Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2010, 02:12 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,696,021 times

Advertisements

I have known a lot of people that have never seen black people in their lives. So based on the TV movies or TV shows they think that all Black people steal. Why don't they meet black people first and then judge them?

Also, why people from South America or other spanish speaking countries think because a person is White it means that that person have to have a lot of money or is rich? Not all White people are rich.

The other thing that gets me vexed is that I hear people would say all Jewish people do not take showers, so they stink. Just because a person of an ethnic background or from a culture stinks does not means that the people from the same culture has a horrible smell.

Can somebody explain this for me? Any inputs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 03:09 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I have known a lot of people that have never seen black people in their lives. So based on the TV movies or TV shows they think that all Black people steal. Why don't they meet black people first and then judge them?

Also, why people from South America or other spanish speaking countries think because a person is White it means that that person have to have a lot of money or is rich? Not all White people are rich.

The other thing that gets me vexed is that I hear people would say all Jewish people do not take showers, so they stink. Just because a person of an ethnic background or from a culture stinks does not means that the people from the same culture has a horrible smell.

What's interesting is why do people that know blacks that aren't ghetto still think all blacks are ghetto?

Old 01-29-2010, 05:49 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,548,187 times
Well on the South American one lighter-skinned people often were more aristocratic. Also the images we give even of "poor white people" would look wealthy to many in South America. Heck I remember watching "Grace Under Fire" and thinking she really had a pretty nice house with a decent lawn considering she was a single Mom with three kids and a deadbeat ex-husband. (Years later I discovered that people in oil refineries actually can make a pretty good living. It's not a high-education job, but I think the risks and such can make it high paying. Still they generally acted like she was poor) A show like "Friends" where even waitresses are beautiful women who have nice apartments and date sophisticated men is even more that way.

I've even heard of urban blacks who are surprised/shocked to discover how truly poor and dysfunctional some white families can get. My sister was once married to a guy whose Mom was a prostitute that taught him to steal and who later ended up selling stuff to gang members. He wasn't from Appalachia or something either, but was instead from Western or Central Kansas. I remember a black person online telling me he was initially shocked to hear stories like that. He had sort-of gotten the media image that whites are all two-parent families and if they're poor it's maybe like "The Waltons" where no one is hungry and the family is supportive. At least that it's not like "I'm poor because my Mom's an addict and my Dad was some guy she turned tricks for so she could buy more drugs."

Old 01-29-2010, 10:59 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,565,445 times
Quote:
Probably because they haven't had the opportunity...and let's face it it's hard to have only one source of info and not have that info influence you.

Quote:
I know people from Mexico that don't think all white people were rich.
Question your assumptions.

Quote:
I've heard that some black people think white people smell like baloney. Ha Ha Ha. I wish I smelled like baloney. Mmmmm ba-lone-y. Gaaaahahhhh....

Spoiler

WARNING: ADULT CONTENT! NOT WORK/KID SAFE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dk-HLqdWNc

But coming back to reality for a second, people ridicule what they fear
...and fear what they don't understand. Blah blah blah. It's a self fulfilling prophecy.

Old as dirt.
Probably served some evolutionary purpose.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:03 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,356,662 times
Quote:

In all honesty, I think once you see what the world offers outside of NYC and Hampton Roads, all of these questions will be answered in short order.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:06 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,565,445 times
Seeing what the world offers outside NYC and Hampton Roads could take a lifetime though...that's a lot of world to cover.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:15 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,356,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
Seeing what the world offers outside NYC and Hampton Roads could take a lifetime though...that's a lot of world to cover.

Very true!

This particular poster though seems to have a very limited view of the world.

As in, everything seems to be based on a VERY narrow NYC-centric view of everything, including the region he currently resides in.

I have seen him state he is actually scared to venture into what he considers the "real" South.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:30 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,548,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
I know people from Mexico that don't think all white people were rich.
Question your assumptions.
It is true though that many people in the Third World think of white Americans as rich. I think this is probably more true the further you get from the US. So maybe more true in Bolivia or Peru, but not so true of Mexico.

To some degree I think white Americans are rich compared to an average Peruvian. However I think the other thing is that white Americans who travel to say Peru or Bolivia are often probably richer than average white Americans. Or they're college kids or charity workers on official trips, but even then that might be richer than average.

When I see a European in my area I tend to think they are likely rich. This is not because I think Europeans are all rich people. It's more that the Europeans I see tend to be richer people because average Europeans I don't think are that interested in coming to non-tourist parts of rural America. Europeans we see are often here on business or are touring the whole country or whatever. Exceptions might be like when they come because they married an American soldier or when they're an Eastern European type "mail order bride." So if you're living in Sucre or Cuzco or even Tegucigalpa and you see a white American driving down the road I can see thinking "s/he must have money" or at least "s/he must have money compared to me."

Old 01-30-2010, 06:16 AM

12,954 posts, read 13,667,161 times
Those attitudes are handed down to people by their parents to protect them. South Americans may not know how cheap some items are in the US. When I was in South America I paid $15.00 for a CD, same price I would pay here but $15.00 American is a lot of money in South America. So they would of thought I was rich to spend so much money on something so frivolous.

As for as what people say about Jews, they may not know what "Sitting Shiva" is and the rituals that traditionally go with it , one being not to be concerned with your personal appearance.

As far as blacks stealing ,Frederick Douglas said while in a desperate situation "begging, borrowing and stealing are all equal." I live in a area that is mostly white and personal property theft is much higher than the National average, over two thirds of children are on free or reduced lunch.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:41 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,696,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
In all honesty, I think once you see what the world offers outside of NYC and Hampton Roads, all of these questions will be answered in short order.
I am well-traveled for your information. I have travelled to Canada, to other states, to many parts of the islands..

Last edited by nycricanpapi; 01-30-2010 at 06:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.