Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 09:26 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,019,067 times

Advertisements

I haven't really been following the recession too much. I know about it but not the specifics and the latest information.

So will the economy ever come back or is this way of life here to stay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 09:28 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,921,396 times
Wrong forum.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:49 PM

44,369 posts, read 20,073,157 times
Thread moved from Relationships to Economics.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:50 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,509,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
I haven't really been following the recession too much. I know about it but not the specifics and the latest information.

This belong in the Economics forum but are you relating this to a relationship?

What the Economy does is something we cannot control. What matters is YOUR economy. The economy could be doing well with the lowest unemployment rate but if YOU are out of work then YOU are in recession.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:46 AM

9,370 posts, read 14,319,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post

Expect slow growth, an around 8% unemployment rate for the foreseeable future, say 10 years or so, maybe 20, and a down-sized middle class, unless someone in the US develops and applies on a mass scale a form or forms of energy that beat oil or we go back to the days of the Soviet Empire's iron curtain and the sleeping giants China, India and Brazil.

Good luck with that.

Otherwise you better swim fast or you'll sink like a stone, for the times they are a' changin'.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:03 AM

2,631 posts, read 7,019,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
Thread moved from Relationships to Economics.
I apologize I'm not sure how that happened...I could have sworn I was in the work and employment section.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:06 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
With 10% unemployment rate 90% of people are working. While some areas are taking longer than others around here we see many companies hiring large numbers of people, new home developments starting up, and even new commercial buildings
going up. It's not like 2005 when there were 25 big cranes sticking up over the skyline, but there are half a dozen, and that's 6 more than 2008-2011.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:18 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,706,964 times
It appears to be a global downturn so it may take decades.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:38 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,210,024 times
well, i've bounced back since 2008. i'm not sure about the economy as a whole. i try not to dwell on outside forces as excuses not to better my situation. just keep fighting and putting your nose to the grindstone and you'll hardly notice the "recession"

Old 07-10-2012, 10:00 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
There are a whole lot of smart people that understand there are factors that have to do with the changing patterns of global population that need new rules for economics.

The sad fact is that the lessons of low productivity soft socialized countries like Greece and Italy are not been accepted as the reality that they are -- exactly the kind of "dead ends" that politicians that covet "big government power" want to sell as something better than it is.

People need to wake up. Every day some that geek social misfit that doesn't like the fact that studly guys that come from monied families get hotter girls than he does goes back to his dorm room and tweaks up a program to make him more popular as a route to being rich is a good day in America. And when some poor slob that made a several million dollars a year for something done with a ball or while otherwise extremely sweaty and on TV falls from the super rich back down to the "my manager stole my money" level that says a lot more about how wealth really works in America. Thinking that the way to solve these problems is to "stick it to" the kid that wants to drive a fancy exotic car or take a bigger chunk of the athlete's brief windfall is NOT going to solve the basic fact that lots more countries on earth have folks a heckuva lot more desperate to screw together widgets to escape the crap existence they'd have in some miserably repressive country than have pampered workers that are not really skilled and valuable except as pawns in a game played by leaders of organizations that purport to "look out forr 'em" while really just supporting politicians that have their own twisted power at stake...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics