Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 09:22 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,055,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Elected officials like your township assessor friend aren't members of unions.
That's true, but my main point is that public employees are overpaid and over compensated for the little work they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 09:29 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,231,072 times
sure, if you want to see GM, Ford, and Chrysler fail, encourage all union growth by all means. From plastic fasteners to metal rivets. Have at it.

It's what got us to where we are and the unions pointing fingers at other guys for moving jobs offshore. Even in their death throes, the unions never realized they were their own worst enemy. As the other writer points out, they won the battle and lost the war.

Now, it's too late. Case in point. In 1990, 6.2 cars out of 10 rolling down the American roads was a GM product. Today, 24 years later? Less than 21%. 2.1 out of 10. That's not a trend. That's a tradition.

They turned their companies into pension companies that make cars part-time. It failed. Miserably. I only buy Toyotas and have been doing so FAITHFULLY since 1992. I won't go back. They are unfortunately assembled here but, the parts are made overseas. That's where the wealth is, the conversion of the raw materials. The robots and folks who work on the robots do the rest....I can live with that.

GM, Ford, and Chrysler killed themselves. No one else did it for them and I doubt anyone would bail them out again. It's put up or shut up this time and the problems keep coming off their lines with the massive recalls we have seen as of late. They just can't make quality a top priority. Charge $500 more per unit but, for god's sake, make it last as long as a Toyota....oh wait, that's not what they do.

Never mind....

Old 11-24-2014, 10:39 AM

3,875 posts, read 3,871,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
Do you think labor unions will emerge stronger in America in the foreseeable future?

Whether its public Union or private Union.
NO, the Teamsters and other Unions support amnesty and illegal aliens.

Illegal aliens will undercut each other AND ANY and ALL others making them the greatest scabs in existence.

In essence Unions have supported their own demise.

In regards to public Unions, they shouldn't exist.

People that make their money of other's taxes in the public sector shouldn't be able to unionize.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:45 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
It depends on what you mean by "stronger." Also, it's interesting that you're including public sector unions, which will continue to grow as public sector jobs increase. That will happen as those jobs continue to grow, especially with programs such as those that "forgive" student loan debt after a certain number of years' public employment. Many will never leave those jobs once they realize how generous the pensions are. In other words, prepare for public sector unions to expand their influence.

As for the private sector, it's pretty much "adios." We don't manufacture much here anymore and, where we do, unions aren't needed. They've pretty much been relegated to the service industries...which is another reason the union honchos are licking their chops over the prospect of representing Walmart employees.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:47 AM

3,875 posts, read 3,871,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentGrad1 View Post
Unions had their time and place back in the day. Nowadays they hurt workers more than help them.
Some do, some don't.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:55 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,497,818 times
Unions became a greedy bunch by using force and thought
they had the corporations under their power and control by striking.

Corporations are made up of people who got their heads together
to break the unions back in the 1960's

They still know how to keep unions out.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:21 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,345,991 times
I certainly hope labor organizes in some form.
It is not good for America for a few to siphon off and not give back.
I do not see a return to the powerful unions of the 50's but, collective bargaining is being forced upon us because companies like walmart will only pay the absolute minimum they have to. The only way to sustain a working class is to demand higher wages and we all know the middle class drives the economy.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:33 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,497,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
The only way to sustain a working class is to demand higher wages and we all know the middle class drives the economy.
Demanding higher wages is what caused corporations to leave America.

Americans need to learn how to live according their
affordable means and not the wants.

Millions do ! ! !

Old 11-24-2014, 11:37 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
I certainly hope labor organizes in some form.
It is not good for America for a few to siphon off and not give back.
I do not see a return to the powerful unions of the 50's but, collective bargaining is being forced upon us because companies like walmart will only pay the absolute minimum they have to.
Union retailers don't necessarily pay more.

Here in Pittsburgh, our unionized supermarket chain, Giant Eagle, pays less than their non-union competition Aldi, Walmart, Bottom Dollar, Trader Joe's.

30 years ago, I worked briefly for another local, unionized grocery store here, earned 15 cents more than the minimum wage, had to pay $5 a week to the union, net was less than minimum wage with no union.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:47 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,345,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
Demanding higher wages is what caused corporations to leave America.

Corporations left America to increase profit margin. Union wages were labeled as the prime reason.
If you look at CEO compensation it paints a different picture. They've continued to take so much there was none left for the workers.

It's all perfectly legal, just like it's perfectly legal to boycott those same stores/companies.
I prefer to always buy from companies that pay a decent wage. I think those are the ones that are GOOD for America.

All walmart, and those like it, did is empower China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics