Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 06:58 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
We all understand the basics of these scam calls. The government has the tools needed and could end this huge waste of people's time. Fines for violating the DNC are up to $40,000 for each violation.
Since the DNC was created, enforcement has collected $120 million in penalties, which comes less than a buck per phone over several decades..

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/medi...ry/enforcement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 02:19 PM

6 posts, read 8,989 times
I've been getting scam calls from these 3rd World thieves for more than 7 years. And, in my case anyway, the vast majority of those calls are apparently coming from India. I've asked them hundreds for times to stop calling. I've filled hundreds of reports with The Federal Trade Commission. I've spoken with my US Senators about this numerous times. Lately I've even tried calling The Indian Embassy in Washington DC about this. For those who want to try that, that number is 202 939 7000. And if you do call them, the best thing to do is press 0 to speak with the operator otherwise you will just get someone's answering machine.

Old 12-12-2018, 02:23 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,581,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDIEROCK View Post
I've been getting scam calls from these 3rd World thieves for more than 7 years. And, in my case anyway, the vast majority of those calls are apparently coming from India. I've asked them hundreds for times to stop calling. I've filled hundreds of reports with The Federal Trade Commission. I've spoken with my US Senators about this numerous times. Lately I've even tried calling The Indian Embassy in Washington DC about this. For those who want to try that, that number is 202 939 7000. And if you do call them, the best thing to do is press 0 to speak with the operator otherwise you will just get someone's answering machine.

Dude! Change your darn number AND don't answer calls from numbers you don't recognize. Anyone who really wants to reach you will leave a message.

Problem solved.

Old 12-13-2018, 04:02 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDIEROCK View Post
How much have these third world thieves stolen from you? And how many of the hours of your life have you chosen to give them, with hundreds of FTC reports?

There is an ironic side. If you phone 911 and report that there is a criminal DNC violation in progress, every time, you will be prosecuted for 911 abuse, since you have just become the only criminal that they are interrested in catching.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:52 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Dude! Change your darn number AND don't answer calls from numbers you don't recognize. Anyone who really wants to reach you will leave a message.

Problem solved.
Not really. I cannot begin to imagine how many family members and friends have my phone number and might need or want to reach me. Changing numbers solves nothing. You will continue to get calls at the new number.

I rarely answer the phone anymore. Sadly that means I also miss a lot of calls I would want to take.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:14 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,101,947 times
Don't your family members and friends know enough to leave you a phone message?
Never answer a number you don't recognize. If it's important, they'll leave a message.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:39 AM

105 posts, read 76,056 times
Even if a small percentage of people made it a hobby to keep them on the line as long as possible it would be the end of telemarketing.

I got angry when I started getting calls from "vehicle processing center" I did think the first call was the actual car dealer calling about my warranty.

I prefer laughing to getting angry so I started listening to the sales pitch and asking questions to keep them on the line as long as possible to waste their time. Does it cover the window wipers ? Burned out head lights ? What if I go through a big puddle and get the motor wet ? Question after question frustrate the hell out of them.

OK I am sold and would like to buy your warranty, hold on my wallet is out in the truck (more time wasted) then I get back on the line and ask how can I really know if this is legitimate ? We are a reputable company !! You sound very nice but how can I really know because anyone one can call me pretending to sell car warranties to collect credit card names and numbers... I am the one laughing and they are very angry !!

I also had "free home security" calling me but I failed to send them to abandoned houses to do an install because you need to know the owners real name and somehow they check.

Now I am getting calls for home improvement estimates, I am going to try to send that outfit on a goose chase to abandoned house next time they call.

Anyway don't get angry instead have fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyWifiGoesSlow View Post
Premise:
Telemarketers take the brute force approach to making sales. If you talk to a whole bunch of people, someone will buy what you are selling.

Counter-Tactic:
Waste as much of their time as you can. For each minute that you waste means several potential customers that will not be reached. Make Telemarketing unprofitable. Hanging up only increases the changes for them to make a sale. Don't let this happen!

Hints:
Most of the preliminary stuff is done by someone making minimum wage, and reads a script. Let them finish. It's easy points, and you were watching Star Trek and weren't using your phone anyway. It's easy to keep them interested using ``attentive grunting'', its easy.

Scoring:

Basic Point System:
For each minute spent on the phone 10 pts.
Getting transfered to someone who makes
more than minimum wage 15 pts
For each minute spent on the phone with
person making more than minimum wage 25 pts

Bonus Points:
Getting them to repeat part of the "script" 5 pts/each
Getting answers to stupid questions 15 pts/each
Changing the subject 50 pts/each
Making the sales person angry 175 pts
Making the sales person use profanity 750 pts
Get their boss on the phone, and tell them
the salesman used profanity 1500 pts
Getting their 1-800- number 10 pts
Posting their 1-800- number to alt.sex as
a free "Phone Sex" line 50 pts
Checking the number a week later and it is
busy or disconnected 5000 pts

Read more https://milk.com/random-humor/torment_telemarketers.htm

Old 12-18-2018, 01:47 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,871 times
Just hang up. Quickly, Don't tell them anything. Doesn't matter if they are still talking. click.
Do not let them engage you in conversation.
If you try to waste their time, you're wasting your own. You'll end up giving them information.

Old 12-18-2018, 03:03 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Some of you are getting real people? All I get is recorded messages. Not even the satisfaction of telling them to buzz off.

Changing your phone number makes no difference. They aren't calling a collection of phone numbers. Their computer is just random dialing.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:14 PM

2 posts, read 1,154 times
1st..i don't have a land line.so no rbo calls there.and as for my smart phone goes.i downloaded a caller ID.that alone cut down on those calls to almost none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics