Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 09:10 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times

Advertisements

So, you all know my experiences with Artie:
  • He turned six years old this past October.
  • Abused as a puppy.
  • Got rescued by a great girl, but she crated him all day while at work. She had him for about two years.
  • We adopted him from her almost three years ago. No crating whatsoever. Behaved perfectly in regards to that. However... read the rest of the list...
  • Not socialized at all with other people or dogs. He's fine with people in our house, but when he's outside, all people and dogs (except for his friends, the two Lab puppies) are enemies in his mind.
  • He's not food aggressive or toy aggressive, although there is a bit of "I want that toy!" with his friends, but they give it up to him.
  • Major leash puller. Barks and lunges at people on the street.
  • A behaviorist described him as a "classic bully" due to his childhood abuse.
  • Currently in prison (quarantine) until next Monday for biting someone in a "comedy" (not so much) of errors when my friend's door was opened and Artie went out to "greet" someone walking by.
It's hard to imagine this face has so many issues, isn't it?

I've been his "buddy" instead of the pack leader. He knows that I'm the weak link. He's pretty good when my husband takes him for a walk, and he's even better when my neighbor friend takes his leash from me (Artie can tell who's at the other end of it).

I have/read the book "The Other End of the Leash" by Patricia McConnell. I just ordered the book "The Power of Postive Dog Training" by Pat Miller. I have a great guide to dog training from FiveHorses. I bought a Sense-ation harness.

I plan on being Alpha to Artie. I want him to walk well on a loose leash. I want him to listen to my commands. I still want him to be my cuddlebug, but I want him to know that I'm in charge from here on out.

Is six too old to learn new tricks? Is the fact that it's been "THIS way" for almost three years too much time for him to learn that we're going to do it "THAT way" now?

I'm adamant about changing my own behavior with him, but will he "get it"? Will he understand? Will he change too?

I'd appreciate your input...

Thanks,
Dawn

Last edited by DawnMTL; 03-09-2010 at 09:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 09:20 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
So, you all know my experiences with Artie:
  • He turned six years old this past October.
  • Abused as a puppy.
  • Got rescued by a great girl, but she crated him all day while at work. She had him for about two years.
  • We adopted him from her almost three years ago. No crating whatsoever. Behaved perfectly in regards to that. However... read the rest of the list...
  • Not socialized at all with other people or dogs. He's fine with people in our house, but when he's outside, all people and dogs (except for his friends, the two Lab puppies) are enemies in his mind.
  • He's not food aggressive or toy aggressive, although there is a bit of "I want that toy!" with his friends, but they give it up to him.
  • Major leash puller. Barks and lunges at people on the street.
  • A behaviorist described him as a "classic bully" due to his childhood abuse.
  • Currently in prison (quarantine) until next Monday for biting someone in a "comedy" (not so much) of errors when my friend's door was opened and Artie went out to "greet" someone walking by.
I've been his "buddy" instead of the pack leader. He knows that I'm the weak link. He's pretty good when my husband takes him for a walk, and he's even better when my neighbor friend takes his leash from me (Artie can tell who's at the other end of it).

I have/read the book "The Other End of the Leash" by Patricia McConnell. I just ordered the book "The Power of Postive Dog Training" by Pat Miller. I have a great guide to dog training from FiveHorses. I bought a Sense-ation harness.

I plan on being Alpha to Artie. I want him to walk well on a loose leash. I want him to listen to my commands. I still want him to be my cuddlebug, but I want him to know that I'm in charge from here on out.

Is six too old to learn new tricks? Is the fact that it's been "THIS way" for almost three years too much time for him to learn that we're going to do it "THAT way" now?

I'm adamant about changing my own behavior with him, but will he "get it"? Will he understand? Will he change too?

I'd appreciate your input...

Thanks,
Dawn
A retriever trainer that I have had a long association with adopted a labrador about Artie's age because, as he put it, "I just saw somethin' in him." The dog had been placed in rescue because he had never been formally trained, never been adequately exercised and was simply too much dog for his previous owner to handle. He hasn't hunt tested the dog, but he hunts over him when he is guiding. To be the first selection when this guy has paying clients is a pretty huge compliment.

Never too old to learn new tricks.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:23 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,046,738 times
I have a DVD on Positive Training that I would recommend.

"Perfect Paws in 5 Days" by Jean Donaldson. She's a Dog Behaviorist.

The DVD is broken down into lessons for you and Artie to learn together. It teaches you how to train.

I bought the DVD from a Seller on ebay but Jean Donaldson has a website and you can order it directly from her, too.

www.jeandonaldson.com

Old 03-09-2010, 09:25 AM

Jimbo: Thank God! Oh, wait, you're not saying that I'm not too old. I'll just assume you meant that for me as well as for Artie.

World Citizen: I'm gonna look for that right now.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Jimbo: Thank God! Oh, wait, you're not saying that I'm not too old. I'll just assume you meant that for me as well as for Artie.

World Citizen: I'm gonna look for that right now.
I edited my post and included Jean Donaldson's website.

Have fun!!!

Old 03-09-2010, 09:32 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,578 times
I don't think it's ever too late to learn new tricks. I think a lot might have to do with you changing your ways and keeping consistent. If only I could follow my own words...
Hope Artie is doing well in prison!

Old 03-09-2010, 09:37 AM

World Citizen: Thanks! I couldn't find it on eBay and the lone Amazon seller was priced rather high. I'm going to order it direct from the website. I'm hoping that Artie and I will have great fun doing this.

flkingfan: Thank you for the vote of confidence. Yup, I think you're right, that a lot of it will be on me. I hope you're right that he's not too "stuck in his ways" -- he really is quite the creature of habit. The prison guards (HA!) have told me that he's doing great... he's even eating well, according to them. Geez, he might actually be LIKING it there.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:43 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,578 times
Quote:
Geez, he might actually be LIKING it there.
I highly doubt that. He has it too good at home.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flkingfan View Post
I highly doubt that. He has it too good at home.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
World Citizen: Thanks! I couldn't find it on eBay and the lone Amazon seller was priced rather high. I'm going to order it direct from the website. I'm hoping that Artie and I will have great fun doing this.
It's a good DVD. Buying from her, it's half price!

I noticed that there is a free video on her website about leash pulling, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs