Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 09:55 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times

Advertisements

OK, so Artie is the. most. finicky. eater. EVER!!!!!

His kibble is a mixture of Taste of the Wild (bison/venison) and Wellness Core. Does that make him happy? No. It used to but not anymore.

I had to start adding pieces of baked or boiled chicken breast to it... and a veggie (green beans or broccoli)... and even then, he'd just pick out the good stuff (chicken and veg), leaving about half of the kibble to be thrown out. (I had to throw it out because he gets Metamucil on his meals -- for his poop issues -- and his saliva would cause the kibble to get a coating of "orange juice".)

Frustrating!

It was a lot of effort to do the chicken/veggie thing. Not to mention the cost. And not to mention the cost of throwing out a lot of good kibble after each meal.

And then MAK802 turned me onto the doggie crack.

Stella & Chewy's freeze-dried food. It's the same stuff as they sell raw, but this is freeze-dried. Artie likes the lamb a lot. And he loooooves the duck/goose. (Of course my guy likes pate! )

Well, I certainly can't afford to give Artie 6 or 8 patties per meal -- this stuff costs a FORTUNE!!!! -- but I did this:

I took HALF of one patty. I broke it up into tiny pieces (it's easy to rub it between your fingers and create a DUST of it, especially the duck one) and shook it up in his food, so that all of his kibble got a "dusting" of the patty flavoring.

Guess what? Artie ate EVERY LAST PIECE of food in his bowl.

One shot wonder? Nope. We've done this for the last 3 or 4 days, and he wolfs it all down, kibble and all.

In the last month or so, Artie wouldn't eat his breakfast. He'd only eat it while I was eating lunch -- after I'd added even more delectables to his bowl (a carrot, chicken jerky) -- and he'd still leave half the kibble. This morning was the first time I crushed up half a patty in his morning meal... He ate it as soon as I put the bowl on the floor. It was like I couldn't crush the patty quick enough for him, he was all excited when I took it out of the bag. The pressure to work fast!

Anyway, I just wanted to pass on this tip if you have a finicky eater like I do.

Thanks, M, for turning me onto this product. Artie loves his crack!

Last edited by DawnMTL; 02-26-2010 at 10:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 11:08 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
I should be a spokesperson for Orijen, since I get just about every single person that enters my friend's pet store to switch. You? I see a future with Stella and Chewy's! PC is still sleeping, otherwise his breakfast would be devoured too! Glad to hear Artie is eating...but, I'm sure many want to know, how are his poops???

Old 02-26-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I should be a spokesperson for Orijen, since I get just about every single person that enters my friend's pet store to switch. You? I see a future with Stella and Chewy's! PC is still sleeping, otherwise his breakfast would be devoured too! Glad to hear Artie is eating...but, I'm sure many want to know, how are his poops???
HAHAHAHA!!! I meant to tell you in the last email that I sent to you -- his poops are PERFECT!

I was actually a little nervous giving him even just half a patty with each meal -- it seemed too fast for a new food, even as a supplement -- but he's had NO poop problem AT ALL. I'm such a proud Mama.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:22 PM

298 posts, read 998,343 times
DandJ, thanks for letting me know about this. Your dog resembles mine so maybe it's in their genes!

Old 02-26-2010, 03:45 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Ya think Arte's gonna figure out a new way to work you once the newness of this stuff wears off?

Old 02-26-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Ya think Arte's gonna figure out a new way to work you once the newness of this stuff wears off?
Absolutely. 100%. You hit the nail right on the head.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:16 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Soon, you'll be turning a fine filet to 'dust' and sprinkling it over Artie's food. What's next?

But I do understand when you have a picky eater. It's hard. I'm much too weak to just say well eat it or starve!

Actually with Ringo I could. But Lucy's so tiny I worry when she doesn't eat and drink.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Soon, you'll be turning a fine filet to 'dust' and sprinkling it over Artie's food. What's next?

But I do understand when you have a picky eater. It's hard. I'm much too weak to just say well eat it or starve!

Actually with Ringo I could. But Lucy's so tiny I worry when she doesn't eat and drink.
I know... I'm the weakest link. The softest of the soft. A big mush when it comes to my boy.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:56 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Of the many maddening things about Willie, I'm happy to say that he is in no regard a picky eater. It's pretty much my one convenience with him.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:54 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Macie could stand to be a little picky....It's great that she's not but we really have to work to keep her weight where it should be 'cause she loves to eat...(not sure where she gets that ....)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs