Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 07:59 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
I guess we do. We need something to destroy about 20% of the housing stock here.
Yeah, I understand.

Did not see any mal-intent in your prior observations.

Is large scale destruction the "best"path out? I see Detroit is actually doing that with its bottom-end waste-land housing.

And then just "move-up" the bottom-end folks and that upward pressure keeps the upper end afloat?

Other folks figure let the prices come down far enough and Someone-Somewhere-Somehow will buy them.

I see other folks advocating higher wages (as a ratio of housing cost) figuring that employed folks with money could or would buy them.

Since there are banks behind much of it, making believe the value and prices are good/higher than reality -- we either have to continue the charade or acknowledge the loss and let the banks finally go under?

I suppose time and neglect will do the job, eventually. Time and neglect have been the cause and cure of Ghost towns for some centuries, now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 09:24 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Can't you see.........the Fed keeps flapping their gums about another monetary injection............that is an attempt to goose both the stock market and get another housing frenzy going. Just let housing prices bottom naturally.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:23 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,380,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
remember destroying all those perfectly good used cars didn't make the car market better. it just made it harder to get a decent used car at a decent price.
Exactly!

It's not the number of houses that's the problem - it's the math!

Old 08-27-2011, 03:18 PM

607 posts, read 1,402,923 times
Along these lines, but slightly off-topic, I predict that the unemployment rate will look better on the East coast, and everyone will be really relieved until they see it was temporary construction work cleaning up after the hurricane. My brother (living in coastal NC) works marine construction and regular construction and is now excited to be getting back to work next week after being laid off...

Old 08-28-2011, 06:25 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Its much like those jobs created by the stimulus;not what most would call creatig a real job. Its about as effective as unemployemnt in creatig jobs. But like both it helps people get by .But in the end it will have to be paid back by higher insurance rates because that is who will pay for those jobs. To every effect there are other effects as always.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics