Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2014, 12:12 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
How did this cause private universities to raise their tuition?

Reagan did impose higher fees and tuition on public universities in California, true. But that doesn't explain why they have raised their prices much faster than inflation for all these decades.

Actually, one reason for tuition inflation is that federal student loans are so easy to obtain that universities and colleges push the students to max out on borrowing, thus relieving themselves of the need to live on a budget. Unfortunately no one talks about what happens after you graduate (or drop out).
Actually, Ronald Reagan's signature is on my College Diploma. From 1992-2012 the tuition where I went in CA has nearly tripled, from $1,600-$4,600. When I attended under Reagan it was about $500.

Ronald Reagan Presidential Library, National Archives and Records Administration

Chart: The Cost of Tuition at UC, CSU Over the Years, Adjusted For Inflation | KQED News Fix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 02:58 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,941,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
The solution is obviously to abolish minimum wage so multinational corporations can move back to the USA and pay our citizens (and children) $3 / day.

All in the name of jobs, right?
What evidence do you have that they would offer $3/day?
What evidence do you have that anyone would take $3/day?
What evidence do you have that abolishing the minimum wage would even affect wages?

In reality, most companies do pay more than the minimum wage today. For example, Walmart Corp. employs 1.4 million Americans, out of whom about 7,000 make minimum wage.
(Walmart Employs 1% Of America. Should It Be Forced To Pay Its Employees More? - Business Insider and Walmart CEO Mike Duke Pushes Back Against Company's Minimum Wage Reputation)

The starting pay for fast food in the Boston area is $8-$10; they know they can't get people to work for the bare minimum wage.

Of course, the progressives will then shift the argument and say, "but they don't make a living wage!" OK, then let's define living wage: enough to live on, right? Suppose you're getting $9/hour ($18K/year). Certainly, it's not a lot of moulah, but you might supplement it with a part time job and bump your total income up to $25K/year. Lots of people do that.

If you are living with your spouse, your combined income should be around $40K to $50K which is enough to pay basic expenses and save a few thousand a year toward a downpayment on a house or condo. If you're single, you should have roommates or else live with your parents to maximize savings. The key thing is save, save, save.

It's doable. Immigrants come here every day and prove it. The trouble is, political entities and activists are dangling free money in front of people and they're taking the bait, just like stupid fish. Nothing's free in this world. Legislating higher pay for one group merely robs another group of its money. Borrowing money to pay for it all merely steals from our kids and grand kids who will be laboring their entire lives just to cover the interest.

We should stop the madness, and return to a balanced budget and a fair job market where you are paid what you're worth. There really is no other choice.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:25 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,342,749 times
I like math, math is fun. I went to school for electrical engineering so I'm cursed with it.

Anyways... Let's do some math shall we!

$9/hr at 40hrs = $18,720 /yr

Paycheck:
  1. Weekly Gross Pay $360.00
  2. Federal Withholding $38.78
  3. Social Security $22.32
  4. Medicare $5.22
  5. State $2.52

Total after taxes above equals $291.16/wk = $15,140.32/yr

Now let's talk expenses.

1. Rent: $650 - $700/mo (depending on what "poor" is in your area)
  2. Electric: $80
  3. Cell: $65
  4. Food: $50/week
  5. Water/Sewer/Trash $50 (depending on area)

Total = $1,045

These numbers above are shooting very low and you're already incredibly broke. The above leaves you with $119 for the month... That's $29/week of extra money IF you live in a terribly poor area.

So get a 2nd job or start looking for someone to help pay the expenses... because $9/hr won't get you anywhere!

Old 06-09-2014, 05:00 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,446,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
I like math, math is fun. I went to school for electrical engineering so I'm cursed with it.

Paycheck:
  4. Medicare $5.22
  5. State $2.52

Now let's talk expenses.

Total = $1,045

These numbers above are shooting very low and you're already incredibly broke. The above leaves you with $119 for the month... That's $29/week of extra money IF you live in a terribly poor area.

So get a 2nd job or start looking for someone to help pay the expenses... because $9/hr won't get you anywhere!
You left out gas and internet access

Old 06-09-2014, 06:14 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,941,631 times
Quote:

Paycheck:
  4. Medicare $5.22
  5. State $2.52

Now let's talk expenses.

Total = $1,045

That's a lot of rent. Get a third roommate. Also, $65 for a phone? Switch to Consumer Cellular and pay $10, and do your email and web surfing at the library. I've just saved you $150 or $200. Save your pennies like the immigrants do, and you'll have some savings after 2-3 years.

Trouble is, most kids learn nothing about living frugally, indeed are bombarded with ads exhorting them to spend, spend, spend.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:57 PM

26,192 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post

Poor folks in majority of the cases don't have internet at home

Old 06-09-2014, 07:21 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,446,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
That's a lot of rent. Get a third roommate. Also, $65 for a phone? Switch to Consumer Cellular and pay $10, and do your email and web surfing at the library. I've just saved you $150 or $200. Save your pennies like the immigrants do, and you'll have some savings after 2-3 years.

Trouble is, most kids learn nothing about living frugally, indeed are bombarded with ads exhorting them to spend, spend, spend.
Stop with the "switch to cheap but useless cellular service" posts. You need good phone service in the modern world.

No that's not a lot for rent. In any city or suburb (where jobs are), you'll pay at least $800/month for a 1 bedroom or studio. If you get a 2 bedroom or 3 bedroom with roommates you'll spend about the same.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Stop with the "switch to cheap but useless cellular service" posts. You need good phone service in the modern world.

No that's not a lot for rent. In any city or suburb (where jobs are), you'll pay at least $800/month for a 1 bedroom or studio. If you get a 2 bedroom or 3 bedroom with roommates you'll spend about the same.
What good service? It's not like these unknown cell companies use their own little tower of networks, they usually piggyback one the large carriers towers

Currently there are 26 houses for lease 3/1 for 800.00 or less, 25 houses 2/1 for 600.00 or less, 23 1/1 500.00 or under. That's not looking at apartments so I'd guess I could find many more. If I was poor I'd probably not go for the 800.00. This is for the Houston market

Old 06-09-2014, 08:55 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,342,749 times
Quote:
haha, can't live without those!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
What good service? It's not like these unknown cell companies use their own little tower of networks, they usually piggyback one the large carriers towers

Currently there are 26 houses for lease 3/1 for 800.00 or less, 25 houses 2/1 for 600.00 or less, 23 1/1 500.00 or under. That's not looking at apartments so I'd guess I could find many more. If I was poor I'd probably not go for the 800.00. This is for the Houston market
I've never "leased" a home but I'm willing to bet a large deposit would be required as well as some sort of credit involved... Neither of which is easily attainable for someone who is poor.

Not too many places you'll find with numbers you're quoting in most of the states. I live in Florida and **** is super cheap here, but I grew up in CT where you couldn't find a closet for under $600 let alone a studio.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
haha, can't live without those!

I've never "leased" a home but I'm willing to bet a large deposit would be required as well as some sort of credit involved... Neither of which is easily attainable for someone who is poor.

Not too many places you'll find with numbers you're quoting in most of the states. I live in Florida and **** is super cheap here, but I grew up in CT where you couldn't find a closet for under $600 let alone a studio.

It usually comes with a month or two down and credit. Really not much different than an apartment however apartments can be had even cheaper than what I posted for housing.

The person I quoted said any city/suburb where jobs are you'd pay 800 for a one bedroom and that's simply not true. Can you find cheaper in every city ? Nope but plenty of places would have a one bedroom under 800.00 and a lot of them well under
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics