Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 01:15 PM

45 posts, read 80,360 times

Advertisements

I just located an English Bulldog breeder in Missouri and I'm curious to see if there will be any recommendations for her. Her pups look excellent and have champion bloodlines and are champion sired as well. They conform to the breed standard from everything I see.

I have sent her a lengthy email asking several questions as well as requesting a vet reference and a reference from someone who has purchased a puppy from her.

I'm getting an odd feeling. I don't know if I'm just nervous to purchase another dog or if it's something else. I'm a nervous nelly when it comes to these kinds of things and tend to overthink things. I had the same feelings about a Pomeranian I bought for my mom and everything has worked out wonderfully for them.

Here's to hoping to hear a recommendation of her!

Also, if any English Bulldog experts are out there and would like to look over the puppies I'm talking about, please feel free to pm me and I will send you the link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 02:04 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Plan a visit to the Breeder! To many puppy mills esp in that area!

Old 01-10-2010, 02:32 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Look at the Bulldog club of the US for breeders, BCA Breeder Referral Service (http://www.thebca.org/breedref.html - broken link)

I would NEVER go with any breeder who 1) is in Missouri and offers to ship a puppy, 2) even THINK about shipping ANY puppy. Missouri is TEEMING with puppy mills. And you really need to visit ANY breeder. Ask the right questions: how often is the female bred (a good breeder will breed a female once every TWO years). More often is very detrimental to the female. Why are they breeding? A good breeder breeds to improve the breed. Do they do genetic testing? A good breeder will do all kinds of genetic testing on both parents.

Why not consider rescue? There are TONS of deserving bulldogs, who are wonderful dogs, but have lost their homes due to their families losing their homes! The rescues are FILLED with bulldogs whose families were foreclosed and had to give up their wonderful (trained!) dogs!

Old 01-10-2010, 03:09 PM

In the email I have sent her, and mind you I haven't heard back yet, I asked for two visits. One visit while the puppy will still be nursing, to ensure I can actually see the puppy nursing from its mother and that it actually belongs to her. I've seen and heard of people passing off puppies of another dog's as theirs. The other visit would be when we'd pick the puppy up.

One of my concerns is the fact they're in Missouri. I remember when I was buying my mom's Pomeranian in Southern Maryland and discovered Amish farmers were mass breeding the puppies there. (We actually went to a farm and saw this!) I in turn went home afterwards and began researching Amish farmers raising dogs and found on various sites to be careful when purchasing puppies, especially expensive breeds, in Missouri, Pennsylvania (Lancaster County, specifically), Southern Maryland and a couple of other areas.

I found this breeder via the Tennessean...

Old 01-10-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Look at the Bulldog club of the US for breeders, BCA Breeder Referral Service (http://www.thebca.org/breedref.html - broken link)

I would NEVER go with any breeder who 1) is in Missouri and offers to ship a puppy, 2) even THINK about shipping ANY puppy. Missouri is TEEMING with puppy mills. And you really need to visit ANY breeder. Ask the right questions: how often is the female bred (a good breeder will breed a female once every TWO years). More often is very detrimental to the female. Why are they breeding? A good breeder breeds to improve the breed. Do they do genetic testing? A good breeder will do all kinds of genetic testing on both parents.

Why not consider rescue? There are TONS of deserving bulldogs, who are wonderful dogs, but have lost their homes due to their families losing their homes! The rescues are FILLED with bulldogs whose families were foreclosed and had to give up their wonderful (trained!) dogs!
I have contacted some Bulldog rescues. The problem with them is they won't let us adopt due to our children's ages (4 yo, 2 yo, and 3 months old). The other problem I've run into is they want people with various amounts of experience with Bulldogs.

We've also considered adopting a mutt, but due to provisions that will be placed within our rental contract, the breed of dog we own must be stated. If there's even 1% Pitt Bull, Rottie, German Sheperd, etc. in the dog, we will be forced to move or get rid of the dog. I'm assuming we'd have to do the blood DNA test to determine the breeds in the dog? My in-laws have a wonderful mixed breed dog that just wandered to the house a few months ago. If I could do it, I'd so be for it. He's one of the best dogs ever.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:32 PM

With so many young children, frankly a puppy is the LAST thing you should have. They are a TON of work. And the puppy mills in Missouri have special areas AWAY from the horrible barns where the dogs are kept and you'd never know it's a mill when you visit. It's ALL A sham.

And with children so young, I wouldn't trust them around a puppy or a puppy around them. I've seen it all too often. A parent who SWEARS the children and dog will be supervised at all times turns his or her back for a NANOSECOND, the child hurts the dog and the dog bites to defend itself. And the puppy goes. Yes, the parents vow that they've taught their children to be gentle with the dog. Uh huh. And if you believe that, I have a bridge in Brooklyn you might be interested in buying.

DO NOT GET A PUPPY. Why not get a labrador retriever rescue or a golden retriever rescue? There are TONS of great rescues out there that are GREAT with children, and who are already trained.

Frankly, I wouldn't place a puppy in a family with such young children. It's a recipe for disaster, and I've been doing dog rescue placements for almost 7 years.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:32 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,400,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishFamily2010 View Post
I just located an English Bulldog breeder in Missouri and I'm curious to see if there will be any recommendations for her. Her pups look excellent and have champion bloodlines and are champion sired as well. They conform to the breed standard from everything I see.
I have sent her a lengthy email asking several questions as well as requesting a vet reference and a reference from someone who has purchased a puppy from her.

I'm getting an odd feeling. I don't know if I'm just nervous to purchase another dog or if it's something else. I'm a nervous nelly when it comes to these kinds of things and tend to overthink things. I had the same feelings about a Pomeranian I bought for my mom and everything has worked out wonderfully for them.

Here's to hoping to hear a recommendation of her!

Also, if any English Bulldog experts are out there and would like to look over the puppies I'm talking about, please feel free to pm me and I will send you the link.
Can I ask why you want an English Bull Dog? Yes they are wonderful but they also are one of the most stubborn breeds to train and do not do very well with children. I'd also like to suggest that you look at other breeds until your children are a bit older. As for the lease contract, they have to go by what is on the adoption papers. If your adoption papers say that the dog is a Lab/Spaniel mix (for example) that is what they MUST go by. DNA test for dogs are not reliable enough to even be used in US courts much less for a lesser legal stand. Please consider another breed for right now and if you must go through a breeder (for any breed), use one that is recommended on the recognized AKC Breed website rather than thru the newspaper. News papers and certain websites are a haven for scammers and puppy mills. Good Luck!

Old 01-10-2010, 04:40 PM

I should add that bulldogs (and it's not 'English' bulldogs - they're just 'bulldogs') have many, MANY medical problems. So make sure you have enough funds to make all those vet visits. They have more issues than pugs (I have a pug and I'd never have a bulldog) and I thought pugs were the most medically needy! WRONG!

Old 01-10-2010, 04:54 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,267,326 times
I am going to DM you...I was born, raised & still live in MO. I know it very well.
I agree... you need to look into rescue. I also would pick another breed of dog or even a mix would be great. Later a few years down the road if you still want a bulldog, your kids will be older, but you'll still have some of the medical problems that bulldogs have. Having 3 young kids, they could also get a bulldog all wound up and many if not most of them have breathing problems.
No matter what the breed is...you need to do research on that type of dog.
Check your DM... I want to ask you about the breeder, as for a s location.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:42 PM

We've considered other breeds, especially Boxers, since that's what we've predominately owned the past six years. However, we're wanting to get away from the breed because both have had severe health issues due to their over breeding. The first one we unknowingly bought from a puppy mill; the second one came from a "reputable" breeder and has gran mal seizures. Due to the seizures and how it has affected her, she resides with my grandparents because she cannot tolerate a busy environment. If anyone here has experienced holding your beloved dog while she succumbs to a gran mal seizure and you see the fear in her eyes immediately beforehand and the confusion afterwards, you'd be leery of buying just any dog too. Watching her during her seizures is the most amount of heartache I have ever encountered in regards to pets. It hurts more than even when I lost my first pet.

Why do we want to add an (English) Bulldog to our family? My family had one when I was younger and he was one of the best dogs we ever owned. He was better than the Pug and Boston Terrier we had, too. Our Pug was never any trouble until his later years. He and the Boston Terrier both passed away in 2008. The Pug was 15 and the Boston Terrier was 9. The breed of dog feels right, but the breeder doesn't necessarily feel right, I guess. And like I said, after what I've encountered with my last two dogs, especially the last Boxer, I'm leery of adding another to our family.

And lastly, as I've said before, we're limited on size and breed as to what we can have. My husband works in the law enforcement field and I want something that will be able to protect us while he's away at night. But at the same time, I don't want something that's gonna bark at every little thing.

FWIW, I've trained several dogs with small children. If there's a will, there's a way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs