Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 12:36 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times

Advertisements

So anybody that knew the details of the Texas budget knew the happy-talk about Texas was misguided, but their huge deficit is now out in the open:

Texas slashes budget to close budget deficit - Jan. 19, 2011

The main issue is that Texas does it budget every 2 years, so they were able to pretend as if things weren't so bad over the last 2 years, now they have to eat a reality sandwich.

Its going to be funny watching Texas try to balance their budgets without raising taxes, I guess they can close the public schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 03:33 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Schadenfreude from the land of the earthquake? Tell me no! Yes Governor Perry is a big talker, I agree. However, the state legislature already has a solid plan to eliminate the deficit and they haven't even begun to take office. Can CA claim such a plan?

Old 01-19-2011, 03:35 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
Go Texas, show those fiscally irresponsible Liberals how to manage finances!

Old 01-19-2011, 03:39 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Basically texas has had a balnaced budget. Now they like many states are facing a shortfall. I see no plan to borrow like so many states have done for years tho.When you find you casn get fiancing as california did thsi year its even worse really.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:41 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Go Texas, show those fiscally irresponsible Liberals how to manage finances!
Texas is not in good shape, but the fact remains that the 5 states in the worst shape are all liberal:

"The five states in the worst financial condition--Illinois, New York, Connecticut, California and New Jersey--are all among the bluest of blue states."

Bluest states also most in debt, highly unionized and solidly Democrat (But that's all coincidental, right?) | Mark Tapscott | Beltway Confidential | Washington Examiner (http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/bluest-states-also-most-debt-highly-unionized-and-solidly-democrat-that039#ixzz1BWX5hj2G - broken link)

Edit: Someone is going to bring up this is a year old article. Regardless, I can say for a fact that Illinois, California and New Jersey are still at the top of the list today.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:45 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,036,226 times
Yeah, let's cut services to the poor and education all the while keeping the "rainy day" fund. What is the point of a "rainy day" fund if not for these circumstances?

Old 01-19-2011, 03:47 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
I am not keen on the education cuts but Texas seems to be getting down to business fast. I would bet most of the other states get mired in a lot of talk and not much action. Not to mention huge tax hikes.

I'm sure Boeing now wishes they had moved to Dallas over Chicago.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
Yeah, let's cut services to the poor and education all the while keeping the "rainy day" fund. What is the point of a "rainy day" fund if not for these circumstances?
It depends on what you think a rainy day is.
What if next year is worse ?
Texas can well afford to trim. This is the first year education is on the table for cuts.

There's a lot that can be done before teachers are layed off.
There's talk of consolidation of job functions at the district level, sharing of job functions among districts, etc.

At least there is no talk in Texas of using funny money IOU's or try to borrow. Also remember there is over $800m in Fed education money that Texas cannot get thanks to a Texas law maker. Remember that "Texas Amendment" authored by Lloyd Doggett ? Now he's all over the local news defending his move even though what he proposes is against the Texas constitution.

Jobs will be eliminated but that's part of cutting the budget.
If revenue is down then spending has to come down.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Basically texas has had a balnaced budget. Now they like many states are facing a shortfall. I see no plan to borrow like so many states have done for years tho.When you find you casn get fiancing as california did thsi year its even worse really.
Texas has balanced its budget much the same way other states have, namely with debt. If you think Texas hasn't been borrowing and doesn't plan to borrow more you're sadly mistaken. Texas has around $35 billion in outstanding debt and will be adding plenty more.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Schadenfreude from the land of the earthquake? Tell me no! Yes Governor Perry is a big talker, I agree. However, the state legislature already has a solid plan to eliminate the deficit and they haven't even begun to take office. Can CA claim such a plan?
The legislature is just yapping, you'll find the California legislature do the same thing.

In terms of California, the legislator has already raised taxes and made big spending cuts to deal with the budget. There is "talk" of more cuts, extending the tax increases, etc. So yes, California can claim the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics