Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 09:36 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,942,795 times

Advertisements

I have a boxer male, and have had him for about 9 months he was a rescue and is only 1yr old. he should be playful and happy jumping around and he used to be -now he is sulky and moody and mopes around looking sad all day everyday. the only thing that cheers him up is going to the dog park, but he cant go back there for awhile he got into a fight with another male dog. walks are ok but he seems bored. i dont know what to do for him, he is healthy he eats fine, he even has the neighbor dog here all the time but he doesnt seem to care. what to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 01:30 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,583,573 times
Depression could stem from a few things...first, I'd probably take him for a check-up just to make sure he's okay medically...I probably sound like a broken record here to some of you (lol) but I really believe in getting bloodwork done regularly...the blood tells us everything we need to know, and can catch disease while it's still in the incubation stage, (unlike SNAP tests), making it that much easier to treat potential issues before they set in completely.

Once this is ruled out, if all checks out well, you'll know for sure that it's something behavioral...stress, separation anxiety, boredom, not enough exercise...all these things can make a dog depressed.

You mentioned he had a fight with another male dog at the dog park...is he neutered? Did he instigate the fight, or was he just defending himself against this other dog? Does he usually get along well with other dogs when he meets them? (Just trying to determine if getting a 2nd dog would be something to consider...but if he's dog-aggressive it's definitely not a good idea!)

I know this response is a bit vague, but there are quite a few different things to consider in trying to figure out the source of his depression...I think we need to know more about the lifestyle you share to narrow things down from here.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:27 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,515,133 times
IF he doesn't have any medical issues going on; I would try to take him for long walks for a while. Dogs love to walk different places and smell different smells; maybe that would perk him up a bit.

My Westie gets depressed if he does not get his regular walks in. And no amount of toys, or playing, or petting, can do the trick.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:13 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,920,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
Depression could stem from a few things...first, I'd probably take him for a check-up just to make sure he's okay medically...I probably sound like a broken record here to some of you (lol) but I really believe in getting bloodwork done regularly...the blood tells us everything we need to know, and can catch disease while it's still in the incubation stage, (unlike SNAP tests), making it that much easier to treat potential issues before they set in completely.

Once this is ruled out, if all checks out well, you'll know for sure that it's something behavioral...stress, separation anxiety, boredom, not enough exercise...all these things can make a dog depressed.

You mentioned he had a fight with another male dog at the dog park...is he neutered? Did he instigate the fight, or was he just defending himself against this other dog? Does he usually get along well with other dogs when he meets them? (Just trying to determine if getting a 2nd dog would be something to consider...but if he's dog-aggressive it's definitely not a good idea!)

I know this response is a bit vague, but there are quite a few different things to consider in trying to figure out the source of his depression...I think we need to know more about the lifestyle you share to narrow things down from here.

+1 with the medical check-up. There are a number of medical conditions that result in doggie depression.

Aside from that maybe he needs a rountine where he knows to expect something special every day, at a certain time of day. like a walk, or car ride? Have you tried making a game out of the walks or using it as training time with food reward?

He may just need a little mental stimulation. What about those dog toys/puzzles where they have to figure out how to get the treats out? If he is food motivated this will likely help occupy him for awhile and he'll forget he was depressed while he is focused on getting the treats out of the toy.

Even when my lab is not feeling good and appears depressed the jingle of the car keys always gets his ears up and tail wagging the kong stuffed with treats works too.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:47 AM

219 posts, read 877,713 times
First check medical. Then exercise, physically and mentally. I don't think people realize how important not only physical but mental stimulation is for a dog, especially a larger one like a boxer that can get into trouble when they haven't expelled all their energy on a DAILY basis. I know I wasnt aware of this. I have a very high energy, high prey drive rhodesian ridgeback/pitbull mix. We run at least 5 days a week and do training for at least 30 minutes daily. If we don't do this, she's a nightmare of jittery excitement. She gets all her meals (2x daily) in some form of food dispensing device that she has to work for--follow the principles of Nothing in Life is Free. Using positive motivation techniques (clicker training) is very helpful in training, which leads to a trust building, postive relationship with you and a happy, satisfied dog.

I'll bet your dog would love something like a flirt pole. Google it, but you can make one with a 4 ft long PVC pipe, a rope, and a stuffed animal or hide tied to the end of the rope. Go out to an enclosed area and basically play keep away (let her get it now and then to keep her interested).

For the food dispensing, there are many toys on the market that offer this, but if money is an issue, you can make your own out of a water bottle. Cut a little hole on one side and fill with kibble. Let her learn to roll it around to get the food out. I don't even have a dog dish anymore , just a water bowl.

Good luck! Stay away from the dog parks. Meet some local dogs that you'll see regularly and know your dog gets along with. Change things up, keep things interesting, rotate her toys, rotate your walking routes, rotate your food dispensing and training.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:02 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,023,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
IF he doesn't have any medical issues going on; I would try to take him for long walks for a while. Dogs love to walk different places and smell different smells; maybe that would perk him up a bit.

My Westie gets depressed if he does not get his regular walks in. And no amount of toys, or playing, or petting, can do the trick.
bailey does too .... this last 2 weeks keeping her quiet so her leg would heal have been tough on BOTH of us......

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaFlorida View Post
First check medical. Then exercise, physically and mentally. I don't think people realize how important not only physical but mental stimulation is for a dog, especially a larger one like a boxer that can get into trouble when they haven't expelled all their energy on a DAILY basis. I know I wasnt aware of this. I have a very high energy, high prey drive rhodesian ridgeback/pitbull mix. We run at least 5 days a week and do training for at least 30 minutes daily. If we don't do this, she's a nightmare of jittery excitement. She gets all her meals (2x daily) in some form of food dispensing device that she has to work for--follow the principles of Nothing in Life is Free. Using positive motivation techniques (clicker training) is very helpful in training, which leads to a trust building, postive relationship with you and a happy, satisfied dog.

I'll bet your dog would love something like a flirt pole. Google it, but you can make one with a 4 ft long PVC pipe, a rope, and a stuffed animal or hide tied to the end of the rope. Go out to an enclosed area and basically play keep away (let her get it now and then to keep her interested).

For the food dispensing, there are many toys on the market that offer this, but if money is an issue, you can make your own out of a water bottle. Cut a little hole on one side and fill with kibble. Let her learn to roll it around to get the food out. I don't even have a dog dish anymore , just a water bowl.

Good luck! Stay away from the dog parks. Meet some local dogs that you'll see regularly and know your dog gets along with. Change things up, keep things interesting, rotate her toys, rotate your walking routes, rotate your food dispensing and training.
i second this about the food / treat dispensing toys.... i have 3 of them .... 2 are round and dimpled like a golf ball .... the 3rd is a blue plastic cube.... i only fill and put down 2 at a time in the mornings RIGHT before i leave for work ..... bailey and dave get about half of their daily kibble from these toys and they have to work for it and figure out how to get the kibble out.... keeps their minds busy and active for extended periods of time..... i also put in some treats.... not a lot.... just enough to keep the game REALLY interesting for them.....

Old 04-15-2010, 05:14 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,942,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post

he is not yet neutered but he didnt start the fight, he was defending himself, he was on the leash and the other dog wouldnt go away,the dog was challenging him and snarling at him but mine was not backing down either. we dont let him off the leash until he has met everyone there and we are sure he will be ok. he does get along well with other dogs loves to play and run and sniff butt. but i have noticed that there have been a couple that he just dont like, i dont know why.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:36 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,686,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
he is not yet neutered but he didnt start the fight, he was defending himself, he was on the leash and the other dog wouldnt go away,the dog was challenging him and snarling at him but mine was not backing down either. we dont let him off the leash until he has met everyone there and we are sure he will be ok. he does get along well with other dogs loves to play and run and sniff butt. but i have noticed that there have been a couple that he just dont like, i dont know why.
+2 medical checkup first.
It sounds as if he is sad, not depressed (I don't think this is chemical but, rather, emotional). I think that he is lonely for the company of other dogs and misses going to the dog park. Puppydom is also the key time to socialize. I say, find another dog park. You can also try getting another dog, or even a cat or a bird for companionship.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:41 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,583,573 times
Quote:
Okay...here's one of the problems as I see it...your dog is not neutered, and other males can smell his high levels of testosterone, which makes him a target. Here's a good link that explains the pros & cons of dog parks and things to look out for...
ASPCA - Virtual Pet Behaviorist

I definitely suggest getting him neutered if you plan to continue taking him to dog parks, and/or if you are thinking about getting a second dog, whether male or female (though the male/female combo. is usually the best IMO). Aside from the fact that he'll be calmer, he'll also have less unwanted behavior (humping/marking).

The suggestion for toys with treats (like the Kong toy) I agree with 100%...keep him busy and keep him well-exercised...a tired dog is a happy dog, as the saying goes!

Good luck with everything, and let us know how it's going!

Old 04-16-2010, 04:42 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,023,541 times
Quote:
dogs on leashes surrounded by other dogs NOT on leashes feel WAY vulnerable and are WAY more likely to react aggressively...... your dog should be off his leash BEFORE he gets into the play area at the dog park...... dogs can get nervous and excited when meeting other dogs and since they don't have the "flight" option when they are on a leash, in their minds, that leaves only the "fight" option...... and the other, off-leash dogs pick up on the leashed dog's sense of vulnerability and nervousness..... which only escalates tension.....

like people, some dogs just don't hit it off for reasons that we will never understand...... off his leash, he has the option of removing himself from proximity to the dog(s) that he is not comfortable around.......

neutering is also a GREAT idea for a world of reasons.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs