Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 01:55 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,794,661 times

Advertisements

Americans Face Post-Foreclosure Hell As Wages Garnished And Assets Seized - Business Insider

When will people learn that they must pay what they owe. If you signed a contract with an agreement to pay then you owe that amount. I am against this whole shrugging your shoulders and walking off from your debts. Make the people pay...whenever and whatever they can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 02:29 PM

5,209 posts, read 4,674,581 times
The flogging will continue until morale improves.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:37 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,975,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Americans Face Post-Foreclosure Hell As Wages Garnished And Assets Seized - Business Insider

When will people learn that they must pay what they owe. If you signed a contract with an agreement to pay then you owe that amount. I am against this whole shrugging your shoulders and walking off from your debts. Make the people pay...whenever and whatever they can.
Heh, I have a more mixed view. As much as I applaud them going after people who willingly just walked away from debts they could have paid back on the one hand...these banks were very greedy and knew what they were doing on the other.

So overall, I kind of think it's one evil vs. another.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:39 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,448,074 times
Some people can't seem to resist living beyond their means.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:57 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Some people can't seem to resist living beyond their means.

Lenders are expected to perform due diligence when lending money; historically they were very good at ensuring applicants were living within their means before money changed hands.

One could argue that irrational exuberance led lenders to over extend themselves and many borrowers as well.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:29 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,167,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Lenders are expected to perform due diligence when lending money; historically they were very good at ensuring applicants were living within their means before money changed hands.

One could argue that irrational exuberance led lenders to over extend themselves and many borrowers as well.
And in cases where the loan documents were forged, I'd be opposed to deficiency judgments. Those really are pretty few, but they certainly exist. If you put down you own a landscaping company and make $40,000/yr and then suddenly you're a contractor making $90,000 on a document with your signature forged on it (happens)... yeah.

That's not the majority of cases though. Most buyers walked in with their eyes open. Several states are non-recourse for mortgages (California among them) but the majority are recourse states. I don't know why this is surprising.

Last edited by Malloric; 10-16-2014 at 03:50 PM..

Old 10-16-2014, 03:41 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Bankruptcy laws were created to protect businessmen from their own follies. The rest of us were expected to pay all of our debts no matter how onerous.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:43 PM

26,192 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Bankruptcy laws were created to protect businessmen from their own follies. The rest of us were expected to pay all of our debts no matter how onerous.
Actually personal bankruptcy would resolve the deficiency judgement for individuals too

Old 10-16-2014, 04:30 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,448,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post

Yes, lenders became too eager to lend to those who couldn't afford to borrow and didn't have sense enough not to do so. I am thankful to be able to say I have never lived beyond my means and often have lived below those means because I didn't need to keep up with anyone else. I have no need for my wants and desires to be fulfilled immediately. I can wait. I prefer having money in the bank to owning something I bought on credit.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:47 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,846,004 times
I want to say good,because you won't believe the amount of people who just walk away,but those same people do not understand we all pay for it in the end.

John Mccain had a plan to buy up all the bad mortgages during the debates in 2008.

That would not have been fair to us that never had mortgages we could not afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics