Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 03:57 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times

Advertisements

If you think about it, there is a lot larger market for advertizing aimed at middle and upper middle class listeners.

What is really needed is a book aimed at people struggling at the very bottom of the economic level. Interview people who have lifted themselves up from dire circumstances. There is a market from charities that might make these available at homeless shelters, soup kitchens and the like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 04:03 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
they can just watch suzie ormann and her cast of financial misfits. only problem is those misfits represent a major part of this country i am sorry to say.

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-09-2013 at 04:32 AM..

Old 03-09-2013, 05:37 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
If you think about it, there is a lot larger market for advertizing aimed at middle and upper middle class listeners.

What is really needed is a book aimed at people struggling at the very bottom of the economic level. Interview people who have lifted themselves up from dire circumstances. There is a market from charities that might make these available at homeless shelters, soup kitchens and the like.
DR targets this demographic. His advice is very basic and simple.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:09 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post

Those books are around. Just go to the library where you can borrow them for free.

As far as homeless folks go....the hard core homeless usually have major psychological and emotional problems (usually going to back to childhood trauma of some sort such as phycial/sexual abuse) that motivational books aren't going to cure...although they certainly won't hurt.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:34 AM

1,552 posts, read 3,168,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Some people are lucky. They come into money without per se earning it. Maybe they inherit it, or something works perfectly with their small business or investment. Some people in the tech business during the dot com heyday made millions via stock options but weren't really important to the success. And lots of these people have no idea how to manage their money other than the spend it.

Think about professional athletes. They can make huge amounts of money, and there is tons of data to show that many are broke after just a few years. Vince Young is a case study. These guys NEED someone like Ramsey. But they don't ask for help until after their entourage and free spending have done their damage.
vince young is one of the dumbest human beings on the face of the earth but to say athletes don't earn there money isn't really fair. they possess a skill that is high in demand that few people have.it's completely different than winning the lotto or inheriting money.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:46 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
Vince Young is one of the dumbest human beings on the face of the earth but to say athletes don't earn their money isn't really fair. They possess a skill that is high in demand that few people have. It's completely different than winning the lotto or inheriting money.
Agreed on both points. Pro-athletes work for years at essentially no pay before they get into the pros and then they only make big money for a few years. Their unions should push for mandatory financial counseling from the first day they become pro.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:48 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
the OP shows a very strong mind set in america. its the eddy murphy perception of the world. hard skills are irrelevant, saving and austerity are irrelevant and people have money bek they are white and lucky.
i get this all the time.
LOL
i have been more poor than most ghetto AA.
u dont know poor til u know french poor.
ramsey only preaches what was normal thinking and behavior 50 years ago, nothing new.
but to the y generation it sounds like crazy talk.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:59 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,700,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the OP shows a very strong mind set in america. its the eddy murphy perception of the world. hard skills are irrelevant, saving and austerity are irrelevant and people have money because they are white and lucky.
i get this all the time.
LOL
i have been more poor than most ghetto AA.
u dont know poor til u know french poor.
ramsey only preaches what was normal thinking and behavior 50 years ago, nothing new.
but to the y generation it sounds like crazy talk.

lol @ french poor. How about congo civil war poor? Please. Poor is poor.

Hi, Y gen here. Googling hard and soft skills I found interesting answers to that exact phrase. Saving and austerity for me is 100% useless. Austerity being moving into a studio from a 2 bedroom place? or what exactly?

Eating rice and beans only, taking public transportation, not using a/c or heat, renting a studio, no internet, no tv, never eating out. Sounds like the life of a college student not a family or a real solution to the problem.

For me, saving is irrelevant because it doesn't cover basic bills and screw up on anything, health or financially, your savings is wiped out. Even if we went down to rent, utilities, food, vehicle cost only, we would still be living on the edge and we don't even live in California or high dense place. Cooking everything from scratch would be great, if we had time.This is the life of a family of three on a single person income.

But it's really funny a lot of people here talk trash about Y gen. Well this Y gen lived in an apartment with 4 other guys and still couldn't afford food. What was my alternative? Going into the dumpster and picking out food that people have thrown away. I did that for 3 months before I gave up and moved back into my parents, oh boy.

Now don't go into the whole "you have it better then a 3rd world country." We aren't talking about 3rd world countries, quit trying to side track this.

I am a little better financially, but you know... that thing called income taxes? It does 100% nothing for me. It zaps so much out of my check and does what? 100% nothing for me. I see Big O going to France, I see all these ex-politicians and presidents with life time body guards with... you guessed it ... TAXES. So I am confused why the Y generation is targeted so much when we just started.

Trying to eat your young or something? Guess you can replace us with immigrants, that's the goal right? While you live it up big and retired right?

Old 05-24-2013, 11:09 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
Cooking everything from scratch would be great, if we had time.This is the life of a family of three on a single person income.

So I'm assuming this is:

2 Adults and one child.

1: Adult works
And the other adult doesn't work and DOESN'T have the time to cook?!?

I'll admit I've been so busy working that I didn't have much time to cook.... but then I was working 70-90 hours a week. And I STILL managed to cook a couple times a week!

Oh, I'm 30 BTW, so none of this 'you hate me because I'm generation Y' Please...

Old 05-25-2013, 01:22 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,700,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I'll admit I've been so busy working that I didn't have much time to cook.... but then I was working 70-90 hours a week. And I STILL managed to cook a couple times a week!

Oh, I'm 30 BTW, so none of this 'you hate me because I'm generation Y' Please...
I don't hate any generation. I have friends from their 20s into their 60s. I only brought up the whole Y gen thing because the other guy did. So why not bring an example instead of argue tit for tat.

You say you didn't have time to cook when you were working 70-90, then say you did. Which is it? It doesn't really matter what you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics