Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 02:48 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,490,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
If you spend your time at your job staring out the window wishing you were doing something else, you hate your job. A job doesn't have to be 'work'.

My job rarely ever feels like 'work' to me. I hate this modern attitude that it is unacceptable to actually enjoy what you do for money.
Just some random thoughts..

If everyone only worked what they enjoyed even if a less enjoyable but higher paying job came along, we wouldn't progress as a society. What % of the population actually enjoy cleaning toilets, cleaning up nuclear waste, etc. ?

I'd personally chase quality of life.. money makes my life more enjoyable but only up to a certain point.. the enjoyability of work is almost limitless if you find the right job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 02:52 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,734,289 times
Quote:
Last week I worked 60 hours, went out to dinner three nights, got drinks with friends one night and went ice skating with a group as well. Does the average person do that much socially in a week? You can be the judge.

70 hours is very doable. Anything beyond that cuts into my social life. 70 hours is the max I can personally do. A 40 hour week is not 'the law'. For people like me who get a salary, no one who is anyone works a 40 hour week. 40 hour weeks are for salaried employees and the office worker who has no aspirations of growing their career. A 40 hour week is only 'the law' for easier professions.

You are absolutely clueless about how many industries work. Doctors, investment bankers, consultants, those are three industries in which the average worker is more efficient and puts in more effort than most other workers and yet they all average 70+ hour weeks. We live in very different worlds. In my world, every one of my coworkers has at least a six figure salary by 30 years old (at the latest). Every person I work with is heads down working 50-70 hours/week (with a few obvious 5 minute breaks to have a brain dump). Most people simply never push themselves and never realize how much they can accomplish.

Did you just blow by the schedule I posted? Try reading before posting slick. I have 4-5 hours/night on a work day of pure free time, and that is disregarding the weekend. Are you not able to 'get groceries and take out the trash' in less than four hours? Good lord. With attitudes like yours, no wonder this country's economy is in the tubes.
What kind of world is that, bro? Do you get to see these ones strutting around?

http://outsidetheframecanada.com/unicorn_pink_800.jpg (broken link)
Six figure Unicorns (http://outsidetheframecanada.com/unicorn_pink_800.jpg - broken link)

Get real, dude. Six figures is not an actual achievement, nothing fancy. It's average salary, which means you are somewhat north of the poverty line and have some savings in the bank. Even a 400K income home is considered middle class, these days. Even 800K won't get me a fricking flat in Manhattan, let's make that very clear. I'm tired of six figures. Let's grow up and speak about seven or eight figures or shut up.

Besides, don't hide behind doctors, investment bankers blah blah blah. Doctors work around the clock, does not mean they work 70 hours a week. If a doctor's working 70 hours a week and he is a proctologist, he better get proper sleep before getting within 10 feet of my rectum. As for investment bankers, you do know the stock market itself has to close at some point, don't you? Market's not open for 70 hours a week, bro, not even currency markets. Besides, let's not confuse between traders and investment bankers....

Look, we're gonna run around in circles. But before you come out and run your mouth on how you're the best of the best of the best of the 70-hour worker bee goody two shoes, please make sure that other people value a better quality of life than yours. People have wives, girlfriends and an actual LIFE not to live in the office. Why am I having a feeling you have comforters rolled up right under your work desk which you simply pull out at night?

Old 01-31-2012, 03:16 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,203,753 times
Quote:
Last week I worked 60 hours, went out to dinner three nights
Yeah hard to find time/energy to cook a nice meal when you are working all those hours.

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Quote:
For people like me who get a salary, no one who is anyone works a 40 hour week. 40 hour weeks are for salaried employees and the office worker who has no aspirations of growing their career. A 40 hour week is only 'the law' for easier professions.
What do you mean by "people like you" what is it that separates you from the other people on salary where you can so easily state that "no one who is anyone" works a 40 hour week?

I'm a software developer, not the hardest profession but also far the easiest, and I work in a fairly in-demand concentration. I make a six figure salary in a relatively low cost of living area, am constantly bombarded with queries about whether I'm interested in a new position from both former coworkers and cold contacts, in all salary ranges, both local and anywhere from Washington DC to San Francisco, in established companies and startups.

I work 40-45 hours per week, what am I missing that classifies me as some easy job, dim career prospects person because of it?

Old 01-31-2012, 04:27 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,937,825 times
Quote:
Why the hell are you working the job you have if you feel that way? I feel sorry for anyone who chooses to have a job they hate like this.
Where did I say I hate my job? I don't. Actually, it's a good job and career. But, it's just that - a job. A job that is a means to an end. The end is to provide a means to not only pay bills, but allow me to live life and enjoy my passions and enrichen my life. I am not defined by my job. I am more than what I do for an occupation. Some people define their lives by their occupations. To me, they are missing the bigger picture, and thus I'm not one of them.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:32 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,945,615 times
Anyone who can't handle 40 hours is flat out lazy or French.. wait, same thing. Ive worked 40 hours since I was legally allowed to at 18 and 30 hours from when I was 16.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:49 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,359,828 times
Quote:
Last week I worked 60 hours, went out to dinner three nights, got drinks with friends one night and went ice skating with a group as well. Does the average person do that much socially in a week? You can be the judge.

70 hours is very doable. Anything beyond that cuts into my social life. 70 hours is the max I can personally do. A 40 hour week is not 'the law'. For people like me who get a salary, no one who is anyone works a 40 hour week. 40 hour weeks are for salaried employees and the office worker who has no aspirations of growing their career. A 40 hour week is only 'the law' for easier professions.

You are absolutely clueless about how many industries work. Doctors, investment bankers, consultants, those are three industries in which the average worker is more efficient and puts in more effort than most other workers and yet they all average 70+ hour weeks. We live in very different worlds. In my world, every one of my coworkers has at least a six figure salary by 30 years old (at the latest). Every person I work with is heads down working 50-70 hours/week (with a few obvious 5 minute breaks to have a brain dump). Most people simply never push themselves and never realize how much they can accomplish.

Did you just blow by the schedule I posted? Try reading before posting slick. I have 4-5 hours/night on a work day of pure free time, and that is disregarding the weekend. Are you not able to 'get groceries and take out the trash' in less than four hours? Good lord. With attitudes like yours, no wonder this country's economy is in the tubes.
I have several friends in BB IBD whose regular hours are 80-85/week.
Every single one of them will tell you that it ****ing sucks. The vast majority of their coworkers will tell you the same.

Secondly, hours do not equal efficiency. Half of their time at the Bank is spent doing nothing. They are paid to be there in case they are needed. If at 6 pm a VP/SVP feels he needs this and this done by 7am tomorrow, then it's great for him to have folks at the bank there until 11 or 12. Sometimes that happens and sometimes it doesn't.

They are basically being paid for their life. As cruel as it sounds, that is the arrangement and it is the arrangement for any job where you stay long hours. You are not being paid for your efficiency. You are being paid for your ass to be there when it is called upon at any time of the day.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:58 PM

18,478 posts, read 31,656,752 times
Quote:

your dinner Slick, was probably a half hour at Mc Donalds, onw night, Wendys the next and Burger King the third.

Your drinks Champ, with friends was probably 20 minutes.

Ice skating, Chief, I will give you an hour on that, and that is only because the ice was still frozen.

yo man, good for you that you love to work work work work work.

I got better things to do with my time.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:18 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,211,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Just some random thoughts..

If everyone only worked what they enjoyed even if a less enjoyable but higher paying job came along, we wouldn't progress as a society. What % of the population actually enjoy cleaning toilets, cleaning up nuclear waste, etc. ?

I'd personally chase quality of life.. money makes my life more enjoyable but only up to a certain point.. the enjoyability of work is almost limitless if you find the right job.
So because some people hate their jobs, you can justify not enjoying yours? Got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
What kind of world is that, bro? Do you get to see these ones strutting around?

Six figure Unicorns (http://outsidetheframecanada.com/unicorn_pink_800.jpg - broken link)

Get real, dude. Six figures is not an actual achievement, nothing fancy. It's average salary, which means you are somewhat north of the poverty line and have some savings in the bank. Even a 400K income home is considered middle class, these days. Even 800K won't get me a fricking flat in Manhattan, let's make that very clear. I'm tired of six figures. Let's grow up and speak about seven or eight figures or shut up.

Besides, don't hide behind doctors, investment bankers blah blah blah. Doctors work around the clock, does not mean they work 70 hours a week. If a doctor's working 70 hours a week and he is a proctologist, he better get proper sleep before getting within 10 feet of my rectum. As for investment bankers, you do know the stock market itself has to close at some point, don't you? Market's not open for 70 hours a week, bro, not even currency markets. Besides, let's not confuse between traders and investment bankers....

Look, we're gonna run around in circles. But before you come out and run your mouth on how you're the best of the best of the best of the 70-hour worker bee goody two shoes, please make sure that other people value a better quality of life than yours. People have wives, girlfriends and an actual LIFE not to live in the office. Why am I having a feeling you have comforters rolled up right under your work desk which you simply pull out at night?
It is call wall street. Corporate America. You DO realize that most doctors work 60-70 weeks, apart from a very select few specialties? And I said investment bankers, not traders. You are so out of it you don't even know what an investment banker does!

Stop talking about things you obviously don't understand. Or are you just upset that some people can enjoy their job as well as have just as good of a life as you? Jealousy is an ugly thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Yeah hard to find time/energy to cook a nice meal when you are working all those hours.

(sorry, couldn't resist)

What do you mean by "people like you" what is it that separates you from the other people on salary where you can so easily state that "no one who is anyone" works a 40 hour week?

I'm a software developer, not the hardest profession but also far the easiest, and I work in a fairly in-demand concentration. I make a six figure salary in a relatively low cost of living area, am constantly bombarded with queries about whether I'm interested in a new position from both former coworkers and cold contacts, in all salary ranges, both local and anywhere from Washington DC to San Francisco, in established companies and startups.

I work 40-45 hours per week, what am I missing that classifies me as some easy job, dim career prospects person because of it?
That means you will be a software developer your whole life. In our post-industrial information based society, the job such as a software developer is the new factory worker. You show up, do what you are told, and go home. (Read Linchpin by Seth Godin if you want more detail on that)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
I have several friends in BB IBD whose regular hours are 80-85/week.
Every single one of them will tell you that it ****ing sucks. The vast majority of their coworkers will tell you the same.

Secondly, hours do not equal efficiency. Half of their time at the Bank is spent doing nothing. They are paid to be there in case they are needed. If at 6 pm a VP/SVP feels he needs this and this done by 7am tomorrow, then it's great for him to have folks at the bank there until 11 or 12. Sometimes that happens and sometimes it doesn't.

They are basically being paid for their life. As cruel as it sounds, that is the arrangement and it is the arrangement for any job where you stay long hours. You are not being paid for your efficiency. You are being paid for your ass to be there when it is called upon at any time of the day.
And I said that anything above 70 hours is a rough schedule. is 80-85 hours more than 70? Good lord, reading comprehension is pretty low, isn't it? You are right, hours do NOT equal efficiency. The converse is also true. Every efficient worker does not necessarily only work 40 hours per week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
your dinner Slick, was probably a half hour at Mc Donalds, onw night, Wendys the next and Burger King the third.

Your drinks Champ, with friends was probably 20 minutes.

Ice skating, Chief, I will give you an hour on that, and that is only because the ice was still frozen.

yo man, good for you that you love to work work work work work.

I got better things to do with my time.
My dinners were three hour dinners at a nice restaurant, and drinks were watching a hockey game at a bar.

I am sorry some people are so bad at managing their lives that they feel the way you do, but I have no incentive to lie to strangers. This is my life. Why is it so hard for you to believe that someone can work 60 hours/week and still have a great social life? It is as if you can't admit that I might be telling the truth because your fragile ego can't handle being wrong for once.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:34 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times
Quote:
My work and social lives are not two completely separate things. I have taken a few months before, dropped my hours at my day job down to 40 per week and spent time at night helping friends start companies (which was an absolute blast). Sitting at someone's house drinking beer and brainstorming marketing ideas while hacking out code is work, but it was fun. It was a lot of fun. If I get out of work by 5-5:30ish, I can easily meet up with someone hand hang out from 6-11pm. That is five hours every weeknight to spend time with friends/family. On weekends, I have from noon to 1am to hang out/do anything. That is a lot of time. Personally, I hate downtime. I hate just sitting there watching TV. If I have a free two hours with nothing to do and I can't get a hold of friends, I will spend that time working on an investment portfolio/working for my day job/helping a friend with a potential startup company. I would be miserable if my life was any other way.

I automate the busywork in my life. I order groceries online, I buy clothes online, I subscribe to a laundry service. All of my bills are automatically paid. Technology is an amazing thing, and you can really make use of it to cut down on the hours you simply waste on day to day upkeep.
This sounds like the life of a single person - not 'married with children'. Quite a different lifestyle from those raising c hildren, participating in community activities; volunteering at a school . . . .

Old 02-01-2012, 05:53 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,211,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
This sounds like the life of a single person - not 'married with children'. Quite a different lifestyle from those raising c hildren, participating in community activities; volunteering at a school . . . .
I definitely don't have kids. I am not single though.

Look - I don't know why this is so hard for you people to believe. Every single person in my office works 50-70 hours/week, and most of them have kids.

When you have kids, you leave earlier (after 40 hours), and then put in another couple hours at night after they go to sleep, or on the weekend. The life I am describing is normal for corporate/fortune 500 type jobs. No one at the type of job I have has the attitude of "I am going to show up, punch a clock, put in my time, take my paycheck and go home". That is an attitude that I see as lazy, and so do the vast majority of my coworkers, friends, family.

Maybe I just run in different circles than you guys, but trust me when I say that I am telling you the truth. People with my attitude have great lives, we are very happy. I don't know why that is so hard for people to believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics