Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2014, 06:20 PM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times

Advertisements

Anyone know of any good camping spots within 5 miles of Finland? When I say camping sites, I mean public land or land owned by the mining companies that they don't care about, not state parks or designated campsites. We've been camping at Glen Avon in Beaver Bay for the last few years and making our way to the Green Door and Silver Bay bar next to the bowling alley for fun during the evenings. Just wanted to see if there's other Glen Avons farther north where bars are within a few miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 07:35 AM

2,105 posts, read 4,602,051 times
Dont know if its within your area or not but there are many great campsites in the Superior National Forest, several of which there is no charge and are located on the edge of the BWCAW.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:35 AM

534 posts, read 1,170,928 times
Personally, I would not frequent any of the bars in Finland unless you're a local. And even then, I'd think twice about it.

A couple of them serve food and get passers-by throughout the day, but they can get a bit rowdy at night. The Lake County deputies I've worked with spend more than an average amount of time running up there from Silver Bay for bar fights and drunk & disorderly complaints, and even write quite a few "local" DUI's (people so drunk they can't make it from the bar to the house, 3 miles away - not that they should even be trying, of course).

One meth user I've dealt with actually used to get the drug at one of the local bars.

As Demtion said, there are many places to camp in the Superior National Forest. Also in the Finland State Forest. I'd bring a cooler and have your beverages around the fire, instead.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:17 PM

Thanks for the info, I'll look into it! We love Glen Avon Falls campsite because it's secluded from tourists, can park truck next to camp, your left alone, and chainsaws are used for firewood. We bring bikes to ride to the local bars when sporting events are on in the evenings and mingle with the locals. I asked about Finland because a local told us to eat breakfast at the restaurant/bar on the corner and how you can rent the cabin next to Illgen Falls which seems to be within manageable after bar biking distance (5 miles max) Kinda nice to look at camping in a new area. I'm sure we'll end up back at Glen Avon next summer, this time we're gonna drop bikes off at Green Door and float the Beaver River down to it in tubes (skipping the rapids before hwy 61)

Old 10-30-2014, 11:48 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,696,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Thanks for the info, I'll look into it! We love Glen Avon Falls campsite because it's secluded from tourists, can park truck next to camp, your left alone, and chainsaws are used for firewood. We bring bikes to ride to the local bars when sporting events are on in the evenings and mingle with the locals. I asked about Finland because a local told us to eat breakfast at the restaurant/bar on the corner and how you can rent the cabin next to Illgen Falls which seems to be within manageable after bar biking distance (5 miles max) Kinda nice to look at camping in a new area. I'm sure we'll end up back at Glen Avon next summer, this time we're gonna drop bikes off at Green Door and float the Beaver River down to it in tubes (skipping the rapids before hwy 61)
I hope you're not chainsawing live trees for firewood. The rest sounds like good fun, especially the tubes, drinks, biking adventure. I love to string together different modes of moving myself in the back country.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:53 AM

772 posts, read 914,057 times
Quote:

When you say bikes, do you mean, peddle bikes, motorcycles, dirt bikes, or any ATV / Quad ? Just curious what you mean by that. Thanks ! I usually ATV around myself from the ATV trails to a campground on the ATV trail that has a bar @ the campground. I could dig up the name if your interested.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 191185 View Post
When you say bikes, do you mean, peddle bikes, motorcycles, dirt bikes, or any ATV / Quad ? Just curious what you mean by that. Thanks ! I usually ATV around myself from the ATV trails to a campground on the ATV trail that has a bar @ the campground. I could dig up the name if your interested.
Sorry it took me 5 months to respond! Peddle bicycles. Just beginning to plan a July trip. Anyone know of a secluded lake not in the Boundary Waters that we could park next to and paddle raft or canoe and camp on an island? I see 9 mile Lake has two islands, but looks like there's cabins around it and I don't know the do's and don't about camping on random islands. Assuming since it's an island it not privately owned, but I could be wrong? Camping is fun, but heading to a bar one night to watch Twins play, etc...near by makes trip more fun.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:25 AM

2,105 posts, read 4,602,051 times
Quote:
Sorry it took me 5 months to respond! Peddle bicycles. Just beginning to plan a July trip. Anyone know of a secluded lake not in the Boundary Waters that we could park next to and paddle raft or canoe and camp on an island? I see 9 mile Lake has two islands, but looks like there's cabins around it and I don't know the do's and don't about camping on random islands. Assuming since it's an island it not privately owned, but I could be wrong? Camping is fun, but heading to a bar one night to watch Twins play, etc...near by makes trip more fun.
Most places you cannot just go out and set up a camp. Only in for example, the SNF only in desinagted campsites. There are many "circle routes" in the SNF just for canoe camping that will be plenty remote for you but around there you cannot just go out and set up a camp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth