Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 07:20 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times

Advertisements

personally, i wouldn't name two pets the same thing. it just weirds me out and would be confusing. i don't even like the idea of naming my dog a name that other people's dogs will have, although sadie came with her name which is semi common and it's ok. i gave some thought to changing it but it suits her and she knows it well so i didn't.

i also don't like the idea of naming a child after a parent! i like keeping names in the family but skipping a few generations!

but it's up to you - many people don't have a problem with it and consider it a tribute to the previous pet. it's all about how you feel about it. if it doesn't feel right to you, don't do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 07:47 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
also, copper makes me think of this:

YouTube - Shellac Fan Music Video - Copper

Old 03-20-2010, 09:35 AM

745 posts, read 1,505,124 times
Thanks everyone. The kids came up with Copper from the Disney movie, so that is what we're using. I decided the name Buddy is forever reserved and will never be used again by us.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:45 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
I think everyone is different so I am not saying everyone else should observe things the way I do however once an animal has had a name, I could not use it again because I would cry every time I called the new animal. YES I am that attached to my pets and that devastated when one of them passes away.

I have gotten pets that were for example the same breed or with cats the same color.

I have often also found that I give a pet a name and that's what I tell the Vet and people who ask but over time its like they pass along to me the name they want to be called by, either that or I am totally out of my mind and think my pets are communicating with me subliminally when they are not.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:46 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
Thanks everyone. The kids came up with Copper from the Disney movie, so that is what we're using. I decided the name Buddy is forever reserved and will never be used again by us.
Excellent decision! Enjoy your new family member!

Old 03-20-2010, 02:27 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,557,967 times
Congrats on the new pup! Copper is a cute name.

I didn't name either one of my dogs. Rosie was adopted from the shelter where I used to volunteer. Her owners gave her up after nine years, and that was her name. Luckily I love it!

Beatrice (beagle) also came with her name. I adopted her from the beagle rescue I volunteer with. She had been a stray for a long time but the person who found her and kept her until we had a foster home named her. I happened to be wanting an old girl named Beatrice for awhile and then when I found my parents were going to be fostering her I figured that was my chance. LOL

Old 03-20-2010, 02:42 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
There is a cute clip of a baby beagle baying on YouTube, and the pup in the video's name is Copper. I play it a lot, because Willie, my beagle mix, likes it!

Old 03-20-2010, 06:19 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,406,915 times
I love the name Copper, so glad you went with that! I, too, tried to find an "uncommon" name for my male Westie, but it turns out there are a few other "Caseys" at the dog park. I picked "Comet" for my female puppy, and so far no dupes...good luck with your new pup!

Old 03-20-2010, 07:18 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,696,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Our beagle mix is Willie, but he came close to being Sam. He had been Noah at the refuge, but I wasn't feeling it. If he's particularly hound-y, I would go with Copper (love that movie!). Nothing wrong with Cooper, but among our acquaintances, it's the "Jacob" (currently #1 human boy name for 2010, acc. to the SSA) of dog names right now. My brother has a Cooper, my SO's brother has a Cooper, two people I work with have Coopers, etc.
LMAO!! Is there an actual list/website of "most popular dog names"? If not, there should be!

Old 03-20-2010, 07:56 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,604,074 times
I think Copper is a great name, and relatively uncommon. Congrats! Also you can always nick name, that'll probably happen over time anyway...my dog has a million nick names, his formal name is Charlie, we call him Charlers, Charles in Charge, Charlie Larlers, Mr Pups, Pupper pups a lot, Puppers, Smelly, Bubba, Bubs, Bubaloo, Bubalooski...somehow he answers to them all!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs