Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 11:34 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
That's what I was going to say. A lot of people are living paycheck to paycheck trying to keep up with today's bills. Saving for retirement is something they can put off, so that's what waits (and then never happens). They can't put off paying for housing, utilities, food, and transportation to and from work.

This is why I'm the only one with a sustainable solution for these people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
You can't afford not to - period. Look, I've been there, and I'm telling you it can be done. I don't make a lot of money - less than $70K last year, and my wife only works a few hours a week. We have 4 kids, and yet we still manage to live comfortably and save a decent amount every month. I've been on the other side of the fence, and it was only a matter of making a conscious decision to charge our financial habits that did it for us. If you want to do it, you can, you just have to make it a priority - and no amount of arguing will make me believe otherwise.

The most I have ever earned in a year is $17K. Today I live on less than that. I can't afford to save for retirement. That's why I seek sustainable solutions in cheap housing.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Well lets be honest. The "loss" is rarely permanent, it was a market correction and if you WAITED it came back. And if "you" were upside down in a bad mortgage shame on you for spending all your equity or not having any to begin with.

People who wanted to retire at FIFTY are NOT in bad shape just because they had to defer their plans.

And I don't know many people who, at 70, wish they SPENT their money instead of being able to afford the gorgeous Independent Living or Assisted Living lifestyle - and here where I live they ARE luxurious.

"JUST" winding up in a "high class nursing home"? You better hope to be that lucky AND practical!

So if you're poor, shame on you for paying half your income on rent, or not having any equity because the only mortgage you could get was a bad mortgage.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
The reason he was a millionaire was BECAUSE he drove an old car and lived in the same house. I know so many people use this old saw about not wanting to save all their life only to die young as an excuse to live only for today and not save. Only when they are on the threshold of retirement and realize what a meager amount they will have to live on will they say "I wished some one had told me when I was young about the value of compounding interest, blah,blah...."

I know people who drive an old car and live in the same house...and they're poor.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:59 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The most I have ever earned in a year is $17K. Today I live on less than that. I can't afford to save for retirement. That's why I seek sustainable solutions in cheap housing.
better seek another job

Old 05-07-2015, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
better seek another job
Globalization is here to stay; the American economy is descending, emerging economies are ascending. American workers are competing with teens for low-wage jobs. The sooner we accept downward mobility, the better off we will be for it.

Unless you want the American working class to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century global economy.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:25 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,655,355 times
Remember the days when we used to sell tobacco to England in exchange for tea? Which itself of course came from someplace else? Like automation, globalization is something that's been going on for hundreds of years. The world did not begin in 1980, boys and girls.

Old 05-07-2015, 06:56 PM

493 posts, read 443,012 times
I recently advise my brother-in-law (who recently graduated from college and got a job) to save 15% in 401k. I guarantee he will reach 1 million based on projection I did. He told me he can't imagine himself retired and do nothin at home. He'd be bored to death.

Young people don't learn.

It's hard to convince them the benefit of true financial freedom. The image of fixed income to cover one's lifetime expenses, free time doing whatever they want instead of a 9-5 office job seem too unrealistic to fathom in their mind. At least right now.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:50 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,655,355 times
People who love what they do may not have so much interest in retiring. If you don't retire at the very first moment you are eligible to, you don't need to save up as much money to support yourself in your old age.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:05 PM

25,964 posts, read 22,132,993 times
So, how many of the posters here are in "investments" for a career? I don't know where some of you come from but I have known more than one person working 3 jobs, many working 2 jobs and only making ends meet. They are not living lavishly. They are the working poor. There are a lot of them and there will be more and more of them as time goes on. The high school here and the 4-year college will graduate a lot of students that will have no job. We have people with college degrees working part-time at Wal-Mart and glad to have a job. Oh, they should relocate? They don't have the money to do that and I know how much it costs because we have done it a few times.

Look beyond your own little station in life before making judgments about the rest of the world which obviously, many people just don't have a clue. I have known many people who lost money that was "invested" and now, instead of retiring, they are still working.

We live and have lived in other places that have low cost of living and low wages and to see the people struggle, work so hard and end up with so little.....................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics