Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 11:03 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Kids can't work their way through college nowadays because college is too expensive! We've seen double digit inflation in college prices for years.
As far as going to a 2yr college before transferring to a 4yr college, that's a good idea. But that strategy was unheard of when I was in college 20 years ago.

I think it's really unfair to pin the situation on young adults, who had no control over prices going through the roof.
Of course they can work and many do! That doesn't mean working through college will cover 100% of expenses, but it's certainly a very smart way to keep debt to a minimum.

I think the 2 year community college is more common in some states than others. When we were in California, a majority of the student went straight to community college after high school.

We have a dozen recent college graduates in our family. The most successful not only worked through school, but also volunteered and took leadership positions in campus organizations. When interview time came around, they had great references and work/leadership experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 11:28 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Of course they can work and many do! That doesn't mean working through college will cover 100% of expenses, but it's certainly a very smart way to keep debt to a minimum.

I think the 2 year community college is more common in some states than others. When we were in California, a majority of the student went straight to community college after high school.

We have a dozen recent college graduates in our family. The most successful not only worked through school, but also volunteered and took leadership positions in campus organizations. When interview time came around, they had great references and work/leadership experience.
The problem is that excessive work hours while doing school full-time tend to cause a lack of sleep and subsequent degradation of performance. I don't agree with the view that college kids should be expected to support themselves, because study after study has shown that a lack of sleep is linked to a loss of mental agility, and increased odds of a number of health problems.

We should be teaching our young folks to take good care of their health, not abuse it. People who get in the habit of abusing their body early in life will drive up future health care costs and misery.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:28 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post

You see it's a fine distinction. I said that "kids can't work their way through college."
I didn't say "kids can't work while in college."

Strawman argument at its finest.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:52 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,976,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
The problem is that excessive work hours while doing school full-time tend to cause a lack of sleep and subsequent degradation of performance. I don't agree with the view that college kids should be expected to support themselves, because study after study has shown that a lack of sleep is linked to a loss of mental agility, and increased odds of a number of health problems.

We should be teaching our young folks to take good care of their health, not abuse it. People who get in the habit of abusing their body early in life will drive up future health care costs and misery.
There are 24 hours in a day. If a person sleeps 8 hours then they have 16 hours to be productive. It's all about priorities, being organized, and time management.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:53 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
There are 24 hours in a day. If a person sleeps 8 hours then they 16 hours to be productive. It's all about priorities, being organized, and time management.
Even if true, it doesn't change the fact that college education expenses have skyrocketed relative to inflation.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Even if true, it doesn't change the fact that college education expenses have skyrocketed relative to inflation.
How many young adults finish college with a degree compared to the number that start college after high school? I know you have first hand knowledge of the situation, and is it safe to say that the majority of students that are in default on their student loans are those who never finished college? I'm not even going to mention the number of students that scam the system by enrolling at a JC and never showing up for class or turning in assignments then choosing to take an incomplete in the class.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
There are 24 hours in a day. If a person sleeps 8 hours then they have 16 hours to be productive. It's all about priorities, being organized, and time management.
There are other things one has to do in a day too, so it's not as though ALL 16 hours are available for work or school. Some time must also be reserved for incidentals and finals.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
How many young adults finish college with a degree compared to the number that start college after high school? I know you have first hand knowledge of the situation, and is it safe to say that the majority of students that are in default on their student loans are those who never finished college? I'm not even going to mention the number of students that scam the system by enrolling at a JC and never showing up for class or turning in assignments then choosing to take an incomplete in the class.
So you want to deprive honest, hardworking young people of a chance simply because a few bad apples abuse the system?

That's like saying we should ban all knives because a few people commit suicide or cut themselves using knives.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
So you want to deprive honest, hardworking young people of a chance simply because a few bad apples abuse the system?

That's like saying we should ban all knives because a few people commit suicide or cut themselves using knives.
Are you referring to a chance to be productive, responsible, organized, efficient users of their time, of course not. Ncole, now be honest with yourself, deep down in your heart you truly know it's more than a few bad apples. If they only did what they promised to do then we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Isn't that true?

Old 01-10-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
There are other things one has to do in a day too, so it's not as though ALL 16 hours are available for work or school. Some time must also be reserved for incidentals and finals.
Ncole,

There are 168 hours in a week. If 56 are spent sleeping, and at the university level there should be 3 hours of homework for each hour of classwork, so that's 60 hours of school, that is a total of 116 hours in the week or 16.5 hours a day sleeping and performing school related activities. You still have 52 hours a week of discretionary time or 7.42 hours a day. That's a lot of incidentals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics