Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 12:05 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,161,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
It's not that complicated, just go after the employers, fine them and put them in jail.
Problem is a lot of employers have no way of knowing. I use independent contractors pretty routinely. I just ask for a work sample and a W-9. If someone is illegal, I'd really have no way of knowing. They'd have to be educated and be fluent in English, especially written English. That excludes most Americans and even more immigrants, legal or otherwise.

Others do turn a blind eye. Cheap labor pool they can exploit without repercussion is hard to turn down. That's why you make them legal. Maintains the labor pool but brings it above ground and subject to labor laws, taxation, etc.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:35 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
If the feds really wanted to stop illegal immigration, they could do it in a heartbeat. Why is it we can fight wars half way around the world but not control our borders? It's a matter of priorities.

Here's the REAL reason why they don't do it:

1. The Democratic party (primarily) wants a continuing source of voters and people dependent on them/the welfare state.
2. The Republican party (primarily) wants a cheap slave labor force.
3. The Global Elite do not want people to have a national identity. They want to get rid of national boundaries and identities in favor of a Global government dictatorship...Having massive illegal immigration in many countries is but one step in the process of leading us down the road to global tyranny.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:45 PM

168 posts, read 335,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post

1. The Democratic party (primarily) wants a continuing source of voters and people dependent on them/the welfare state.
2. The Republican party (primarily) wants a cheap slave labor force.
3. The Global Elite do not want people to have a national identity. They want to get rid of national boundaries and identities in favor of a Global government dictatorship...Having massive illegal immigration in many countries is but one step in the process of leading us down the road to global tyranny.

Reps to you. You really hit the nail on the head.

If we really wanted to stop illegal immigration we would militarize the southern border and we would be more strict with the current illegals here.

Democrats want them for their votes and republicans want them for their cheap/slave labor.

I would continue with your third point but I would most likely be labeled as a racist.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:51 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDSUBison View Post
Reps to you. You really hit the nail on the head.

If we really wanted to stop illegal immigration we would militarize the southern border and we would be more strict with the current illegals here.

Democrats want them for their votes and republicans want them for their cheap/slave labor.

I would continue with your third point but I would most likely be labeled as a racist.
Actually, I don't necessarily think we'd even need to militarize the border. If we would not provide free education and other benefits to illegal immigrants, that would solve a lot right there. Of course, that means the Plyler v. Doe Supreme Court decision regarding education and illegal immigrants would need to be overturned. We would also need to enforce it with employers. Make them use the "e-verify" system for Social Security numbers, etc.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:13 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,161,984 times
Quote:
Actually, I don't necessarily think we'd even need to militarize the border. If we would not provide free education and other benefits to illegal immigrants, that would solve a lot right there. Of course, that means the Plyler v. Doe Supreme Court decision regarding education and illegal immigrants would need to be overturned. We would also need to enforce it with employers. Make them use the "e-verify" system for Social Security numbers, etc.
Doesn't do a whole lot of good. I'm John Q. Smith, social security # 555-55-5555. Checks out good. Turns out that's really John Q. Smith's SSN. Just so happens the person claiming to be John Q. Smith isn't. The e-verify system would need to be enhanced to include bio-metric data.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:48 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,033,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
Reducing illegal entry into the USA.

There’s little point to any immigration legislation unless we’re able to reasonably secure our national borders. I'm aware of only four proposed methods for border security that may somewhat reduce illegal entry into the USA.
(1) Disband the Border Patrol.

(2) Remove all border fences and check points.

(3) Adopt national ID cards for all US citizens and permanent residents to be presented to every prospective employer.

(4) Instant electronic verification of employment eligibility for all job applicants.

(5) Penalties for failure to comply with verification of employment eligibility. Individuals: one million dollar fine, and one year in prison. Corporations: one billion dollar fine and one year in prison for the CEO.

(6) Problem solved.

(7) Never gona happen in a million years, because the 1%ers love their cheap foreign labor.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:44 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,914,446 times
When you cut off the jobs they will stop coming. Of course we still need seasonal Ag workers. Canada has a great program where they temporarily bring them in and assure they are paid decent wages, even a savings plan. They lose that if they don't return home at the end of the season. Stiffer penalties on employers. For example, forced dismantling of construction done by illegals. Fencing the border is a joke since it doesn't stop anyone overstaying a visa.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:00 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,890,159 times
What does any of this have to do with economics? Sure looks like nothing but politics to me. Isn't there already a forum for all the fearmongering over illegal immigration?

Old 04-01-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
I believe the border being militarized is the only real option, that we could get done. However the whole not providing the children education would take much more and would be demonized by the left and they would stop anything that would come close to overturning Plyler v. Doe. We would have to take them kicking and screaming and with our court process taking the time it does it would be years before anything would happen.

We could militarize the border in a day.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
What does any of this have to do with economics? Sure looks like nothing but politics to me. Isn't there already a forum for all the fearmongering over illegal immigration?
Illegal immigration has nothing to do with economics? Please explain your position how illegal immigration has nothing to do with economics please. I am genuinely interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics