Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 08:33 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,505,561 times

Advertisements

Several times a week for months now I've been getting phone calls, usually from Washington or Oregon area codes, from a "company" that are calling themselves "Card Services" with a recording saying that they can lower my credit card interest rate and that this is my final notice. The recording tells me to press 1 to talk to a representative or 2 to stop getting notices. Of course pressing 2 doesn't stop the "notices" at all.
If you press 1 you get a person who is claiming to check if you qualify to lower your interest rate to as little as 3%. To qualify, they say, you have to have an interest rate of at least 10%, a balance of at least $3000 and be in good standing. Your cards cannot be maxed out. They ask for a bunch of info but mainly want your credit card number, your zip code and the last four digits of your SS#. They make a point of mentioning that they don't ask for your security code like it's proof that it's not a scam. Once they've "verified" that you qualify you get to talk to another person.

I've talked to these people several times playing along with their scam. When you ask them questions about their company you get different lies every time. If you push them they hang up. When you ask for a call back number they'll either hang up or give you the number to Visa's customer service line. If you ask them to stop calling you they also hang up. On one occasion a man cussed me out when I asked them questions about their scam.

This is clearly a scam and they are calling people all over the country all the time. They are obviously fishing for credit card numbers and other personal info in order to steal money. I and many other people have filed complaints against this "company" but nothing is happening. It's not only annoying to keep getting these calls but some people fall for the scam and end up losing money. According to an internet search this scam has been going on since 2008, at least.
So why can't the government shut these scammers down or do something to warn people? Why can this be allowed to go on for years? What can be done to stop these punks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 09:31 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,753,748 times
There is a post already here : Credit Card Services" is a total scam!

Old 04-13-2012, 10:04 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
Why? Cause the government is stupid, lazy, and doesn't really care.. these companies have been around for a while... the government loses millions each year to scams and they don't even try to really find and punish the criminals... why should they? Its not like its their money, if they lose it, they just raise your taxes and call it even...

Old 04-14-2012, 02:21 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,478,655 times
Cause they are smarter than the government and people continue to fall for the idea of an easy "out".

I have gotten hundreds of these calls, tried everything to stop them, and failed. At least they call during the day.

Funny thing is we have not paid interest in over 20 years so their data is flawed. Maybe they are buying credit card company info?

Old 04-14-2012, 03:26 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,725,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
What can be done to stop these punks?
Ignore them?

You win.

Easy. Done.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:16 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
Imagine a fire in a national park out west somewhere. It's not really a wildfire, but it keeps springing up in pockets all over the place and there are not quite enough firefighters to actually put it out, so every time they get one or even several put out, another will spring up over there. And there. And over there again. The truth is there are more scammers than there are federal, state, or county agents to stop them and they're more flexible and can move more quickly while the govt gets itself mired down in paperwork.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:16 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,498,923 times
Here's an idea...take your number OFF of the DNC list.

I get an occasional call from losers-who from researching the numbers I don't recognize-calls peddling cruise scams under the guise of political surveys that are allowed on the DNC guidelines...or they are just robodialing to see who answers so they know what lines are active.

I am pretty sure that the DNC loopholes are being put to use here.

Funny that folks want the gubmint's help when this is their smart idea.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
Here's an idea...take your number OFF of the DNC list.

I get an occasional call from losers-who from researching the numbers I don't recognize-calls peddling cruise scams under the guise of political surveys that are allowed on the DNC guidelines...or they are just robodialing to see who answers so they know what lines are active.

I am pretty sure that the DNC loopholes are being put to use here.

Funny that folks want the gubmint's help when this is their smart idea.
I highly doubt that the chosen tactics have anything to do with the DNC loopholes. These people are criminals and could care less if they break the law by calling numbers on the DNC list. What's anyone going to do about it? Fine them? The government can't even find them.
The political survey is just done to make the scam sound legit.

I don't get how taking your number off the DNC list is going to help anything. Will these people stop calling me and others and scam people if I take my number off the list? That makes no sense. Even if it would stop the calls, which I highly doubt, there is no way I would take my number off the DNC list. I have absolutely no interest in getting dozens of calls from telemarketers all day long like I did before they created the list. I think stopping all those calls was a very smart idea.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Ignore them?

You win.

Easy. Done.
How does ignore them stop them? I'm not mainly concerned about the annoyance of them calling me. I'm concerned that they call people who don't understand that it's a scam and scam them out of money. The next call they make may be to my grandma, or your grandma, and most grandmas don't have enough money to afford losing some in a scam.

I understand that the government don't have the resources to go after every scammer everywhere but I wish that they at least did something to warn the public about the big ones like these.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,277 times
For those of you saying "just register with the National DO NOT Call list" like this is OUR fault -understand that my company has been on that list since 2011... and I receive a call at least every other day from these people. You cannot just "ignore them"...unfortunately it's not that "easy" and certainly doesn't solve the issue. I have customers when these calls come through and have to stop helping them or giving my presentation because it looks calloused to leave a potential customer on the phone who may have needed my help. If you take down one and another pops up then the answer is simple...increase the punishment for these types of scammers... once you find the punishment that makes it not worth it to them THEN they will stop doing it. The idea of "just ignore it" is absolutely what's wrong with this country... YOU ignore it, we have laws for a reason....enforce them or leave and let someone else in who will-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics