Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 01:24 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times

Advertisements

the ban on drilling has been lifted.

at least some americans are going back to high paying jobs in this country.

now if we could get natural gas up and running, we might be going somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 05:26 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
at least some americans are going back to high paying jobs in this country
You missed the Silicon Valley hiring binge.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:49 PM

4 posts, read 4,925 times
What are you talking about?
http://www.timemeter.com

Old 05-12-2011, 05:56 PM

we certainly need something to get jobs up and running because the dollar devaluation plan just isn't working out that well.

we devalued our dollar so the poor citizens have to pay more for their goods, yet our trade deficit INCREASED.

Highlights
The U.S. trade deficit worsened notably, largely on higher oil prices. But there are some positives in the report as well as negatives. The overall U.S. trade deficit in March expanded to $48.2 billion from a revised $45.4 billion gap in February. The March deficit came in worse than analysts' estimate for a $47.7 billion shortfall. Exports jumped 4.6 percent, following a 1.5 percent decline the previous month. Imports rebounded 4.9 percent after dropping 1.9 percent in February.

The widening of the trade deficit was led by the petroleum gap which grew to $31.3 billion from $25.5 billion in February. The nonpetroleum goods shortfall shrank to $29.8 billion from $32.8 billion the prior month. The services surplus expanded somewhat to $13.9 billion from $13.7 billion in February.

Looking at end use categories for goods, the increase in imports was led by a $7.7 billion jump in industrial supplies with $3.6 billion from oil imports. Auto imports rose $2.1 billion while capital goods ex autos gained $1.6 billion. Foods, feeds & beverages were essentially unchanged. However, consumer goods imports dipped $2.0 billion.

By end-use categories, the boost in improvement in exports was led by a $2.5 billion jump in industrial supplies, followed by automotive exports, rising $1.6 billion. Also increasing were consumer goods, up $0.7 billion, and foods, feeds & beverages, up $0.6 billion.

why i think we have been misled about how good dollar devaluation was going to be for us.....

Old 05-12-2011, 05:58 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
I don't see this as good news. Good news would be major developments in other forms of energy, which would supply at least as many jobs if they got off the ground.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:01 PM

i see it as a start. remember more good paying jobs increase buying power, which increases economic stability.

of course, i would really like to see natural gas development, but i can see a lot of roadblocks being thrown down now.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:17 AM

when you have people throwing trillions of dollars around, devaluing your money, increasing gas prices, and increasing the foreign deficit, you really have to ask yourself "is this plan working and should we try something different?"

ALL efforts at energy independence should be welcomed at this point, although i see that obama is challenging coal mine expansion over state rights:

http://www.nytimes.com/gwire/2011/05...ize-34833.html

i can only guess that this goes back to "environmentalists" (globalists) still wanting to keep us energy dependent.

one step forward, two steps back, and every effort seems wind up in a struggle.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:26 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,396,200 times
Well, now I would think the oil companies could let their politicians end the subsidies.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:29 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
Quote:
we certainly need something to get jobs up and running because the dollar devaluation plan just isn't working out that well.

we devalued our dollar so the poor citizens have to pay more for their goods, yet our trade deficit INCREASED.

Highlights
The U.S. trade deficit worsened notably, largely on higher oil prices. But there are some positives in the report as well as negatives. The overall U.S. trade deficit in March expanded to $48.2 billion from a revised $45.4 billion gap in February. The March deficit came in worse than analysts' estimate for a $47.7 billion shortfall. Exports jumped 4.6 percent, following a 1.5 percent decline the previous month. Imports rebounded 4.9 percent after dropping 1.9 percent in February.
What's wrong with a trade deficit?

Old 05-13-2011, 09:46 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
when you have people throwing trillions of dollars around, devaluing your money, increasing gas prices, and increasing the foreign deficit, you really have to ask yourself "is this plan working and should we try something different?"

ALL efforts at energy independence should be welcomed at this point, although i see that obama is challenging coal mine expansion over state rights:

State Officials Fume as Obama Admin Scrutinizes Coal Mining Permits - NYTimes.com

i can only guess that this goes back to "environmentalists" (globalists) still wanting to keep us energy dependent.

one step forward, two steps back, and every effort seems wind up in a struggle.
awww, enforcing environmental standards has states upset? how unfortunate.

coal needs to go away. wake up and get the natural gas, wind, and solar going already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics