Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 01:30 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,230,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
...and 100% of American Workers are being paid the market value of their labor. Any who wish to be paid more have a variety of means to become more valuable to the rest of society.
this may sound good by the writer in their concept of expression, but reality is, this country among the wealthy and industrialist have reduced the income level of many, and this extend to both professions and skilled labor.

We need a political system, that is not bought out by lobbyist, which ultimately has usurped democracy, and your voice and vote is bought away by the lobbyist who has the biggest check to hand out.
We have politicians who enter office with limited accumulated wealth, by the time they leave office they are millionaires many times over. Yet, we pretend to be blind and we have such wide spread apathy until we act as if we don't see it.

We have a lusting for anyone who has wealthy, until we support them for having wealth, without considering many of the masses whom have suffered many losses for this wealthy to move into the hands of a few.

We watch CEO pay themselves, by being Chairman of the Board, CEO and some even claim company President, and they set up to award themselves MILLIONS of shares of stock and 10's of million of dollars.
To support this process, they lay off thousands, outsource anything, and set up and design the demise of the company, so they can ultimately Cash Out and wash their hands of the greed gouging they have engaged.
They set up companies to borrow against FAKE Stock Value, then they over leverage the company, over expand, and construct a process for the ultimate demise or sale of the company.

We allow this to be trained into the graduates who come out with a near worship like mentality of these constructive programmed criminals. They are technically, TREASONOUS AGAINST THE AMERICA PEOPLE AND THE ECONOMIC VIABILITY OF CITIZENS AND THE NATION AS A WHOLE.

We have a mass of society is not yet aware enough to grasp the big picture, therefore they remain silent and many choose not to have interest to learn and know. They think Apathy will exclude them from the necessity to have a sense of responsibility to speak up, choose a voice and join a platform to force change of this systematic destruction of American's Economy and the systems of this nation.

We've chosen blindness, the same as did many Romans, who refused to believe that Rome had fallen, some resided in lands and thought they were still Romans, and only time evolved to show them, that Rome had long lost control of those lands. By the time they became aware to face truth, it was too late, and forever the empire of Rome is no more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 01:32 PM

21,886 posts, read 25,195,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
If you are going to make up your own definition to support the claim there's not much else I can say. In low cola a family of four does not need 65k in annual income to meet their needs
No. They also don't need $50k. But the thread started out talking about supporting a middle-class lifestyle. A middle-class lifestyle doesn't have anything in particular to do with needs. It's about AJs and $200 jeans and iPhones. That's what makes a middle-class lifestyle a middle-class lifestyle, having a big excess of money such that you can waste it on things, take vacations without saving up for them for years, that kind of thing. That's just what a middle-class lifestyle is.

If you want to talk about needs, I think MIT's living wage calculator does a pretty good job. Just taking Owensboro, KT, since I have family that lives around there and it's cheap, living wage is $17.17. That's for one person working 2080 hours a year. Comes out at $35k.

So you say $50k, he says $65k to support a middle-class lifestyle. So what? Different definitions of middle-class lifestyle. So he thinks you need twice as much income for hedonistic reasons to be considered middle-class than you do in a low cola area is all.

Old 10-26-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
...and 100% of American Workers are being paid the market value of their labor. Any who wish to be paid more have a variety of means to become more valuable to the rest of society.
It's actually about 97% or whatever since some people do make an artificially set minimum wage.

Old 10-26-2014, 01:41 PM

610 posts, read 699,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Let's keep the borders open and let in another 10-20 Million. Maybe we can then get that 50% up to 70%.
Even though every period of enormous immigration in this country's history coincidentally happened to be the periods of largest economic growth.

This whole "immigration ruins the economy" thing is played out and has been proven fallacious by anyone with even a 1st grade level of economic understanding time and time again.

Old 10-26-2014, 01:50 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,621,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
No. They also don't need $50k. But the thread started out talking about supporting a middle-class lifestyle. A middle-class lifestyle doesn't have anything in particular to do with needs. It's about AJs and $200 jeans and iPhones. That's what makes a middle-class lifestyle a middle-class lifestyle, having a big excess of money such that you can waste it on things, take vacations without saving up for them for years, that kind of thing. That's just what a middle-class lifestyle is.

If you want to talk about needs, I think MIT's living wage calculator does a pretty good job. Just taking Owensboro, KT, since I have family that lives around there and it's cheap, living wage is $17.17. That's for one person working 2080 hours a year. Comes out at $35k.

So you say $50k, he says $65k to support a middle-class lifestyle. So what? Different definitions of middle-class lifestyle. So he thinks you need twice as much income for hedonistic reasons to be considered middle-class than you do in a low cola area is all.

I never said it took 50k to support a family of four.

Old 10-26-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I never said it took 50k to support a family of four.
Fair. So what would you say would be necessary to support a middle-class lifestyle? We're not talking about necessities. We're talking about supporting a middle-class lifestyle. $50k to me seems about right as a minimum, certainly higher in high COLAs.

Old 10-26-2014, 02:11 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,621,745 times
Quote:
Fair. So what would you say would be necessary to support a middle-class lifestyle? We're not talking about necessities. We're talking about supporting a middle-class lifestyle. $50k to me seems about right as a minimum, certainly higher in high COLAs.

It's highly dependent on cola so it really can be a blanket statement. Mississippi for instance median HH income is 38k +/- I wouldn't add much to get that to middle class.

Old 10-26-2014, 02:30 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,489,115 times
Quote:
Sure they do.

Everyone needs 300 TV channels these days, can't be expected to wear the same two pairs of Levi's you've been wearing for the last three years that you bought on sale as you'd look like you were poor so you gotta spend $200-300 on jeans, $150/pair to get the kids some AJs, iphones for the fam. You know, needs.

I want my MTV, but I don't need my MTV.

Old 10-26-2014, 02:30 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,882,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
That's disgusting! The top 10% have made sure they can have their,yachts, 3 or 4 beach homes, while their employees struggle to make ends meet. Once greed took over in this country back in the 80's it's been downhill for the majority of Americans ever since.
Top 10% ???? Yeah, right.

Sounds like a great incentive for the bottom 90% to, you know, make more money.

Old 10-26-2014, 02:37 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,489,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Either this site named the "The Economic Collapse" is lying or they are counting every child and retiree into their calculations. Check out the median (meaning half make more and half make less) and even in the poorest state (Mississippi) the median hourly wage is $13.67 and it's over $19 an hour in my state (Washington). Don't fall prey to liars and manipulators unless you don't mind being lied to and manipulated...I do mind.

Median and mean WAGES are considerably lower than median or mean INCOME because a lot of people have non-wage income greater than or in addition to median or average wage income.

e.g. business owners non-wage income usually greater than the wages paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics