Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 07:47 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaker View Post
Gift card? Sounds like someone was laughing at you. Either that or it was someone who enjoys eating without cooking before or cleaning up after. Don't you just hate people like that?
I don't think they even thought about where they were sending us, just giving us a night out. That is fine, just enough that they thought of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I do agree with being able to make it cheaper at home and that the quality is too often lacking.. but people also go out for a reason to. To be served , not have to do dishes, not have to go to the market and buy those ingredients at Costco,Sams club or another market, etc.

It's almost always going to be cheaper to make it at home. But you can't really compare going out versus eating at home.
I agree people do go out for the reasons you state but I doubt many are happy paying top dollar for mid level food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
I don't watch the show so missed all the hub bub last spring.... but WOW!!!!!!
Funny thing is, they're still open. Heaven only knows how as nothing has really changed if all the comments on F.B. are any indication.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 08:15 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,392,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I agree people do go out for the reasons you state but I doubt many are happy paying top dollar for mid level food.
These people keep coming back. They apparently do not believe that Darden stores charge top-dollar prices for mid-level food. There is no reason why you should either.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:11 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,052,087 times
The food is TERRIBLE at all 3 of those restaurants.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:25 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
I don't think they even thought about where they were sending us, just giving us a night out. That is fine, just enough that they thought of us.

Funny thing is, they're still open. Heaven only knows how as nothing has really changed if all the comments on F.B. are any indication.
Yeah definitely people don't want to feel like they get ripped off. But I'm guessing some people do like the food if they keep coming back.

Unless they are in a super touristy area , all these businesses need repeat customers to stay in business.

Living in a place with tons of non chain restaurants (L.A) , it would be hard to live somewhere were chains are the only option. Some chains are decent though and for some areas or situation a chain is the best possible option for different reasons.

I'm sure there are places where Olive Garden is the best italian place around, and Red Lobster is the best seafood around.

Personally I'd rather go to a Red Lobster versus Olive Garden.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:45 PM

152 posts, read 221,809 times
we always joked that if you went to (name the chain) restaurant consistency was key and you would know exactly how much antacid you would need. I think folks like something familiar but we all have gone way off topic as to whether or not big corporations have the right to push the letter of the law to add to the bottomline and who actually profits.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:57 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaker View Post
These people keep coming back. They apparently do not believe that Darden stores charge top-dollar prices for mid-level food. There is no reason why you should either.
Given that their profits are less than stellar (to the point they want to spin off and sell) I'd say there's something not quite right with what you're saying.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:15 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,392,231 times
Quote:
Given that their profits are less than stellar (to the point they want to spin off and sell) I'd say there's something not quite right with what you're saying.
Their profits are fine. Their mature brands -- Red Lobster and Olive Garden -- are mature, and hence low-growth. Darden is under pressure from ever-meddling hedge funds to drive up share prices and improve "shareholder value". The latter has not so much to do with the restaurant business as it does with perceptions of the potential value of the real estate that Darden owns beneath many of its stores. This is just another attempt at make-a-buck intervention by financial outsiders.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:20 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,164,704 times
here you go:
Darden - Investors - Financial Information

specifically, 2013 annual report: http://investor.darden.com/files/doc...l%20Report.pdf

they seem to be doing fine. their net income decreased in 2013 but it is still healthy

Old 01-17-2014, 09:30 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,784,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
I dont know about around you, but around here they are standing room only.
The Olive Garden where I live is always busy. The Red Lobster isn't half as busy, but that's probably because I live near the New Jersey shore and there are far better seafood restaurant choices nearby, like, "The Crab Trap" or "The Oyster Creek Inn" for less money. They just opened a Longhorn's in the area, never seems crowds there, but it's never dead either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
The workers demands are not so unreasonable. I worked in a restaurant years ago when the going rate for waitresses was something a little over a dollar. Tips were supposed to make up the difference to bring the wage to at least minimum wage.
I never really understood how restaurants were allowed to get away with pay less than minimum wages. They must have had a strong lobby group when they were writing these labor laws. What if the restaurant is slow one night and they don't make enough tips to bring them up to the minimum wage? Does the restaurant make up the difference? Somehow I doubt it.

Last edited by TechGromit; 01-17-2014 at 09:43 AM..

Old 01-17-2014, 10:24 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
According to this from the gov, it seems employers do have to make up the difference .

http://www.dol.gov/elaws/faq/esa/flsa/002.htm

I'm sure they did have a strong lobby , but without these laws there also might be a lot less restaurants...less people would be working, tax revenues would be less ,etc.

These laws also vary by state of course.

THere are several states where the min wage is same for tipped or non tipped employees
You can see them here if you are interested:
http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm

These laws would benefit the busier restaurants in the states where employers would be able to tip the min wage.

Another example of how cost of doing business is higher in some states versus others.

Seems an employer in Texas can get away with paying almost 4x less min wage out of their pocket versus CA, especially if it's a busy place. Texas employer only has to pay $2.13 versus $8 in CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics