Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 10:05 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,621,245 times

Advertisements

Working always used to be 9-5 or 8-4 then with all this great technology you would think we could work less, but we don't. Since around 15-20 years ago the work hours are now 8-5 or 9-6, ugh, we should be working less hours, not more.

We have it all wrong here.

I am working now 8:30-4:30 with hour lunch, 35 hr work week. I have never in my life, and (I am older than dirt) worked a 40 hour work week.
that would plain old suck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 10:06 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,621,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
lol, pushing 20 hour weeks? Are people just becoming lazy, or what? 40 hour weeks are not that unreasonable. Personally, I think anything under 60 is pretty reasonable and sustainable to have a family/healthy social life.

and why does this statement NOT surprise me.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:22 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,201,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
[/u][/b]and why does this statement NOT surprise me.
[/color]
Does this add anything to this thread? Or are you posting just to give a backhanded insult?

I think the idea that a 40 hour work week is unreasonable is very telling as to how incredibly lazy we are becoming as a society. It is sad, really, that we have become such lazy people that we see a 40 hour work week as 'hard'.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:39 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,389,353 times
I don't think working 30 hours a week is a bad thing. It might help unemployment considering it is even difficult for skilled and/or highly educated workers to find employment these days. I think we are reaching a point with technology and population growth that there is going to be more labor then jobs.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:41 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,646,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
1) consider yourself lucky that you get OT; many are stuck in "salary" jobs.
2) your company should probably be hiring more people if there is a constant need for people to work OT.

This last will change after the election... they can only hold off so long.
Yep they are hiring, just having a hard time finding the people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
60 hrs work for 40 hrs pay seems to be popular with many big companies that received tax breaks and are sitting on record amounts of cash.
My company recieved huge tax breaks.

They pay overtime for "salary" employees, not nearly as much as standard overtime but you are compensated for spending more then 40 hours a week.

My company paid to relocate me, I know several people getting paid overtime along with me. Behind schedule, backordered, and hard time finding skilled labor. Makes for overtime for a large amount of people.

As for OT, my biggest work week was 129 hours. 80 regular time, 8 hours OT, and 41 hours 2x time.

Yes it killed me, but wanted a massive check before I closed on my house, for any "surprise" expenses that came along with closing and moving.

I work with people that consistantly work overtime, alot of it is mandatory. The consensus is ~50 hour work weeks, working 5 10s is a good mix. With the occasional 8 hour on saturday. Its really not that bad. Weekend work is volunteer basis.

5a-3p M-F, 5a-1p on sat, and its a 58 hours work week. Sleep 930-4a.

I know one guy that worked 2 months straight, all weekends. He also did lots fo 12s. He was crazy, but he did it.

I worked management at a bull**** job, and had 18-25 year oles on welfare with there parents, no kids, no college, just worked a BS min wage job, and I couldn't get them to work more then 25 hours a week, partied all the time(apparently any 18-25 year ole girl can get to know a bouncer, and get free drinks all night) We had to hire more people. Then I cut their hours.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:37 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,391,230 times
I think one of the biggest problems is that many people are working 50-60 hours per week nowadays, but getting paid like a 40 hour per week worker used to.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:17 AM

125 posts, read 198,354 times
You know when you sign up for it that there is a possibility that you will have to work more hours, and typically salaried employees get paid more for their responsibility.
If you are getting paid what amounts to minimum wage as a salary, and you are still being asked to work 60 hrs/week, then shame on ya...

If you don't want to work 60 hours, this is a free country, go get another job, start your own business, do whatever you have to do.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:20 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,191,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
1)2) your company should probably be hiring more people if there is a constant need for people to work OT.
The OT costs less than the benefits for additional workers. Work the few you have harder.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:47 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,208,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonlibrarian View Post
You know when you sign up for it that there is a possibility that you will have to work more hours, and typically salaried employees get paid more for their responsibility.
If you are getting paid what amounts to minimum wage as a salary, and you are still being asked to work 60 hrs/week, then shame on ya...

If you don't want to work 60 hours, this is a free country, go get another job, start your own business, do whatever you have to do.
You would think it would be part of the compensation, but it isn't

Old 01-26-2012, 11:34 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
The OT costs less than the benefits for additional workers. Work the few you have harder.
If the need is seasonal or episodic or irregular... sure.

But if the need for OT hours to be worked is the norm...
then (today especially) not hiring is more about a political choice to not hire.

How long can they hold out and by that to hopefully help put Obama's record in a bad light. At this point it's only until the fall... 10 months and falling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics