Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 02:28 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Last month posted some good numbers so lets hope the report tomorrow is good. Not sure I really believe anything the government puts out though.
The real picture will show up in January after the retail companies, etc., lay off the Christmas help.

Quote:
The unemployment numbers are a joke!! As we all know it does not factor in those who have given up looking for a job, underemployed, and others so the numbers have been high.
Those things are covered in the U6 unemployment rate which is 13.2 nationally. The U3 rate used by Obama and so often quoted is 7% which is about 1/2 of the true unemployment rate.

Unemployment rate is high in some states, and low in others.

Here is a copy of survey.

Current Population Survey (Household Survey) - FRED - St. Louis Fed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 03:28 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
Well this implies we need to raise the minimum wage to $15 per hour
I don't understand why we would need to raise the minimum wage. And secondly jobs like fast food worker are for high school students, college students, and those who need an additional income. THEY ARE NOT CAREERS; THEREFORE, THERE IS NO NEED TO RAISE THE MINIMUM WAGE!

Old 01-09-2014, 03:32 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,396,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
I don't understand why we would need to raise the minimum wage. And secondly jobs like fast food worker are for high school students, college students, and those who need an additional income. THEY ARE NOT CAREERS; THEREFORE, THERE IS NO NEED TO RAISE THE MINIMUM WAGE!
Just because you say it, doesn't make it so. You clearly haven't experienced what has happened in the economy in the past 4-5 years, or you would know better.

What's the first person said to a long term unemployed person these days?

"Walmart/McDonald's is hiring."

Old 01-09-2014, 04:33 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
You know what's funnier? When people, including Obama, keep blaming a president five years gone from office. When does the current POTUS own the current status?
This line of thinking is what is wrong with America as the everyday citizen now has the same mindset. Blame anything/everything on someone else, especially when that someone isn't around and has nothing to do with righting any perceived wrongs. Yep, it gets you off the hook for a day but you have to face the music eventually.

Are you joking? Bush and his predecessors created this recession.

Now we have the filibustering Republicans in the Senate and the Tea Party in the House obstructing the president. How the hell can you possibly blame Obama for the economy when the GOP won't let him do ANYTHING to fix it?

The GOP is basically grabbing America's hand and using it to punch us and saying "Stop hitting yourself! Stop hitting yourself! You lazy bums! Get a job! You should be happy to work for minimum wage! You're better off now that we've offshored those manufacturing jobs you didn't want!"

Old 01-09-2014, 04:35 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
You are just plain ignorant of reality. They aren't "for" anybody. The real jobs went away, and now most of the people working those service jobs are adults with families.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:56 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
You are just plain ignorant of reality. They aren't "for" anybody. The real jobs went away, and now most of the people working those service jobs are adults with families.
^^^ this. I'm so tired of this country being so bitter, mean, and divided. Can't you just accept that your fellow countrymen are hurting? Not just the junkies and the welfare queens (who number few out of the majority)... but just regular decent people who got dealt a rough blow? Most often through no fault of their own? If someone is working a full week and trying to make a go of it I believe they deserve a roof over their head and food on their plate. Anyone who believes otherwise is not a real American. Just bitter and cruel. Hateful and a coward. Only a coward would hide behind a computer screen and dispense such awful rhetoric. We all go through difficult times and are supposed to be there for each other if we are to live in a civilized society. I'm starting to truly believe we do not. I don't believe the minimum wage should just automatically go up to $15 an hour. But I do think that it needs to be incrementally adjusted each year for inflation, beginning at about $10 per hour until it gets there by the end of the decade. Just remember... that just because you had luck and everything handed to you does not mean everyone is so lucky. People just as able (and sometimes much more able) fall through the cracks every day through forces beyond their control.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:01 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,396,200 times
For the record, I wouldn't be against a lower minimum wage for teen workers, and a higher one for those 18 and up.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:35 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Just because you say it, doesn't make it so. You clearly haven't experienced what has happened in the economy in the past 4-5 years, or you would know better.

What's the first person said to a long term unemployed person these days?

"Walmart/McDonald's is hiring."
Actually, I say move to a state like Texas or Washington where they are more likely to find a job with better pay and benefits. Walmart and McDonald's doesn't get most people's bills paid. Like I said, those jobs are there so people can have an additional income.

And plus, who the hell wants to work for Wally or Mickie D's anyway? Getting paid minimum wage with a sh*tty work environment just causes more stress and an unhappy worker. Ever notice how those employees generally don't care?

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Ok.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:45 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,406,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Maybe his predecessor shouldn't have let unemployment escalate rapidly to near double-digit percentages in his second term? I love how people pretend that all of our current economic woes magically appeared when President Obama won the election.
Yes I agree Clinton started it by signing NAFTA when he was told what would happen.

brushrunner

Old 01-09-2014, 07:02 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,105,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
For the record, I wouldn't be against a lower minimum wage for teen workers, and a higher one for those 18 and up.

I would think that is quite discriminatory for those under 18. Maybe you could call that the full employment act for teenagers. All the teenagers would get jobs and more adults than ever would be unemployed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics