Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2014, 07:36 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I don't shop at Walmart because I prefer to shop for quality, not quantity. For example, I prefer to buy clothing and shoes that are well made and will last a long time. You will absolutely save money in the short-term by buying these items at Walmart, but they are cheaply made with cheap fabrics and they do wear out quicker if they don't fall apart altogether after a few washes. Also, if you hit the sales and clearance and use your points and coupons at places like Eddie Bauer and L.L. Bean and Lands End and the like you will often pay even less than what you would spend at Walmart, for much higher quality that will last you a very long time. I don't really care where something is made, but I do care about how it was made and the kind of quality.

Food is another example. You can shop your local CSA's and join local food coops and spend a lot less for locally grown organic food. Shop at Walmart and you'll actually spend more money for very inferior produce and especially lower quality meats and dairy. Plus you'll be more tempted to buy the prepackaged/frozen/artificial/unhealthy junk food type of stuff - which is not only expensive but also very bad for your health, which in turn costs you money due to health problems developed due to poor diet.

The only "better deal" I can really think of as far as shopping at Walmart and truly saving your money would be for prescription meds (if you require them) and electronics. They do offer good prices for meds as well as electronics. But so does CostCo, and CostCo treats their employees much MUCH better!
When was the last time you were in Walmart?

That's just not true. And it's so LIBERAL YUPPY to say how a negative is that people will be "TEMPTED" to buy the "wrong thing".

It's also NOT TRUE that Walmart sells only INFERIOR products. They carry the SAME ORGANIC HORIZON milk that Whole Foods and Fresh Market carries. PLUS Walmart carries it's own ORGANIC brand.

Not everybody has a CSA or "local coop" for goodness sakes.

My FLORIDA Walmart has excellent produce and it's difficult to find in FL. The bakery has more variety and it's the same stuff the Publix "bakery" carries. Is there a SERIOUS difference between Boars Head and Walmart's similar brand? I say not when you have 4 kids to make cheese sandwiches for, no. (I don't even buy lunchmeat and would carve down a real ham if I had kids to feed...just sayin - OH and I could buy the deli SLICER machine in WALMART LOL)

It's not all about CLOTHING. And you're referring to their proprietary STORE BRANDS. Target is just as bad if not worse.

Walmart carries REGULAR name brands like Carter, Champion, Jockey, White Stag etc. Affordable and quality if not super high end.

People on budgets are NOT going to buy "Lands End" for their children who outgrow the clothes in 9 months.

I don't FREQUENT Walmart because I prefer to just buy on Amazon and don't have time to negotiate the crowds. BUT if there were a hurricane and I needed to shop for "everything I might need" from food to clothing to auto or electrical or roofing supplies...you better believe I'd be in a Walmart FIRST and not even bother with ANY other stores.

And THAT is the beauty of the business model.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 04-05-2014 at 07:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 08:10 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,355 times
People generally shop where they feel they fit in best. I've shopped at all manner of stores in my life. From Wal-Mart, to K-Mart, Target, Costco and a hundred others. Each chain has a different "feel" to it. Some you walk into and you feel happy, energetic and good, some you walk into and you feel sad and heavy like you're in a funeral home or some such place. Many others you don't really better or worse then when you walked in, but just the same.

Years ago there was a Woolworth store I'd occasionally go into. The second I walked into that store I felt a very heavy and oppressive feeling come over me. It was unpleasant and so I didn't frequent that store anymore (this was over 25 years ago)

To me, among the large chain stores, Target has the best feel and I feel like I'm shopping alongside reasonably successful people like me who while looking for a good value, aren't shopping solely for the cheapest thing they can find, but rather the best value all the while realizing that the environment you're shopping in and how it makes you feel is also important.

I haven't been to a K-Mart in years, but I do recall the last few times I was in one, it was kind of like that heavy, oppressive, downtrodden feeling I previously described.

Wal-Mart, well the feeling there is that anything and everything goes among the customers and some of the employees too....lol. I do go there occasionally when necessary and convenient. It's not ususual to see people shopping in sweat pants or pajamas, hair askew, young kids with kool-aid stains ringing their mouth (aparantly the breakfast/lunch of champions for kids ???), and a disproportionate amount of morbidly obese people it seems like. The values can be good if you look carefully and selectively, but my mode is, get in and get out as quickly as possible, not a place I enjoy lingering and "just browsing".

Old 04-05-2014, 08:17 AM

670 posts, read 1,044,416 times
People generally shop where they can get the best deal. Also, most Wal-Marts these days are Super Wal-Marts, which eliminates several other stops at other stores. We have enough stops to make when we go out, if I can eliminate going to the hardware store and the drugstore by shopping at Wal-Mart...thank goodness.

I've learned to check out my own purchases so that I can get through the line quickly. I know some people who refuse to do that. If they choose to stand in line for 15+ minutes as an alternative, that is their business.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:24 AM

670 posts, read 1,044,416 times
Default Shopping at Wal-Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
People generally shop where they feel they fit in best. I've shopped at all manner of stores in my life. From Wal-Mart, to K-Mart, Target, Costco and a hundred others. Each chain has a different "feel" to it. Some you walk into and you feel happy, energetic and good, some you walk into and you feel sad and heavy like you're in a funeral home or some such place. Many others you don't really better or worse then when you walked in, but just the same.

Years ago there was a Woolworth store I'd occasionally go into. The second I walked into that store I felt a very heavy and oppressive feeling come over me. It was unpleasant and so I didn't frequent that store anymore (this was over 25 years ago)

To me, among the large chain stores, Target has the best feel and I feel like I'm shopping alongside reasonably successful people like me who while looking for a good value, aren't shopping solely for the cheapest thing they can find, but rather the best value all the while realizing that the environment you're shopping in and how it makes you feel is also important.

I haven't been to a K-Mart in years, but I do recall the last few times I was in one, it was kind of like that heavy, oppressive, downtrodden feeling I previously described.

Wal-Mart, well the feeling there is that anything and everything goes among the customers and some of the employees too....lol. I do go there occasionally when necessary and convenient. It's not ususual to see people shopping in sweat pants or pajamas, hair askew, young kids with kool-aid stains ringing their mouth (aparantly the breakfast/lunch of champions for kids ???), and a disproportionate amount of morbidly obese people it seems like. The values can be good if you look carefully and selectively, but my mode is, get in and get out as quickly as possible, not a place I enjoy lingering and "just browsing".
Strange feelings you have....Nobody can make you feel any particular way without your consent. People generally shop where they can get the best deal.

So go waste your money at Byerly's and Lunds ($$$) so that you can feel happy about it.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:27 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,143,927 times
There’s only one thing that is for certain, people in this country hate success which is what WalMart is. I know progressives just hate the idea. These are the same people that vomit on Google bus windsheilds.

Why is there always the assumption that one is buying clothes etc at WalMart. Well Windex is Windex, Mobil 1 is Mobil 1, and Comet is well Comet you get the idea.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:35 AM

24,500 posts, read 17,239,538 times
Walmart is a modern day dept. store and it is all about convenience. Where else can you get groceries for the week, oil for the car, a DVD for the kids, a birthday card and a hose for the garden? Oh yeah and save some money too?
I buy work jeans there for $15. They last for many months if not years. I have bought jeans that were 3 times as much elsewhere and guess what they don't last any longer so why?

Old 04-05-2014, 08:35 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,747,744 times
If their meat is so bad, why didn't they get sued for false advertisement when all those people praised their steak then found out it was from Walmart?

Old 04-05-2014, 08:36 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,905,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post

It's not all about CLOTHING. And you're referring to their proprietary STORE BRANDS. Target is just as bad if not worse.
The difference between Walmart and Target on their clothes is simple, when you manufacture for Target you are given a set of specifications and they check your product for compliance. When you manufacture for Walmart you might or might not receive a set of specifications. You send in some products, supposedly off of your 1st run and they send then into an outside testing agency. Generally when they get around to looking at them is after the season is over and all goods are shipped. Really a useless exercise.

Quote:
Walmart carries REGULAR name brands like Carter, Champion, Jockey, White Stag etc. Affordable and quality if not super high end.
Some of those mentioned are now Walmart brands and no other store will carry them. Those that are like Champion are certainly not the same style and make as found in sporting good stores. While they probably ran down the same production line as their higher end cousins, the material, design, and workmanship don't match. When dealing with a company that will throw you out in favor of another for a dime, every corner that can be cut will. Unless the product is simply awful no one at Walmart cares as it is a matter of price. Even on electronics ALWAYS check the model numbers, most of the time it has a slightly different number or a W in front or rear signifying it is going to Walmart.

Quote:
People on budgets are NOT going to buy "Lands End" for their children who outgrow the clothes in 9 months.
Lands End is now a Sears brand. Actually we do better, maybe not on kids clothes but adult sizes at the department stores when they have their year end closeouts.

Quote:
I don't FREQUENT Walmart because I prefer to just buy on Amazon and don't have time to negotiate the crowds. BUT if there were a hurricane and I needed to shop for "everything I might need" from food to clothing to auto or electrical or roofing supplies...you better believe I'd be in a Walmart FIRST and not even bother with ANY other stores.
And I agree 100% here, sadly we also shop at Walmart for general items like cleaning supplies and packaged foods. Even things like light bulbs are better bought at Lowes, Home Depot, etc as we have found they don't last as long.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:35 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
We keep seeing on this and other threads, how low he Walmart pay is and they are the worst in the country. Here are the salaries for a 10 of the biggest chains hiring the most workers in America. It is time you know the truth. Note some of these were for more than one name, but one ownership.

The 10 U.S. Companies with the Most Minimum Wage Workers | Economy

Note that Walmart cashiers/employees earn the same as at McDonald's, a little more than they do at KFC, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, Target, Kroger, Sears, K-Mart, Marshall's, TJ Max, Homegoods, Macy's, Starbucks. These are the 10 biggest retail businesses hiring the most employees in the U.S.

Retail including companies like Walmart, do not pay high wages. Walmart is right in there with the rest of them, as far as wages are concerned. It is not the worst.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:52 PM

836 posts, read 1,662,455 times
Sometimes I go to Walmart even if I don't need anything; I don't know why.

That said the service is so abysmal as to be non-existent; I guess that's the trade-off.

Kind of like Home Depot vs True Value/your local hardware. If I'm buying lumber etc I'll go to Home Depot for the lower price and selection; if I need help with a plumbing issue I'll go to local hardware because there is someone who knows what they're talking about and not a kid reading the box along with me.
Also how many times I'll be asked if I need help at hardware versus tons of employees socializing up front at the Depot but no one back in the aisle where I actually need help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics