Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 07:07 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,923,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Food costs have gone up a lot, user id, by largely invisible means. New the last few years, ice cream not in half gallons, but in 1.75 quart containers at the same price, an increase of 14% (charging for 7 pounds at an 8 pound price point). Candy bars did the same, in little incremnets, .05 af an ounch at a time-5 times, now charging as a "extra large" what used to be smaller then the only size. Soda, cakes and pies, pasta, bread, etc, have all used this same trick.
it is pretty obvious to almost everyone on these boards that food prices are skyrocketing, but perhaps some of the posters are not responsible for their own food purchases.

package size shrinking and package prices rising.

again, we have inflation in what we NEED and deflation in what we own, which is possibly the worst scenario out there for the average american.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 09:47 PM

52 posts, read 70,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
My claim is not that US monetary policy has no effect on the rest of the world, just that the rest of the world is not at the whim of the Fed. The Fed can't control the global economy.
Are you done arguing that point with yourself yet?

Have you ever wondered what they could do with the 9 TRILLION dollars they couldn't account for back in December? Even at today's inflated prices, that would be enough to buy every ounce of gold on the planet...or three years worth of the world's oil production.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:18 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,098,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missed View Post
Have you ever wondered what they could do with the 9 TRILLION dollars they couldn't account for back in December? Even at today's inflated prices, that would be enough to buy every ounce of gold on the planet...or three years worth of the world's oil production.
I bet they could buy a lot of econ 101 books, stack them to the moon no doubt.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:
I bet they could buy a lot of econ 101 books, stack them to the moon no doubt.
Oh, you mean those books where you learned that monetary systems can't go bankrupt and TIPS will protect you against inflation? They're good for a chuckle every now and then, but I prefer Calvin and Hobbes.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:26 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,098,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missed View Post
Oh, you mean those books where you learned that monetary systems can't go bankrupt and TIPS will protect you against inflation? They're good for a chuckle every now and then, but I prefer Calvin and Hobbes.
No the ones that suggest talking about bankruptcy of a monetary system doesn't make any sense.

TIPS? I like'em. Good luck with your paranoia.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:19 AM

Quote:
TIPS? I like'em. Good luck with your paranoia.
Thanks, I enjoy my paranoia.

Let us know how those TIPS work out for you. They won't track food or energy inflation, but the Fed might give you enough to track the Alpo index.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:36 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,769,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
Just go to any fast food or restaurant. You used to be able to buy a number 1, 2, 3, etc. at McDonalds for around $4-$6. Now they are all pretty much $6 and up. I used to be able to pick up what I needed for groceries for around $30-$45, now it gets to be around $75. And this is just over the last 5 years or so.

As far as property taxes, all I'm seeing is assessed values going down, but the tax rate going up. So overall the property taxes are still staying about the same as they have for the last few years.
My strategy for fast food places ( if ) I go to one . I buy the dollar menu item and skip the fries and drink.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:55 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,213,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
Y
losing your job when you are fifty with 2 or 3 college bound teens and record unemployment rates, plus now you need to pay your heath care expenses out of pocket. I know a few people in that exact situation.
More than a few. Many more.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I'll have to keep working just to avoid becoming a bag lady.
Same here (or whatever you call a "bag guy") but you have to have some measure of health to work the street. In India, they come through the train stations every morning to haul out the dead bodies of street people that have (perhaps mercifully) reached the end of their meager existence. That's who we're competing with economically.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
it is just starting to become apparent to most americans that things are getting worse and that the solutions proferred were never intended to help the average american out.

I hope you're right, but I'm afraid most Americans will still focus on the ball game and Lady Gaga.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics