Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 04:54 PM

51 posts, read 87,898 times

Advertisements

Yah, I've had my dog since I was 6, I am now 19 and I consider him my little brother (even though technically he's older than me), but yes - I consider him family and would choose him over other human family members..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 05:53 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Rep from me for all that answered. Either way, you put your feelings out there.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:56 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
dogs show alota respect and appreciation. come valentines day, please think about this family people who we feed and house every day.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:11 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,953,749 times
Yes. Without a doubt. Fortunately my better half feels the same way about the dog too. One dog, two sides of the family and the dog still wins hands down. He has a very good life.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:25 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
My dog may unconditionally love me, which is cool...but he would unconditionally love whoever was putting food in his bowl and scratching his belly, I have no illusions about that. We have a relationship, but not the same type of reciprocal relationship that I share with my human loved ones. And I don't have a single human loved one who pees on my floor, emits anal gland fluid on my couch, or gnaws a hole in the middle of my down comforter, or chews through my laptop cord, either.

Don't get me wrong, I still love him. But he doesn't outrank my boyfriend, mom, dad, or siblings.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:35 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,541,898 times
My boyfriend thinks I'm out of my mind that I bring the dogs to the vet when they're sick or that I spend money on good food for them, or that I want to buy them a nice comfortable bed to sleep in so they stop sleeping in our bed.....he thinks they're just dogs, and yes they are just dogs, but they're a little more than "just dogs" to me.

I consider them family members, especially Buster because I've had him since he was 8 weeks old. Yes it sounds silly to say that he was there for me when I was going through some hard times and my so called best friends weren't there, but it's the truth.

So he thinks they're just dogs that can eatMod cutfood and sleep on the floor and don't need to go to the doctor, but I feel differently and I know there are tons of people in this world that agree with me.

Last edited by Viralmd; 02-14-2010 at 05:37 AM..

Old 02-13-2010, 07:40 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's crazy to feed your pets nutritious food, or care for them when ill, and care for their comfort. I'm just saying that I don't put them on a pedestal over my human loved ones. There are certainly people in my life who I DON'T like, who my dog ranks higher than, of course. There are people I wouldn't pee on if they were on fire. Those aren't the people I'm talking about, though, and they're certainly not my family.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:41 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,541,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's crazy to feed your pets nutritious food, or care for them when ill, and care for their comfort. I'm just saying that I don't put them on a pedestal over my human loved ones. There are certainly people in my life who I DON'T like, who my dog ranks higher than, of course. There are people I wouldn't pee on if they were on fire. Those aren't the people I'm talking about, though, and they're certainly not my family.

I have family members I wouldn't pee on if they were on fire....so I do hold my dogs over those particular members....minus my dad and my boyfriend and maybe one or two friends....my dogs rank higher than most people I know.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:51 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times
I think I'm with the majority here - depends on the family member. Do my dogs rank above my son? Or my immediate family members? Absolutely not.

But that 4th cousin twice removed that's always rude to me at family reunions? Dogs win.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:16 AM

19,542 posts, read 9,552,731 times
Sounds like you and your boyfriend have totally opposite viewpoints when it comes to "pets". This could lead to some serious contention in the future. Maybe your boyfriend's attitude will soften in time? Pets do require the proper veterinarian care when they are sick and injured, but it's equally important to take the proper precautions to prevent the animal from harm. It can also save you money in the long run. Proper nutrition and taking necessary precautions to prevent harm, can cut down on extra trips to the vet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs