Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 07:51 PM

446 posts, read 831,206 times

Advertisements

My Aussie ate at least 8-9 oz of yogurt covered raisins and I freaked out...called the vet and he was SO hateful to me. This man has always been so kind to us and our animals....He said, "you were careless, you shouldn't have left them where she could get into them"...said this BEFORE he told me what to do .

We had to get a syringe and hydrogen peroxide and put 15cc down her throat ASAP so she would throw up. Throw up she did...omg...I have never been so afraid in my life and add the guilt on top of it.

My fiance talked to him after she finished vomiting and said just to limit her water to sips at a time and that's that.....

I called a number I found on the web for Tufts school of vet. medicine and talked to a vet who told me that even though she vomited what looked like all of it that she should still be in the vet hospital getting fluids and being observed. Our vet hasn't even called back.

I'm scared out of my mind. When I'm calm I think she's ok, because we kept her in the garage so I could see her vomit and know what the contents were of that vomit. I wanted to SEE those raisins......it looks like all of it, but who knows....

This man took care of my dog who had a torn ACL and cared for her so sweetly. He put my beloved dalmation to sleep for me 3 weeks after I had some very horrible surgery...he's put 2 of our cats to sleep for us when there was nothing else he could do. He did all this gently and kindly and now he blames me for leaving the yogurt raisins out. Like I did it on purpose and like I wasn't feeling guilty and scared enough without that comment on how "careless" I was.

I can't stop crying and I can't take my eyes off my dog. This dog literally owns my heart. She's a beautiful black and white Aussie (in my profile pic) and even in the middle of her vomiting while I was crying she STILL stopped and rubbed on me to reassure me because that's what she does. If I hurt my dog in any way I don't know how I could live with it....omg....

I keep thinking he's gonna call back to check on her again but he hasn't. Raisins can be VERY toxic to dogs and cause renal failure with as few as 3 raisins. This dog ate like 8 or 9 oz............

I just wanted to vent and to warn people...keep raisins and grapes away from dogs!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 07:57 PM

399 posts, read 2,253,536 times
Awww, I'm sorry I know they can be very toxic to dogs, but you did the right thing getting the dog to vomit them up.
Hope everything goes well!

Old 05-11-2010, 08:29 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,644,872 times
Don't be so hard on yourself! Things happen and they have to all us of us. Do you have an emergency vet open near you? Maybe you could take her there if it would make you feel better. Otherwise, you are doing the best you can.

I have a 20 year old dog. When he was smaller, he loved grapes. We never knew they were so bad for him. But for some reason they never gave him a problem. We were so lucky!!!!!

I hate when our vets are horrible to us at the worse times. My ex and I had an old girl that found a box of chocolates under the Christmas tree one year. We had no clue they were chocolates. She ate three layers and half the box. We were out and when we got home she had been so sick. We rushed her to the ER vet and that little snip was so mean. Lecturing us. I finally lost it, got in her face and told her that I didn't give a flying you know what what her opinion of us was, just take care of the dog. And if she didn't want to, we could call the owners. Shocked my ex and me but she shut up and took care of her. I reported her to our regular vet and she said they had been getting some complaints. She was gone not long after. And Pepper lived another 5 years to the ripe old age of 18!

It's so important to have compassion. I am hoping and praying for the best for you and your girl. Please let us know how she is doing.

God bless.

Last edited by Catrick; 05-11-2010 at 08:38 PM..

Old 05-11-2010, 08:32 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
i can only imagine how terrifying this must be for you..... but i am sure she will be fine.... our pups are quite often tougher than we give them credit for.... her vomiting everything up will surely keep her safe.......

what a shame your vet reacted like that..... seems to me that compassion would be a basic tenet of being a vet.......

please keep us posted on how she does over the next couple of days.......

Old 05-11-2010, 08:57 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,373,074 times
Sandy don't worry yourself over this, all dogs/pets get into things they shouldn't and give us heart failures. It's just what they do (and they do it so well!).
Your quick actions show you are a caring and good family to your dog so please don't be down on yourself.

As to your vet you did mention he was great in the past and this is not his normal behavior. Possibly the vet was having a bad day/situation which caused him to react like he did. This does not excuse him but rather it might explain his un-characteristic reaction.
If he has been a good vet to you in the past I would say give him an opportunity to fix this. Call him and update him that you followed his directions and that your dog is doing better.
You can then determine if his behavior during the crisis was simply him being rude or something else. He may not realize how rude he was.
For myself I would hate to lose a good vet so I would make the attempt to understand the situation.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:58 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,526,217 times
Catch vet on a bad day? Seems should showed more concern than the sarcasm towards you as seems like had a mutual respect for each other before this.

Dog should be ok and watch water so does not bloat after the vomiting. Still get checked out and if normal vet makes feel uncomfortable try another. They are our kids we would not knowingly do something to hurt them but cannot watch them 24/7 either.

Now just keep loving that pup, keep her hydrated in small spurts for a day make sure everything else works properly when goes out and remember not your fault or the dogs at times it happens but at least you were on top of it and got to it immediately.

If go to vet keep us updated and update us also if vet you called gets of their high horse and apologizes.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:23 PM

446 posts, read 831,206 times
Thanks so much for the support. I do love this dog so much....I love all my animals like my kids almost, but this one and I have a special connection. Don't know how to explain it, but she really does own my heart....she knows every one of my moods, loves on me when I cry, and knows when I don't feel well. I've got a lot of health problems and she knows when I'm having a bad day. She'll spend all day on the couch with her head on my leg just watching me if she feels she needs to to make sure I'm ok.

I was gone this past weekend for 3 days for my son's college graduation and my fiance told me she laid by the front door the entire time except at dinner and potty breaks. Makes me sad she's so miserable without me, but I missed her just as much!

I wonder if she should eat at all and if so when? I wasn't going to feed her at all tonight, and I've picked up the water and have only given her about 1/2 cup total and that's all she's getting for the night unless she really seems to 'ask' for more. Sips....just sips.

My poor other dog seems miffed. How dare I pick up ALL the food and ALL the water and how DARE I watch her while SHE drinks so I can make sure my Aussie doesn't get into the bowl too!?!

Yeah, my fur babies have a good home and have it almost as good, well, maybe better, than my teenagers! LOL They just don't care for the electronics as much....but we have enough dog toys to fill an entire doggy shelter!

I'm feeling better and she really seems fine. I'm a nurse but as far as dogs go, well, they're a bit outta my league, but you should have seen me draw up that hydrogen peroxide in the syringe and I didn't hesitate to stick it as far down her throat and push that plunger into her throat! Strange what we can do in times of stress/emergency.

Fingers are optimistically crossed!

Thanks for the help! It means a lot!

Old 05-11-2010, 10:29 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Keeping paws crossed for your Aussie. I had to do the peroxide tx. to my lab on more than one occasion for stealing packaged venison out of the kitchen sink when it was thawing. He'd heat it plastic and all.

Understand completely the sheer fright for the life of your beloved dog. Good luck. Remember it is always good to have the phone # of the nearest 24 emergency vet. clinic.

Agree with Jerseykat about the vet. Though, if my vet did something like that I would hesitate as trust has been damaged during a time of need, IMO. At least he did tell you the correct thing to do for the dog.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:43 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,450,251 times
Sandy? How is your pup? We need an update on how it all went today!!!

Old 05-11-2010, 11:28 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,225 times
I can't believe what a jerk your vet was to you in your time of need...that's inexcusable! I have worked as a vet tech, and we got A LOT of dogs that had eaten things they aren't supposed to eat, it's a very common thing and he should have reassured you instead of making you more anxious! The good thing is that you got that hydrogen peroxide working so fast, so I'm sure your baby will be just fine. If it were a small breed, there would be much more reason to be concerned and have fluids going to flush things out. If the raisins were still whole coming up, I don't think there was enough time for the toxicity to get absorbed by the body. Don't beat yourself up...like kids, dogs can get into things in the blink of an eye. You are a good parent to have acted so swiftly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs