Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 07:24 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,397,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You're lucky. It takes me a week to do mine.... But I don't use tax software.
you have your own business though right? bit more complex than a personal return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 08:19 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,162,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
well, i didn't say the current state is acceptable, it just needs to be peeled back in layers. for instance...the beast that is the mortgage interest deduction. eliminating it would then change the affordability of a house to future buyers. so i, as a homeowner who bought under the current system, purchased something based on what i can afford. now, did the deduction greatly change what i can afford? no. but eliminating that deduction will result in an impact on the price of my home in the market. so i don't believe you can just peel the bandaid off. i think you have to do it in a phased approach, which you mentioned.

i think the government, when making changes to the tax code, has the same weakness virtually anyone has....not being able to foresee the unintended consequences. sometimes they are easy to identify, but sometimes they are not. the biggest issue i have with the government and this process is that they rarely go back and evaluate, like a "post implementation review"...to see if it's working as intended, and then change it if it's found not to be. this isn't unique to government though. happens in companies as well.
You're right - they (government) seem to struggle with actually assessing the results or outcomes of the policies they put in place.

The public's appetite and tolerance for change is far less than what politicians think. That's why changes to the tax code must be phased. Getting rid of the mortgage deduction over ten years gives people time to digest it, and adjust to it. The home market won't be shocked.

The simpler our laws, regulations, and tax structure is, the easier it is to understand their behavior.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:20 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,677,303 times
i think we should cut the taxes on the rich, increase the taxes on the poor and eliminate taxes on corporate profits.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:18 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,127,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think we should cut the taxes on the rich, increase the taxes on the poor and eliminate taxes on corporate profits.
Why eliminate taxes on corporate profits?

Old 08-18-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Why eliminate taxes on corporate profits?
because you tax all the employees via the income tax. so by eliminating taxes on corporate profits you give american businesses a big advantage and they will be great investments, they will grow and employ more workers. taxing corporate profits is stupid, you are attacking the vehicles that create the jobs. no need when you hit all the employees with income taxes, so help the corporations create more jobs (and make it permanent, no temporary stimulus tax "incentives" or cuts help at all, thats why the decrease in social security tax is idiotic not to mention social security needs the money)

Old 08-18-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
because you tax all the employees via the income tax. so by eliminating taxes on corporate profits you give american businesses a big advantage and they will be great investments, they will grow and employ more workers. taxing corporate profits is stupid, you are attacking the vehicles that create the jobs. no need when you hit all the employees with income taxes, so help the corporations create more jobs (and make it permanent, no temporary stimulus tax "incentives" or cuts help at all, thats why the decrease in social security tax is idiotic not to mention social security needs the money)
Not taxing corporations will only put more money in the hands of investors. It has no affect on the corporation's ability to create jobs.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Not taxing corporations will only put more money in the hands of investors. It has no affect on the corporation's ability to create jobs.
money in the hands of investors is good, people investing in american companies is good, american companies being able to be more competitive with foreign companies is good. more money to government that hurts business is bad. more money to government in general is bad.

as an investor, the more money an investment can make for me, the more im going to invest. money invested in treaury bills is bad, money invested in private businesses is good.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:35 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,397,033 times
Quote:
30+ years ago, taxes on corporations and businesses helped to fund over half of the country's revenue. our economy was growing quite well, and our government operated with minimal debt levels. fast forward to present day, and corporations and businesses fund less than 35% of our country's revenue. we have 100% debt to GDP, our middle class is getting saddled with more and more liability, facing less and less services provided for their money, and now in most parts of the countries, both the husband and wife have to work full time. and you want to take that further?

maybe if our government operated a bit more how it used to, we wouldn't need a job for every American that was 18 and older. maybe our unemployment might come down a bit simply because 2 people don't have to work to earn a decent living in most of the country?

Quote:
exactly. this whole idea that tax policy, and tax policy alone, creates or destroys jobs is for mental midgets.

here's a great story on the topic. How To Create a Job | This American Life

enjoy.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
30+ years ago, taxes on corporations and businesses helped to fund over half of the country's revenue. our economy was growing quite well, and our government operated with minimal debt levels.
ahhh the good old days when everything was perfect and no actual statistics need to be quoted because we all know everything was perfect back then and nobody complained about anything. we used to have utopia, then those evil tea partiers had to come in and ruin everything!

Old 08-19-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
money in the hands of investors is good, people investing in american companies is good, american companies being able to be more competitive with foreign companies is good. more money to government that hurts business is bad. more money to government in general is bad.

as an investor, the more money an investment can make for me, the more im going to invest. money invested in treaury bills is bad, money invested in private businesses is good.
Money in the investors hands is no more effective at churning the economy than money in the corporations hands. They'll both use the money in future investments, except for the corporation it's tax deductible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics