Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 11:44 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times

Advertisements

I think like always some do and some don't invest in their future. Always been the same but government programs certainly mean more conning themselves. In the past with huge boomer popualtion contributing and not withdrawing the government programs were much more secure than now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 03:00 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,168,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Globalization is here to stay; the American economy is descending, emerging economies are ascending. American workers are competing with teens for low-wage jobs. The sooner we accept downward mobility, the better off we will be for it.

Unless you want the American working class to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century global economy.

The key there is "unskilled" American workers are competing with teens for low-wage jobs.

Old 05-09-2015, 03:02 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
Quote:
The key there is "unskilled" American workers are competing with teens for low-wage jobs.
how is it different? The unskilled normally ARE the teens. They work low wage jobs because even if they are skilled, they are still teens and need to go to school

most people don't count out of teen years after working them as unskilled. Even going to college adds "skills" to someone, they just don't know how to market it because they don't want to work in "uncomfortable" jobs

Old 05-09-2015, 03:18 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times

[SIZE=2][/SIZE] "People don't save enough for retirement because they can't imagine their future self"

I think more people don't save enough for retirement is because they CAN'T, Period!

Old 05-10-2015, 05:40 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Truth.
My wife and I meet the employer match on 401k and max our IRAs each year. We do not know anyone else that does this.
Wait a few years and you will. Older people have very high savings rates on average, to make up for low savings rates when young. (I'm a researcher who specializes in retirement issues.)

Old 05-10-2015, 06:18 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
You can't afford not to - period. Look, I've been there, and I'm telling you it can be done. I don't make a lot of money - less than $70K last year, and my wife only works a few hours a week. We have 4 kids, and yet we still manage to live comfortably and save a decent amount every month. I've been on the other side of the fence, and it was only a matter of making a conscious decision to charge our financial habits that did it for us. If you want to do it, you can, you just have to make it a priority - and no amount of arguing will make me believe otherwise.
I am not talking about households that make almost $70,000 a year. I am talking about households that make $30,000 a year or less, people who really have nothing left after they pay for housing, utilities and transportation (and driving clunkers, not expensive cars). And I am not one of those people but I do know people in that situation.

I also know people who say they have no money but somehow have money to hang out in the bar several times a week. I don't understand that. No wonder they have no money.

So I get what you are saying, that a lot of people can make better choices and would have money to put away for retirement. I was only referring to those who really only have enough money to make ends meet - and maybe not even that.

But you are right, even that is a choice. They could get an education or training so they can make more money and put themselves in a better financial situation.

Some also are content to be on government assistance and figure the government is taking care of them now and will take care of them after retirement too.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:23 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
This is why I'm the only one with a sustainable solution for these people.
You did not invent tiny houses.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:52 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
maybe he was referring to prisons?

Old 05-10-2015, 07:08 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post

Ah, but I did invent urban tiny house ownership on tiny lots.

Urban tiny houses on urban standard lots are not affordable to the gentrified.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:10 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
maybe he was referring to prisons?

Nope. I offer the Ownership Society to ALL working Americans. There is NO ownership in prison, only owneeship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics