Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 06:30 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,203,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
it would seem that all of the outstanding anger would be supplanted by relief that as a country we may have steered ourselves out of a catastrophe.
For some, never.

If housing crisis fixed, they'd focus on debt and unemployment as the reason we are sinking like the titanic and hope is lost. If unemployment suddenly dropped it would be all about debt. If the debt then went away they'd probably all lean on impending food shortage, $500/barrel oil, and massive inflation that is perpetually around the corner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 09:38 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,551,536 times
On the other hand, it could be that the pie-eyed ding-bat "optimists" tend to be folks who would buy houses that could never go down, because real estate always goes up.

I guess my disrespect for the Happy Daze Optimist club is the total lack of any analysis that goes beyond a Happy Presentation. While the jabber is about look-at-the-$700-Billion-being-repaid (on paper -- the presentation) there is the TOTAL absence of any view or concept of what REALLY went on with 9 TRILLION in real bailouts, that are totally unaccounted, untracked, and were intended to be held secret . . .

==================================

Fed Lifts Veil of Secrecy - Newsroom: U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders (Vermont)

The $3.3 trillion in emergency loans and other assistance and more than $9 trillion in more than 21,000 short-term loans and other financial arrangements were disclosed by the Federal Reserve on their Web site in response to a provision by Sen. Bernie Sanders in the new financial reform law. The figures revealed dwarf the $700 billion Treasury Department bank bailout out signed into law under President George W. Bush - which Sanders voted against.

================================

Just how big of a lack-wit does one have to be to not figure out there is a Con Job going on?

Old 02-06-2011, 02:12 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,893,069 times
The job of the Fed is to act as lender of last resort and not to incite a run on all banks when they do it. To give a minute-by-minute description of who got a loan during the middle of a financial panic would just invite a complete disaster would it not?

Old 02-06-2011, 03:39 AM

106,734 posts, read 108,937,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
For some, never.

If housing crisis fixed, they'd focus on debt and unemployment as the reason we are sinking like the titanic and hope is lost. If unemployment suddenly dropped it would be all about debt. If the debt then went away they'd probably all lean on impending food shortage, $500/barrel oil, and massive inflation that is perpetually around the corner.
markets love a wall of worry .... keep em coming. so far our portfolios have been doing fine. the day the worlds issues go away im selling out.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:40 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,218,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
markets love a wall of worry .... keep em coming. so far our portfolios have been doing fine. the day the worlds issues go away im selling out.
People love sitting on a powder keg of risk as long as they have the perception of making money. Human nature proves most of us would rather gain for 5 years and loss most of it in one short time, as opposed to losing small amounts for years by taking small amounts of risk and than making a fortune in one year. The market makes sure it gives us what our brains desire.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:11 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,551,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
The job of the Fed is to act as lender of last resort and not to incite a run on all banks when they do it. To give a minute-by-minute description of who got a loan during the middle of a financial panic would just invite a complete disaster would it not?

Yes, of course, how silly of me.

That corporate loans to say . . . McDonald's and Caterpillar should be kept secret is only prudent. We would not want the little people to be aware of these things . . . they may stop buying Happy Meals or something.

Here is what I do not get. If we lose a McDonald's restaurant or ten, makes no difference to nobody. Meanwhile the Fed has sat on its hands while millions have been foreclosed and/or had personal interest rates jacked to 30%+. Then they make corporate loans at zero or near zero interest, and save the top end while the mass of America is screwed over.

Wait a second, I think I do get it. As you say -- A Financial Panic -- A Titanic moment, as it were. First Class is given the lifeboats, while the masses are locked below deck. Same game, different century. And the band plays on.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:24 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,218,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post

That corporate loans to say . . . McDonald's and Caterpillar should be kept secret is only prudent. We would not want the little people to be aware of these things . . . they may stop buying Happy Meals or something.

Here is what I do not get. If we lose a McDonald's restaurant or ten, makes no difference to nobody. Meanwhile the Fed has sat on its hands while millions have been foreclosed and/or had personal interest rates jacked to 30%+. Then they make corporate loans at zero or near zero interest, and save the top end while the mass of America is screwed over.

Wait a second, I think I do get it. As you say -- A Financial Panic -- A Titanic moment, as it were. First Class is given the lifeboats, while the masses are locked below deck. Same game, different century. And the band plays on.
Very true and the ones who caused it lose nothing and are not punished.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:45 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,095,341 times
Quote:
I guess my disrespect for the Happy Daze Optimist club is the total lack of any analysis that goes beyond a Happy Presentation.
You label anybody that doesn't believe the world is ending an "optimist". Almost every economic indicator has improved over the last 1-2 years, you just not willing to even bother researching matters. You believe what you want and that's that.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:10 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,893,069 times
Quote:

You would prefer large corporations to go into default because some corner of the lending market seized up in a panic? Ok, that makes sense.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:19 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,203,753 times
I've noticed that too.

Poster: GDP is growing at a solid rate, corporate profits are up, and consumer spending is positive but we still have massive debt, unemployment is turning around too slowly, and the housing crisis doesn't seem to be able to find a bottom.

PhilipT: Pie in the sky optimist!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics