Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2010, 07:46 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Good thing your opinion isnt fact
When you make a statement like "preowned vehicles are terrible deals," it serves to undermine the validity of other things you say.
Quote:
Even a person putting on 12k a year would have to keep their car in meticulous condition for it to last 15 years, especially a 4 cylinder
Sure, let maintenance intervals slip, abuse it, and you can shorten the lifespan. Take proper care and 150,000+ miles is not some sort of miracle.
Quote:
Motorcycles
Then you should stay far far away!
Quote:
Not to mention, driving a motorcycle in 100 degree temps, or in the rain or snow must me a tremendous experience.
I live in north Texas and have ridden every day this summer. I ride in armored jacket, leather gloves, motorcycle boots, shin and knee armor, and full face helmet. I LOVE riding in 100 degree temps. Granted the humidity here is low. Feels great to me. The gear actually keeps me cooler than if the sun were falling on my skin. Rain generally doesn't bother me much. I'll go out riding if it's just a light to moderate steady fall. Sometimes I'll put on my rain overgear. Downpours are made easier with rain gear. I've certainly ridden in some interesting weather over the years! On the 1-2 snow days we get per year, if there's a need to go out, I would just take the car or telecommute.
Quote:
Sounds like more crap to me.
You would certainly know.
Quote:
Wow, the average residential electric bill for a Virginian is $112 a year, pair that with the huge tipping fees, water, gas, 50 year old windows, and a 25 year old heating unit, 15 different taxes.......that ads up about right.
Okay. Sucks, but okay.
Quote:
...labor value...
Lol, so much fail here.
Quote:
I feel probably 80 percent of the country should be paid more then they are
I see.
Quote:
So, where did your wage come from...agreed upon to work for?
"Agreed upon to work for" and "arbitrarily assigned -- these two concepts are one and the same to you?

Last edited by Nepenthe; 07-23-2010 at 09:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 08:38 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,312,487 times
Quote:
I have about triple the amount who have given me rep points for my comments. So, there you go.

Way to combine two completely different statements, now, lets straighten this comment out.

1. That was the FIRST car I came across, I can literally find hundreds and thousands of used cars that are overpriced. I suppose I should post them all huh? Would that shut you up?

2. Not once did I say used cars were unsafe. I said MOTORCYCLES were unsafe, when Mr. Sportbike keeps recommending them as good transporation. Statistics back me up on that one though.

1. A CPA is no guarantee of getting out of any rut.
2. Having a CPA without any supervisory experience is idiotic and a terrible investment. Nobody is going to put you in a supervisory position, or a CFO position simply by the merit of you having a CPA. People are requiring CPAs for staff accountant jobs paying 35k these days. Hell according to this article How to Become a Cpa the average CPA in a Mom and Pop firm makes 36k. Thats LESS than I make now, and I dont have to pay a few thousand a year to maintain a license.
In my short experience, it has been those who take chances that get ahead. Now, I believe you're well aware of my positions on the globalisation of our economy and income disparity in this country. Even having these views, I believe there is some opportunity out there. I know it's probably tough in your area with all the college grads flocking there. It's similar here in Colorado. You have two ways of dealing with it. You can do what you're doing now, and spend (waste) time on this forum providing examples or arguments for something that most of us already know, and that's how effed up this country is. Or you can use this dissatisfaction/anger as motivation towards something positive, like getting ahead.

Maybe instead of pointing out all the possible downfalls of getting a CPA, it might be worth shooting for it (if that's the direction you want to go). I often ponder the next steps I need to take to get ahead in my life. Sometimes I think I want to go back to college for an MS in Computer Engineering. I have a habit of listing off all the bad things that could possibly happen. I'll lose money on my investment. I'll be in more debt. I won't be able to find a job in the field. I can go on and on and on until I justify to myself why going back to school is a bad idea. But if I never do it, I'll never know where it could land me.

Two years ago, after I graduated from university, I had to figure out what I was going to do. Here I was, 22, having more student loan debt than the average grad, and absolutely no jobs lined up. You can imagine how down in the dumps I was. Sure, I could have put on a display of grief for my family and friends, and that would have garned some temporary comfort after they would tell me everything would be alright. But I realized that it would not pay the bills. I came to the conclusion that I needed to take some action. So, after doing some research, I packed my car full of clothes and I moved 1200 miles away to Denver. I had no job, no apartment, no friends, or no family here, but I had hope that there would be opportunity. I lived in a Motel 6 using a credit card for all of my expenses. Within a couple of weeks of pounding the pavement, applying for jobs like mad, and working some temp gigs, I landed something full-time w/benefits. Shortly after, I leased my first studio apartment right downtown. Since then, I've seen my salary go up by $10k, not because I sat around hoping that it would, but because I chased opportunities as they presented themselves. Now, most people I tell that story to look at me in astonishment. They'd tell me, "Wow, I could never do that." And I think to myself, "Why not?" As difficult/scary/unnerving as it was, it was never much worse than taking a final exam in college.

Here's my advice to you. First, figure out what you want to do and what you need to do to get there. Second, do all the steps necessary to get what you want. Third, don't be afraid to take chances; if all else fails, it sounds like you have a loving family that will help you get back on your feet. Use that to your advantage. Fourth, take a vacation from this forum for at least a month. As much as you may be enjoying those rep points, the consonance only perpetuates your negative mindset, thus preventing you from focusing on the goals that you need to be focusing on.

Good luck!

Old 07-23-2010, 08:55 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Quote:
I said MOTORCYCLES were unsafe, when Mr. Sportbike keeps recommending them as good transporation.
Two wheels make a LOT of sense for personal transportation. Most of the world knows this. But overall you won't necessarily save money by buying a net new bike and keeping a car around too, if strictly saving money is the only goal. The subjective benefits are high, however. I love my car but I love riding more. And it is very economical in and of itself (64 MPG, $6/m insurance, $4 oil changes).

The Ninja 250 may be called a "ninja" and have a fairing, but most riders don't really consider it a sportbike.

Wearing full armored gear at all times, practicing religiously, riding defensively and intelligently, developing skills to anticipate and tactically avoid trouble, never riding while intoxicated, participating in basic, intermediate, and advanced professional training, keeping the tires, brakes, suspension, and engine in tip top shape, choosing a competent, well-matched bike, not riding above one's head or haphazardly, not riding with squids, and avoiding the more strenuous motoring circumstances all contribute to drastically reduce the chances and severity of incident/injury.

I'm very well acquainted with a vast array of motorcycling statistics. These are things I've discussed thousands of times on newsgroups, lists, and forums since the mid 90s. While we're talking outliers, you also have people like my father who in 54 years of riding, around 380,000 miles, has never had a motorcycle accident. He practices all of the above wisdom.
Quote:
go ahead and explain to me how my parents subsidizing me to a certain level is any different from the wealthy subsidizing the poor to the same level.
One difference is that presumably your parents are helping you voluntarily. Presumably you don't have the coercive power to throw them in jail if they don't. You and a group of like-minded voters can't vote for someone who promises to increase the benefits your parents are obligated to provide.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:10 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
When you make a statement like "preowned vehicles are terrible deals," it serves to undermine the validity of other things you say.
No it doesnt, because I have just as much evidence backing my assertion up as you can come up with yours. We are both basing our opinions off of samples of the group. I believe used cars are largely overpriced and rip offs, with the occassional deal tossed in, you believe the opposite.

Quote:
Sure, let maintenance intervals slip, abuse it, and you can shorten the lifespan. Take proper care and 150,000+ miles is not some sort of miracle.
Its not a miracle, but there is a reason why even the best warranties end at 100k.

Quote:
Then you should stay far far away!
Anyone who values safety should refrain from using a motorcycle as a primary mode of transportation.

Quote:
I live in north Texas and have ridden every day this summer. I ride in armored jacket, leather gloves, motorcycle boots, shin and knee armor, and full face helmet. I LOVE riding in 100 degree temps. Granted the humidity here is low. Feels great to me. The gear actually keeps me cooler than if the sun were falling on my skin. Rain generally doesn't bother me much. I'll go out riding if it's just a light to moderate steady fall......
So, everyone lives in the relatively dry and non-humid North Texas climate......oh wait, they dont.

Quote:
I would just take the car or telecommute.
Wow, so your job also allows for telecommuting. Convenient.

Quote:
Agreed upon to work for" and "arbitrarily assigned -- these two concepts are one and the same to you?

From dictionary.com

Arbitrary-

subject to individual will or judgment without restriction; contingent solely upon one's discretion: an arbitrary decision.

The wage that you agree to work for is completely arbitrary. It is based completely on the companies discretion. They assign some wage to you, and you can take it or leave it, period. Occassionally, they will allow for negotiating room if they believe you have exceptional value in the market. Most people do not. They are racing to the bottom of the wage pool.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
In my short experience, it has been those who take chances that get ahead......

Good luck!

I have to say, even though I do not believe that its possible for everyone to do what you did, nor is it really advisable, I do appreciate the fact that you keep things consistantly positive.

Whenever I post my personal stories as empirical evidence of my beliefs, people who have counter beliefs usually do nothing but attack, but I havent seen you go to that well. I do appreciate that.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:18 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
any evidence to back that up? most people own a laptop, flat panel TV etc. and im sure they are happy they were able to buy it for cheap.
As their pay sucks,the price would have to be cheap.

It is interesting how many are actually going to argue that being paid $37,000 a year for a position that demands a college degree is 'good money'.

Perhaps Americans are just fooling themselves because the alternative is uncomfortable to look at...

Old 07-23-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Two wheels make a LOT of sense for personal transportation. Most of the world knows this.
Sure, but America isnt constructed the same way as most of the rest of the world. We still have suburbs 16 miles away or more, we are filled with cars, and two wheels make a whole lot less sense.

Quote:
But overall you won't necessarily save money by buying a net new bike and keeping a car around too, if strictly saving money is the only goal. The subjective benefits are high, however. I love my car but I love riding more. And it is very economical in and of itself (64 MPG, $6/m insurance, $4 oil changes).
Motorcycles are economical, no debate there. I dont believe they are practical for most people.

Quote:
Wearing full armored gear at all times, practicing religiously, riding defensively and intelligently, developing skills to anticipate and tactically avoid trouble, never riding while intoxicated, participating in basic, intermediate, and advanced professional training, keeping the tires, brakes, suspension, and engine in tip top shape, choosing a competent, well-matched bike, not riding above one's head or haphazardly, not riding with squids, and avoiding the more strenuous motoring circumstances all contribute to drastically reduce the chances and severity of incident/injury.
And I have no doubt you are correct.....now, how many people would be bothered with this amount of "homework"? Obviously not many, because we have the motorcycle stats that we do.

Quote:
I'm very well acquainted with a vast array of motorcycling statistics. These are things I've discussed thousands of times on newsgroups, lists, and forums since the mid 90s. While we're talking outliers, you also have people like my father who in 54 years of riding, around 380,000 miles, has never had a motorcycle accident. He practices all of the above wisdom.
Im sure there are many motorcycle drivers that have ridden for years, and nothing happened....so? When weighing any option, it is best to picture your probability as "average Joe". Fact is, average Joe is going to get in to more accidents, with more personal severity, then he would in a car.

Quote:
One difference is that presumably your parents are helping you voluntarily. Presumably you don't have the coercive power to throw them in jail if they don't. You and a group of like-minded voters can't vote for someone who promises to increase the benefits your parents are obligated to provide.
The statement wasnt political. It was simply a question to Slackjaw as to if he supports subsidization as the correct and effective way to create "sufficient" levels of income.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:51 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
any evidence to back that up? most people own a laptop, flat panel TV etc. and im sure they are happy they were able to buy it for cheap.
We have, in the last several years or so, lost over a million jobs. The figure has been quoted in many different ways. Bernake had just made a speech that said we'd have to create 100,000 jobs a month for years to just break even with what we've lost.

I am sure people like cheap goods but they would rather make the income that they used to and be able to choose among various models than pick the cheapest. Someone else said this, if you'd read the previous posts.

I find it hard to believe that you have a problem with this discussion. Most people have it tougher than they once did. Most people KNOW their kids are not doing as well as they should. Most people have neighbors and relatives and friends that have horror stories to tell. The only ones who don't experience these things are the very wealthy. They, those who work, have very healthy employment numbers. Remember all those notices that 'the economy is improving', or, 'doing great' of the last several decades? We all knew jobs were being exported and salaries were frozen BUT what those comments meant was that the STOCK market was doing great. The rich were getting richer. THAT obviously was all that mattered in the words 'the economy'.

We have exported many great jobs, lowering salaries here as more people compete for fewer jobs, and we have imported cheap labor which lowers the income for poorer folks. Our politicians have done this to us because they pass bills that favor big international businesses. They do this because these businesses are the major contributors to their re-election campaigns. They don't want to lose their jobs. The Supreme Court is furthering this agenda by allowing corps to contribute as much as they wish to campaigns, so this situation will only get worse.

Both parties have betrayed the people.
Any party(a third or fourth) invariably would because the system is rigged to make this sort of thing next to inevitable.

This is just stating the bloomin' obvious.

Last edited by goldengrain; 07-23-2010 at 10:59 AM..

Old 07-23-2010, 10:56 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,312,487 times
Quote:
I have to say, even though I do not believe that its possible for everyone to do what you did, nor is it really advisable, I do appreciate the fact that you keep things consistantly positive.

Whenever I post my personal stories as empirical evidence of my beliefs, people who have counter beliefs usually do nothing but attack, but I havent seen you go to that well. I do appreciate that.
Definitely. I think it's more productive to be helpful than to do nothing but criticize.

I do agree that it may not be possible for everyone to do what I did. It takes a certain level of intelligence, perserverance and charisma to do what I did. But you seem like a smart enough guy where you could make it work, given that you adopt a more positive attitude.

As far as being advisable, again, if you're risk averse, that's true. On the other hand, people who are successful likely took some significant risks to get there (unless they inherited their fortune). That being said, I don't think you'll meet a self-made man who never took a risk in his life. So perhaps being less risk averse is something we need more of. IDK, just thinking aloud here.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:20 AM

1,302 posts, read 2,948,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
As their pay sucks,the price would have to be cheap.

It is interesting how many are actually going to argue that being paid $37,000 a year for a position that demands a college degree is 'good money'.

Perhaps Americans are just fooling themselves because the alternative is uncomfortable to look at...
I wasn't gonna say anything, but that does seem like a pretty low salary for a Finance degree holder. Maybe it's all in differences in job market, but most entry-level finance jobs in my area start at around $40k and go up from there.

RD also mentioned that the average CPA at a mom-and-pop firm earns $36k; I don't know if the disparity is really that large, but in 2005, the statistic I was given was around $55k-$70k for a staff accountant at a Big 4, and in the same ballpark for a midsize firm.

I'd be inclined to suggest that RD look for a better job, but I don't know what the job market in his area is like. If I were in that position, I'd probably be working on finding out how to make myself more valuable for a start (cross-training, certification, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics