Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 12:26 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Money in the investors hands is no more effective at churning the economy than money in the corporations hands. They'll both use the money in future investments, except for the corporation it's tax deductible.
the profits dont actually go to the investors unless its through a dividend. the investors wealthy grows because the company's stock becomes more valuable. when businesses do well, the economy does well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 01:11 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
ahhh the good old days when everything was perfect and no actual statistics need to be quoted because we all know everything was perfect back then and nobody complained about anything. we used to have utopia, then those evil tea partiers had to come in and ruin everything!
i never called it utopia, and of course there were problems. but the government budget was in much better shape. tea party really doesn't concern me. just because the media is obsessed with the idea that a small number of crazies can have any real impact once the media stops caring about them and move on to the next story doesn't mean i am.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:12 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
the profits dont actually go to the investors unless its through a dividend. the investors wealthy grows because the company's stock becomes more valuable. when businesses do well, the economy does well.
and when individuals do well, businesses do well, and the economy does well. you guys always forget that part about the individuals...you know, the people who buy the stuff the businesses make or provide. somehow, magically, businesses just do well if we lower taxes on them. lowering taxes on businesses makes people want to buy more dunkin donuts coffee or more LCD TVs...has nothing to do with the people being able to buy those goods at all.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:14 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
1. remove the cap from the wage tax

2. let the Bush Tax Breaks expire

3. a 10 cent a share tax on each share of stock traded

There would be no need for cuts the deficit would disappear wihin ten years

Old 08-19-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
and when individuals do well, businesses do well, and the economy does well. you guys always forget that part about the individuals...you know, the people who buy the stuff the businesses make or provide. somehow, magically, businesses just do well if we lower taxes on them. lowering taxes on businesses makes people want to buy more dunkin donuts coffee or more LCD TVs...has nothing to do with the people being able to buy those goods at all.
businesses employ individuals who are then productive citizens not parasites like government employees. individuals benefit with business benefits.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
30+ years ago, taxes on corporations and businesses helped to fund over half of the country's revenue.
was it you that recently said that in the good old days the top earners funded half the government? did you do any searching to find that info and this stuff you posted here or did you pull it out of your memory?

Old 08-19-2011, 01:52 PM

171 posts, read 445,232 times
It's easy to say "tax the rich" when you're anything but.

My income falls below the poverty level every single year, and I refuse food stamps section 8, medicaid, etc.

Why?

I have the decency to realize that just because I'm poor doesn't mean some rich (or even middle-class!) person owes me something. If he wants to be a nice guy, great; I'll go to the PRIVATE CHARITY he CHOSE to donate to. If not, I think he has every right to be selfish with his money; I'm selfish with mine, after all.

Last edited by Dr_Pepper; 08-19-2011 at 02:01 PM..

Old 08-20-2011, 12:15 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Exactly. Eliminating corporate taxes has little or no impact on the economy. The reason being that the only potential for it to benefit the economy would be in investors that receive dividends. And this potential is only met when the investor chooses not to reinvest dividends. As you probably already know, that scenario applies to a very small amount of investors.

So I ask again. Why eliminate taxes on corporate profits?

Also, dividends or not, the wealth of the investor is increased by company stock at the same rate (assuming the company is profitable ofcourse).

Old 08-20-2011, 02:24 AM

454 posts, read 1,242,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Exactly. Eliminating corporate taxes has little or no impact on the economy. The reason being that the only potential for it to benefit the economy would be in investors that receive dividends. And this potential is only met when the investor chooses not to reinvest dividends. As you probably already know, that scenario applies to a very small amount of investors.

So I ask again. Why eliminate taxes on corporate profits?

Also, dividends or not, the wealth of the investor is increased by company stock at the same rate (assuming the company is profitable ofcourse).
Let me explain it to you.

First, we need to understand what corporations do with their profits. They have two options:

Save it
Invest it

If they save it then it just stays in the bank and the bank issues loans based off of the capital in the bank. People spend the money, creates jobs etc etc. If they invest it, then they hire people to build stuff, do research etc. Creates jobs.

So if we eliminate the corporate tax the money that would have been paid in taxes either gets saved or invested. Corporations are more efficient at creating jobs with that money which is why I advocate no corporate tax. Also we also get the added benefits of foreign investors putting their money into the US. Why would you want to waste your money investing in foreign companies with corp tax? I wouldn't. We would also get foreign corporations moving to the US to do business. Also eliminating the corporate tax is actually pretty cheap idea to implement since we only collect around 200$ billion in corp tax. Just cut subsidies or military spending to pay for it. That's a bargain.

Citizens should pay all the remaining taxes. We would definitively need to cut spending though but with all the waste in Washington, it shouldn't be difficult to do.

Unfortunately, none of these ideas will be implemented since Obama went on a spending binge like a drunken sailor.

Quote:
People will ALWAYS be buying stuff.

Quote:
because you tax all the employees via the income tax. so by eliminating taxes on corporate profits you give american businesses a big advantage and they will be great investments, they will grow and employ more workers. taxing corporate profits is stupid, you are attacking the vehicles that create the jobs. no need when you hit all the employees with income taxes, so help the corporations create more jobs (and make it permanent, no temporary stimulus tax "incentives" or cuts help at all, thats why the decrease in social security tax is idiotic not to mention social security needs the money)
Exactly right.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:29 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,960,029 times
I'm all for a consumption tax and nothing else, then everyone pays from the bottom worker to the top elite. Everyone has skin in the game then, You then would be weeding out loopholes, tax breaks, lawyers, accountants etc.

You buy a 2 dollar sandwhich and pay 50 cents on that, or if you buy a million dollar home, you pay 250,000 on that. The parasites in bed with our government would never go for that though. How would they be able to write laws for loopholes for them to get around to paying their fair share? How would they be able to compete fairly if they had to pay their fair share and compete on an even footing, rather than raping the country and small business's at everyone else's expense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics