Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 07:59 AM

1,924 posts, read 2,374,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
and you know this as fact ? sorry but you try to speak for to many people .
Did you actually read the article in Post-1? Who would you take the target audience to have been when six of the first nine words in the piece are "owning your home instead of renting"?

Quote:
in fact right now my son is one of them. he is an attorney ,his wife is a cpa and they are looking to buy their first home and they are an amt couple.
What do we know about the relavance of personal anecdotes?

Quote:
if you want to split hairs on numbers of people already your statement is wrong.
Bruises too easily and heals too slowly. Resorts often to the ridiculous.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
believe whatever number makes you happy
Thanks, but I'm pleased enough just sticking with the actual data. You know, the ones I posted earlier?

Old 06-27-2013, 12:09 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktonite View Post
... The fact that virtually every actual economist is in theory opposed to the deduction has been getting wider and wider play of late...
Actual economists are also against Virtually all forms subsidies & sin taxes that distort the efficient allocation of capital, including farm subsidies, solar energy subsidies, big oil subsidies, health care subsidies, unemployment subsidies, welfare subsidies, etc.

Actual economists also know that the true economic value of home ownership lies not in the deduction for interest. It lies in the tax-free income in the amount of the fair-market rental rate. Let me know if I need to elaborate in this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-27-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Let me know if I need to elaborate in this.
No, you needn't bother since much of it is wrong and I already am an actual economist.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:34 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Actual economists are also against Virtually all forms subsidies & sin taxes that distort the efficient allocation of capital, including farm subsidies, solar energy subsidies, big oil subsidies, health care subsidies, unemployment subsidies, welfare subsidies, etc.

Actual economists also know that the true economic value of home ownership lies not in the deduction for interest. It lies in the tax-free income in the amount of the fair-market rental rate. Let me know if I need to elaborate in this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is widespread disagreement amongst economists as many economist recognize that not all subsidies and sin taxes distort the efficient allocation of capital. For example, sin taxes are levied on items that typically have negative effects on society (ie: health effects of second hand smoking) but those negative effects are not reflected in the price of the product. The tax, however, does reflect that cost.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:36 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,567 times
Quote:
You can't be serious. You think just because they are high income earners they have a clue?

Just the opposite , they usually farm out most things to be done for them so on their own they are clueless.

FINANCIAL IGNORANCE HAS NO INCOME LIMITS

until I sold a few properties and got whacked by the amt the first time I was as foreign to it as the man in the moon. but it is just not the amt it is just a general public ignorance pertaining to anything financial and that applys especially to anything pertaining to their taxes .
This is very true. Every hear of the stories of formerly seven figure professional athletes or celebrities who become bankrupt?

Old 06-27-2013, 03:54 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,215,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktonite View Post
Then you would be just as wrong as he is.

Boy do you believe everything you say? Where did you learn to debate? Try loosing the hard entrenched positions of Yes I'm right and NO your wrong . Maybe try something like "My experience has been different" or even the childish "that's your opinion". Makes having a discussion for more enjoyable when you aren't constantly looking to pin everyone to the mat.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:08 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
yep he certainly believes his own bull-sh#t , that is for sure.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
Boy do you believe everything you say? Where did you learn to debate? Try loosing the hard entrenched positions of Yes I'm right and NO your wrong . Maybe try something like "My experience has been different" or even the childish "that's your opinion". Makes having a discussion for more enjoyable when you aren't constantly looking to pin everyone to the mat.
There certainly are some areas where opinion or personal experience might be relevant. A statement that fewer than 50% of homeowners itemizes is not one of those. It is a declaration of fact that can be conclusively proven or disproven. In this case, it was conclusively disproven, and anyone still agreeing with the original claim would be just as wrong in the matter as the poster who first and so erroneously proposed it. Sorry if the rules make things a litttle tough for you.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_the_facts View Post
There is widespread disagreement amongst economists as many economist recognize that not all subsidies and sin taxes distort the efficient allocation of capital.
Part of the "much" that was wrong in the earlier post by Mr. Big Stuff or whomever. There is actually widespread agreement among economists that markets are amoral mechanisms, that they are perfectly capable of settling into long-term equilibria that include human and social equity costs and conditions that are intolerable to any decent society, and that actions to alter or limit simple market outcomes are appropriate in such circumstances. Where disagreement tends to creep in is over the matter of how such intervention might best be carried out, one school typically proposing things that don't work at all, and the other typically proposing things that do. The latter school is a huge majority, but in an age of mass disinformation, that doesn't always matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_the_facts View Post
For example, sin taxes are levied on items that typically have negative effects on society (ie: health effects of second hand smoking) but those negative effects are not reflected in the price of the product. The tax, however, does reflect that cost.
One should perhaps add to this the fact that producers driven by naked capitalism to an obsession with profits above all else are forever trying to externalize costs of every sort, keeping them off their own balance sheets and out of their own markets, dumping them all off on society instead. Society has a right to act in self-defense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics