Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 03:25 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,712,043 times

Advertisements

So I hit the gym today at 9 am. I saw a cute dog locked inside an SUV. He was getting excited in my presence and we shared a moment and I was like, "umm, that's a cool dog I won't mind having for myself"

I chuckled and got back to my car about 2 hours later and guess what I found in the same car

So it had been contained in a car with little air flow inside, barring a small aperture in the passenger's window.

Is this even acceptable practice? Would the dog feel any anger for being contained?

I believe in the freedom of animals, they need to roam free. Wonder if their owners will have any respect for the free movement of these pets apart from keeping them as entertainment slaves
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 04:31 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,334,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
So I hit the gym today at 9 am. I saw a cute dog locked inside an SUV. He was getting excited in my presence and we shared a moment and I was like, "umm, that's a cool dog I won't mind having for myself"

I chuckled and got back to my car about 2 hours later and guess what I found in the same car

So it had been contained in a car with little air flow inside, barring a small aperture in the passenger's window.

Is this even acceptable practice? Would the dog feel any anger for being contained?

I believe in the freedom of animals, they need to roam free. Wonder if their owners will have any respect for the free movement of these pets apart from keeping them as entertainment slaves
I call 911 and wait.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:39 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,448,721 times
At home in New England, if it's not warm out, dogs go all over the place with their owners and sit in the cars to wait for their return. My Corgi's, (when both were alive and now especially when there was just the one boy left), went everywhere with me. A 3 minute ride to the PO, or a two hour trip to Home Depot.

They were perfectly happy to sit in the car and nap waiting for me. If they stayed at home, they had to go into a kennel because of anxiety issues. The best way to avoid the anxiety was to let them come with me/us. I always leave the windows halfway open. Enough so they can't jump out.

Down here in Florida, especially Ft. Lauderdale, there have been a number of deaths of children and animals, so it's against the law. Try telling that to my Corgi!!! He just cries and cries and the newest thing is akin to panic attacks in adults. Since I don't want him to have a heart attack or stroke, it's severely limited what I can and cant' do.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:42 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times
I let Ringo and/or Lucy go with me for a quick trip to the post office or grocery store . . . before it starts getting hot. But never for long shopping sessions.

2 hours seems like a long time, though, to be left in the car.

I'd be worried someone would try to steal them.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:46 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,448,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I let Ringo and/or Lucy go with me for a quick trip to the post office or grocery store . . . before it starts getting hot. But never for long shopping sessions.

2 hours seems like a long time, though, to be left in the car.

I'd be worried someone would try to steal them.
I live in a place that's equivalent to Mayberry RFD. lol

Old 03-07-2010, 04:52 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,431,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
At home in New England, if it's not warm out, dogs go all over the place with their owners and sit in the cars to wait for their return. My Corgi's, (when both were alive and now especially when there was just the one boy left), went everywhere with me. A 3 minute ride to the PO, or a two hour trip to Home Depot.

They were perfectly happy to sit in the car and nap waiting for me. If they stayed at home, they had to go into a kennel because of anxiety issues. The best way to avoid the anxiety was to let them come with me/us. I always leave the windows halfway open. Enough so they can't jump out.

Down here in Florida, especially Ft. Lauderdale, there have been a number of deaths of children and animals, so it's against the law. Try telling that to my Corgi!!! He just cries and cries and the newest thing is akin to panic attacks in adults. Since I don't want him to have a heart attack or stroke, it's severely limited what I can and cant' do.

Same thing here in Alaska; every other car or truck has a dog or dogs in it. What I absolutely hate (and they did pass a law against it) is when I see a pick-up truck with a dog/s in the back and sometimes they are not even leashed to something.

Our little Peke goes just about everywhere with us. Unless it's too cold she doesn't stay in car long at all and wears her sweater. In the summer, regardless of which one of our dogs we have with us, one of us waits in the car since I don't want the windows left open unless we are in it with them.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:56 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,659,872 times
I once found two little children sitting alone in a car at our Shop Rite. Why I didn't report it right away........I don't know. I pulled back in and waited for some parent to come along. The little boy was hugging his little sister ( I'm guessing they were siblings)........Her cheeks were getting slight pink........I was about to go inside the store and tell the manager to page. When out comes the "Mom" or perhaps ( the sitter) ......High heels, and short shorts........right to the trunk. Puts her things in the trunk before even opening the car door. I went by her and just said " I don't believe this."............Those poor children. I often wonder if this was the sitter and their Mom didn't know about this outrageous neglect. They only looked like about 3 1/2 and perhaps 2........
To this day it bothers me that I didn't do something more. Speak up and at least have had her paged immediately.
I feel the same way about dogs if it is "hot" out.......A couple minutes on a cold day doesn't bother me. The heat is bad for children and dogs........and it builds.
Next time I know better to do something right then and there..........I held back and I think I was very wrong. It was at least 8 years ago, and I am still remembering.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:57 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,431,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post

Was it hot there today? Even if it wasn't, 2 hours is way too long for the dog to sit in the car and wait IMO. As far as freedom of animals, any decent, loving pet owner will never let their animals roam free; it is dangerous and they may never return.

I think you will find that everyone on the pet forum has their dogs/cats/whatever because they love them and are responsible owners; anyone who buys an animal for entertainment doesn't need to have an animal.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:00 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,687,874 times
I always take my dog with me, except in the summer, when it's way too hot. But during the winter she goes with me all of the time and waits. HOWEVER, I don't (nor would ever) leave her in the car for two hours; that's excessive. But I agree that most dogs prefer waiting in the car than waiting at home.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:00 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,659,872 times
I watched a man at a gas station let a dog out of the TRUNK of his car in Florida, no less.
He made the stop and let him out for a drink of water.......
It was way too hot to ever put a dog in the trunk.......Geez........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs