog to adopt. I had already adopted one without visiting, by seeing him in the magazine (Powell) and having a local rep check my home for adoption. Afte that, I adopted two dogs long-distance- the afore-mentioned and much-missed little cattle dog, the magnificent Ezra, and a wild beauty suggested to me by Kristi, Chippy (who had to go back to B.F. after 1 1/2 yrs. for a sudden and violent aversion to one of my little seniors. B.F. was wonderful in helping me get her back to Utah. I still miss her).
The Puppy Center wasn't there when I was there. I can't imagine anything more fun that volunteering to socialize puppies! Two older ladies in the cottage next to me worked in a different area in the morning and then afternoon- they made the rounds of all assignments for their own interest. I found that even walking the oldsters was hard (for me) as I forgot about the altitude (and my flubber- didn't used to bother me) and it was an extremely hot period. Still, the whole place is gorgeous for walking any animal or whatever you choose to do. You do meet with the volunteer coordinator to be briefed before volunteering, get an I.D., sign up for certain jobs at certain times so they sort of keep track of all the people roaming around!
Because I was adopting a shy dog, I did spend time sitting in her run, with her lying a safe distance away and staring at me. I've had her for two years now, and she still does the same thing!
I even met with the gifts/behests/wills woman and made arrangements for the future.
I heartily recommend a visit, a volunteer vacation (or a voluneer day or two), time to see the absolutely magnificent riot of geology that is southern Utah. I fully intend to go again even if I do have to fly through 'choke' Las Vegas (not a favorite spot but the nearest and cheapest major airport/car rental).

Old 12-30-2009, 08:24 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,425,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I spent a week there for a volunteer vacation in August, 2007, and stopped in for a couple of days during a road trip July, 2009. I stayed in the cottages for that week- I forget how much it was, I think something like $650/wk for a lovely little condo-like cottage with two double beds, a full kitchen, big bath, living room, and deck overlooking the horse pasture. I highly recommend staying at a cottage or cabin, and you have to book these WAY in advance. During my recent drive through, I stayed at Quail Park Motor Lodge in Kanab, found it delightful and a good value for low price (many good reviews on Trip Advisor).
If you do a volunteer vacation and stay on-grounds, you can volunteer as little or as much as you like. Some people, especially if traveling with others, might spend time visiting the nearby national parks (everyone should see Zion in their lives! I signed up to work at Old Friends in the morning (old dogs) and horses in the afternoon, but found out the hard way that I was wildly allergic to something despite triple Claritin and no history of allergies. I believe the allergy was to to everything that makes a tumbleweed- Russian thistle, pig weed, etc. For this reason, I wouldn't go again in the summer, but would happily (will) go again sometime in another season.
I second that the area is stunning as are the grounds of B.F. intself. Staff people were very helpful and pleasant to deal with.
I did take overnight dogs three different nights. You sign out an animal and take him/her overnight, whether on grounds or in town (town facilities know where their bread is buttered!). You get a little crate with treats, a brush, toys, etc., and an evaluation form. Of course, there is the idea that you might adopt the dog you take overnight, or take for several overnights. In my case, I had already agreed to adopt a very shy dog (Eloise) and knew taking her overnight wouldn't work, so I asked for dogs who don't always get to go. I did decide that one overnight dog would have to be mine in the future (RIP sweet Otis the Chow) but his health wasn't up to it and Kristi emailed me some time later that Otis had crossed over peacefully.
I wasn't there to find a dog to adopt. I had already adopted one without visiting, by seeing him in the magazine (Powell) and having a local rep check my home for adoption. Afte that, I adopted two dogs long-distance- the afore-mentioned and much-missed little cattle dog, the magnificent Ezra, and a wild beauty suggested to me by Kristi, Chippy (who had to go back to B.F. after 1 1/2 yrs. for a sudden and violent aversion to one of my little seniors. B.F. was wonderful in helping me get her back to Utah. I still miss her).
The Puppy Center wasn't there when I was there. I can't imagine anything more fun that volunteering to socialize puppies! Two older ladies in the cottage next to me worked in a different area in the morning and then afternoon- they made the rounds of all assignments for their own interest. I found that even walking the oldsters was hard (for me) as I forgot about the altitude (and my flubber- didn't used to bother me) and it was an extremely hot period. Still, the whole place is gorgeous for walking any animal or whatever you choose to do. You do meet with the volunteer coordinator to be briefed before volunteering, get an I.D., sign up for certain jobs at certain times so they sort of keep track of all the people roaming around!
Because I was adopting a shy dog, I did spend time sitting in her run, with her lying a safe distance away and staring at me. I've had her for two years now, and she still does the same thing!
I even met with the gifts/behests/wills woman and made arrangements for the future.
I heartily recommend a visit, a volunteer vacation (or a voluneer day or two), time to see the absolutely magnificent riot of geology that is southern Utah. I fully intend to go again even if I do have to fly through 'choke' Las Vegas (not a favorite spot but the nearest and cheapest major airport/car rental).
Pfffft, fly in to Phoenix next time. I'll drive you to Kanab for free! I drive that at least every 4 months.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:28 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,427,070 times
I've been "by" there a million times, but never have had the time or opportunity to stop and spend some time. Looks like I missed out!
I hate Vegas...but have always flown into there as well....Yuk! But, the surrounding countryside of Southern Utah is absolutely gorgeous!

Old 12-30-2009, 09:08 AM

Thank you all so very much for sharing.

This might not be the same thing, Dashdog, but several years ago a shepherd mix dog was caught either killing chickens or chasing lambs...something like that. The farmer didn't get a chance to shoot the dog, because the dog ran home almost immediately.

The farmer took the owner to court. In Oregon dogs can be put down for attacking livestock. Anyway, a deal was struck with a Gold-bless-him-wonderful judge. The deal was that Best Friends could keep the dog but never release him to another home.

It was on the news, when a few years after that the former 'owner' went to BF to see his dog. The dog recognized him from a good distance away and started going nuts: yelping, barking, jumping up and down....it was really heart-rendering.

Not saying it's the same dog, but it sure reminded me of that. How odd that BF wouldn't let that dog go home with your friend, but it's their ballywick, and who knows what they were thinking. I'm sorry.

How incredible that Brighdoglover ended up adopting Ezra, whom you had fallen in love with. That's what I call Karma.

One day, if any of you wish and can make the trip again, let's get together and at least meet up there. I've been by Salt lake City and found the surrounding areas to be some of the most beautiful I've ever seen. I wonder if southern Utah is much like that?

Again, thanks for sharing your experiences.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:30 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,425,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post

One day, if any of you wish and can make the trip again, let's get together and at least meet up there. I've been by Salt lake City and found the surrounding areas to be some of the most beautiful I've ever seen. I wonder if southern Utah is much like that?

Again, thanks for sharing your experiences.
Salt Lake is beautiful but southern Utah is GORGEOUS! There are a bunch of national parks right in that area, and they are all different and unique. You need to go check it out some time. BF is located in a canyon which in and of itself is absolutely breath taking. I've driven past at least 50 times.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
Salt Lake is beautiful but southern Utah is GORGEOUS! There are a bunch of national parks right in that area, and they are all different and unique. You need to go check it out some time. BF is located in a canyon which in and of itself is absolutely breath taking. I've driven past at least 50 times.
I've seen pics, but it's just not the same is it? Yup, one day I want to take a slow trip down through that area, take my time, and stay different places for a few days. I checked through travelocity and the airfare to LV is only $333 round-trip right now. Not too bad...

Old 12-30-2009, 10:40 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,292,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
I've been "by" there a million times, but never have had the time or opportunity to stop and spend some time. Looks like I missed out!
I hate Vegas...but have always flown into there as well....Yuk! But, the surrounding countryside of Southern Utah is absolutely gorgeous!
So we agree! Vegas is my least favorite (major) US city, and none of my friends could understand why! I absolutely loved Utah and it's one of my favorite states. It's just so stunning there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
We are going to Salt Lake in the summer. You should plan a road trip as well. Just sayin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
I've seen pics, but it's just not the same is it? Yup, one day I want to take a slow trip down through that area, take my time, and stay different places for a few days. I checked through travelocity and the airfare to LV is only $333 round-trip right now. Not too bad...
A few of my friends have been to Best Friends, but right now, they are fully booked and are not taking any more groups, from what I'm told. I think what they do is great, but they've gotten so much publicity and so much funding, that I personally would rather donate to a local rescue, one I know is struggling for cash.

And that sounds like a really high airfare for Vegas, esp at this time of year! My friend flew in from NYC for under $200!

Old 12-30-2009, 10:48 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,427,070 times
Go for it! Of course, may be alittle cool this time of year....I have a million Southern Utah pics...but this will give you an idea of the beauty in the area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs