Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 01:50 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times

Advertisements

What would the US look like if the avg age someone moved out on their own and started a family was 30 years old?

It certainly would be a damper to economic activity if said kids weren't consuming to their full potential, however if you were able to build a strong financial footing, figure out who you were, what you wanted to do before moving out, getting married and having kids. What would it look like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 01:52 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
But many of them returned from places where there are supposed to be jobs. But there were high rents. Many of these kids didn't major in something marketable, and they are irrelevant to the high paying jobs in these places.
what places? what did these kids major in? how many majored in those non-marketable majors? Do you have any real data?

Old 06-25-2014, 01:57 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,737,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The rest of the world has multigenerational households.
It used to be the same here.

I am not freaking out about this.
You are 100% correct. Families have been moving in together for awhile, but I know a lot of people that simply do not get along with their families for whatever reason.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:06 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
yeah. have more people in fewer houses is hardly a major issue. I grew up in a house with my parents and my grandmother lived in an attached apartment. my sister graduated college in 2008 and lived with my parents for a year. i live in NJ and know 35-40 yr olds who live in their parents' basements.

who cares?

It certainly has become a negative social stigma to be a 30-40 something living with your parents

Old 06-25-2014, 03:02 PM

589 posts, read 696,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
You are 100% correct. Families have been moving in together for awhile, but I know a lot of people that simply do not get along with their families for whatever reason.
That's true and I'm one of them. I love my family, I really do, but I could not stand living with them for the rest of my life. A house filled with both my parents and my kids would be nightmare.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:10 PM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
This. The Boomers are showing how egotistical and out of touch they are once more by acting as if it was normal for the kid to move out, have a house, be married, and have a nice job at 18.
But maybe by FORTY.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:31 PM

9,865 posts, read 7,736,569 times
We bought out house six years ago with this in mind - it has 7 bedrooms. We have 5 grown kids (4 married, 2 with kids) and so far 2 have moved in and out during rough patches. We also wanted room for our parents, just in case.

It's not a great economy. Many in our family have been laid off or their employers have gone out of business. I'd rather have them regroup and save more money faster for a restart with us.

Our rule is they have to be working somewhere or they work for us. Haven't had to charge rent yet but if we did, we would probably save it and give it back to them as a surprise when they move out.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:59 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Or just charge rent. I always paid rent when I was living with my mom. ... Even in my mom's case where she really didn't need it at all, it would have felt weird just living there for free.
My elderly mom now lives in a house I own in an age restricted community (my father passed away 40 years ago). Should I charge her rent?

Old 06-25-2014, 04:00 PM

8,047 posts, read 10,638,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Easier said than done, but parents should agree to let the kid come back with a deadline for getting back out on their own, so it's a safety net rather than a crutch. Some household rules will help motivate them to work hard toward meeting that goal.
I don't understand this line of thinking, as though kids just love living with their parents. Most young people, including mine and young people I work with would lOVE to get out of their parent's homes and live in their own place if they could. I just don't think that many are happy and content living at home, it's an inability to afford all that goes with being independent these days that is the problem in MOST cases.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:23 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
What would the US look like if the avg age someone moved out on their own and started a family was 30 years old?

It certainly would be a damper to economic activity if said kids weren't consuming to their full potential, however if you were able to build a strong financial footing, figure out who you were, what you wanted to do before moving out, getting married and having kids. What would it look like?
Hell, you could probably knock 5% of my tax rate because of all the welfare parents I wouldn't be supporting. By 30, a lot more people who be financially able to have a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics