Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 05:06 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,793,275 times

Advertisements

I'm a 15% tipper, add 5% if service is great, deduct 5% if I run out of water, $10 for delivery, $5 for baggers, and two bucks for carry-out.

Honestly the people I tipped made great pay for the short amount of time I interacted with them.

But to heck with all that. From now on it's the amount of time that my service request took times 10.10.

I will do my best to get you your minimum wage, sure you would have done a lot better under the old system, but this is more fair, and it'll save me money so I can afford to pay more for all the other things that'll cost more when min wage eventually hits 10.10.

Oh, and I'll be sure to put that tip on my card so you have to claim it on your taxes, no more under reporting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 05:51 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,300,756 times
Great argument for stimulating consumer spending, so you may go to the front of the line. Pat yourself on the back while you wait.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:47 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,269,301 times
When was the last time you actually tipped a McD, Walmart, or grocery clerk worker? I've never tipped them and I don't know anybody that has.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:08 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,781,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
When was the last time you actually tipped a McD, Walmart, or grocery clerk worker? I've never tipped them and I don't know anybody that has.
The BurgerKing by me has started putting out the "tip jar" at the register... so some people are.

But I agree, I'm not one of the ones tipping them either.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:15 PM

459 posts, read 485,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
I'm a 15% tipper, add 5% if service is great, deduct 5% if I run out of water, $10 for delivery, $5 for baggers, and two bucks for carry-out.

Honestly the people I tipped made great pay for the short amount of time I interacted with them.

But to heck with all that. From now on it's the amount of time that my service request took times 10.10.

I will do my best to get you your minimum wage, sure you would have done a lot better under the old system, but this is more fair, and it'll save me money so I can afford to pay more for all the other things that'll cost more when min wage eventually hits 10.10.

Oh, and I'll be sure to put that tip on my card so you have to claim it on your taxes, no more under reporting
The point was supposed to be that everyone is worth AT LEAST $10.10. Hence, MINIMUM. Good to know you'd no longer think of going above and beyond and rewarding people above that...

Also, the inflationary impact of minimum wage increases is grossly overstated all over this forum. It would be "minimal" (ha. ha.). But seriously, minimum wage increases would only inflate the demand curve very slightly, thus providing those at the new minimum wage with a substantial, inflation-adjusted increase in spending power.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:20 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
I'm a 15% tipper, add 5% if service is great...
I go in expecting to tip no less than 15% on table service and 10% at the bar.
I'll bump that happily if/when service warrants it with the extra usually in cash too.
And I'll tip home delivery people though I almost never do that.

But I refuse in whole to tip any of those other counter help jobs.
None. Not a penny to any of them.

otoh... a charity box on the counter gets the coins every time.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:42 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,269,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I go in expecting to tip no less than 15% on table service and 10% at the bar.
I'll bump that happily if/when service warrants it with the extra usually in cash too.
And I'll tip home delivery people though I almost never do that.

But I refuse in whole to tip any of those other counter help jobs.
None. Not a penny to any of them.

otoh... a charity box on the counter gets the coins every time.
I treat bartenders the best. They remember me, are more generous with my drinks, give me faster service than they do for other patrons, and if there is ever a dispute with another customer they kick the other guy out.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:12 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,749,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhitegocubs View Post
The point was supposed to be that everyone is worth AT LEAST $10.10. Hence, MINIMUM. Good to know you'd no longer think of going above and beyond and rewarding people above that...

Also, the inflationary impact of minimum wage increases is grossly overstated all over this forum. It would be "minimal" (ha. ha.). But seriously, minimum wage increases would only inflate the demand curve very slightly, thus providing those at the new minimum wage with a substantial, inflation-adjusted increase in spending power.

I disagree.

When all the fast food workers get their $3 per hour raise, do you think the $10 an hour workers in other sectors are not goinng to be clamoring for a $3 wage increase also ?

If their job is currently worth $3 per hour more than a McDonalds employee today, won't all the $10 per hour workers going to feel their work is now worth $13?

Old 05-06-2014, 11:21 AM

459 posts, read 485,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
I disagree.

When all the fast food workers get their $3 per hour raise, do you think the $10 an hour workers in other sectors are not goinng to be clamoring for a $3 wage increase also ?

If their job is currently worth $3 per hour more than a McDonalds employee today, won't all the $10 per hour workers going to feel their work is now worth $13?
It doesn't matter if you disagree, there are decades of studies here and in other developed nations showing that the inflationary impact is minimal, even regarding large minimum wage increases. Moreover, while other people might "clamor", the problem is that low-wage workers have very little leverage. The people making $8 an hour have been clamoring for years and it wasn't until it reached the political realm that things started to change.

Yes, there will be a small accordion effect, where people making slightly above minimum wage will want a bit more and sometimes get it, but it tapers off the farther away from minimum wage they are.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:27 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,749,458 times
Hard to believe McDonalds can still sell burgers at the same price yet give their employees a 40% +..............wage increase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics