Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2010, 04:50 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times

Advertisements

No, you crazy people, not like the stuff that comes up through your intake orifice but the diet given to dogs (and cats) called BARF (Bones and Raw Food).

I have had a tremendous problem with our 7 month old Lab/Rottie eating the poop of our older Blue Heeler. It's been a problem ever since we got her and I've tried everything I can possibly think of. We've tried feeding them both pumpkin and that didn't work. We tried the stuff at Petco which is supposed to make it taste worse and that didn't work. I've worked tirelessly at training her to stop by rewarding the good and ignoring and/or admonishing the bad. I've tried separate dog training classes and even following the Blue Heeler around with the pooper scooper so our mix can't get to it. Nothing works.

Today, I spoke with a guy who I happened across that runs a dog training facility in Canada. He seemed very knowledgeable and right away pointed out that she must not be getting something in her diet that she needs but is in our blue heeler's poop. I agreed with him that it could be a possibility but also pointed out that they both receive the same food. He told me to try going to a BARF diet and explained all of the positives to it.

Before I jump in and do this, I just have a few questions. Are there any drawbacks to switching to a BARF diet (slowly, of course)? Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with a BARF diet? And, finally, where do I find this stuff or do I make my own recipes? The local pet stores don't seem to carry anything that's "BARF Approved" and I don't have many specialty pet stores around here that might carry such a thing.

Questions? Comments? Answers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 02:29 AM

205 posts, read 726,398 times
There are a couple threads about feeding raw diet - which is the BARF diet.
I'd love to put my two large breeds on a raw diet... any Raw Diet Suggestions?
More raw ?s

The first one is quite long with a lot of questions and answers.
I feed my dogs Raw bones and meat, they enjoy it very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs