Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 11:31 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,046,738 times

Advertisements

Without having all the details, this may sound much worse than it probably is.

A cyst is basically an abcess. A pimple is a cyst.

Dogs sometimes get them on their bodies. Many times it's on their ear. They are usually filled with nasty fluid.
Veterinarians incise them to drain the fluid and usually that's all that's involved. That process is probably called surgery.

Anytime you have an open wound, there's a chance that it can get infected.
It's been many years since I worked for a veterinarian. I can't remember what we did for medication to prevent infection.

Don't know about this one unless the owner did more than just drain it...

Cyst - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by World Citizen; 02-08-2010 at 11:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 12:38 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,979,304 times
That article contains precious little information. It does indicate that he performed surgery to remove the cyst, not just drain it though. In general, cysts are pretty harmless and not painful. Am I missing something? I'm not sure why this owner decided to put his dog through the pain and trauma of surgery apparently without the benefit of anesthesia, pain medicine or antibiotics. And I really, really don't understand how this situation is the vet's fault. That owner made a choice to practice veterinary medicine without the education and skills needed to do so safely and ethically. And his dog suffered for it.

Last edited by kansas sky; 02-08-2010 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: edited for accuracy

Old 02-08-2010, 12:39 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,372,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Very good points!

(and you did spell "pompous" correctly )
LOL.. thanks. Wasn't really sure on that one. It's not often I have to use such a pompous vocabulary to exact my feelings of disgust and disdain for certain peoples in their chosen professions.

My older brother developed a cyst behind his ear years back. He sterlized his "lance' in alcohol, and cleaned the area responsibly before attempting to cut open an area of his head he couldn't see. ...I remember the doctors in the emergency room chiding him for that, as well (when he finally gave up and consented we drive him there). hehe.

I think anyone would jump to say "leave it to the professionals!" - but this wasn't a case of criminial or negligent behavior on behalf of his animal, it was a case of lack of funds. That's like cutting off a child's hand for stealing an apple.. when the child was starving to begin with. ..but if I'm not mistaken, that sort of logic has been addressed and disected over the decades as well.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylandkitten View Post
I think anyone would jump to say "leave it to the professionals!" - but this wasn't a case of criminial or negligent behavior on behalf of his animal, it was a case of lack of funds. That's like cutting off a child's hand for stealing an apple.. when the child was starving to begin with. ..but if I'm not mistaken, that sort of logic has been addressed and disected over the decades as well.
I see where you're coming from here, I do. However on a purely practical level, the dog had to have another surgery to treat the infection he acquired from the non-professional surgery. That didn't save much money did it?

Old 02-08-2010, 01:15 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
As much as I hate to hear this kind of thing, at least when the dog was infected, he took it to a vet.

I guess he just could have shot it or something.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylandkitten View Post
LOL.. thanks. Wasn't really sure on that one. It's not often I have to use such a pompous vocabulary to exact my feelings of disgust and disdain for certain peoples in their chosen professions.

My older brother developed a cyst behind his ear years back. He sterlized his "lance' in alcohol, and cleaned the area responsibly before attempting to cut open an area of his head he couldn't see. ...I remember the doctors in the emergency room chiding him for that, as well (when he finally gave up and consented we drive him there). hehe.

I agree.

The article doesn't really say exactly what was done either time.... I really wonder what surgery was involved.

I worked for a veterinarian and I've assisted with treating cysts many times. In most cases, "surgery" to drain a cyst / abcess is done without any kind of anesthetic.
It is really not painful for the animal. About the same, I would imagine, as getting a shot.

These things can fill back up and require draining again. I wonder if that's the case here or if it truly was infected.

Farmers treat their horses and animals all of the time without formal education.

It sounds as though this has been blown out of proportion.

I'd certainly find another vet.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Surgery... ??? The article doesn't really say exactly what was done.
But, I really wonder what surgery was involved.

I worked for a veterinarian and I've assisted with treating cysts many times.

In most cases, "surgery" to drain a cyst / abcess is done without any kind of anesthetic.
It is really not painful for the animal. About the same, I would imagine, as getting a shot.

These things can fill back up and require draining again. I wonder if that's the case here or if it truly was infected.

Farmers treat their horses and animals all of the time without formal education.

It sounds as though this has been blown out of proportion.

I'd certainly find another vet.
I'm not about to vouch for the accuracy of the article. Who knows how careful this reporter was. However it does say 'removed' and not 'drained.' FWIW, I am a registered vet tech and familiar with cyst drainage and surgery as well.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
I'm not about to vouch for the accuracy of the article. Who knows how careful this reporter was. However it does say 'removed' and not 'drained.' FWIW, I am a registered vet tech and familiar with cyst drainage and surgery as well.
I thought you might be somehow involved in the area of veterinary care based on your responses.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:03 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,372,797 times
The article doesn't provide as much information as I'd like, before casting my eternal damnation upon them

But with that said .... we're all right, and fighting for the same side at least. Vets are horribly expensive, and I make peanuts for a living - but there's not one thing I wouldn't hesitate to cut out of my life if it was a matter of life or death for one of my furbabies. Because we all love our animals dearly....as it should be.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:06 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,585,020 times
How terrible! Poor desperate man but he took a bad decision playing with his dog's health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
I don't care what it costs for our dogs, if they needed surgery. We wouldn't eat for a week if that's what it took to help our babies.
Sometimes that doesn't cover even 10% of the bill...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarsugar View Post
If you didn't have the resources that some of these clients had, what can you do except watch your beloved dog die?
Exactly. These situations break my heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs