Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 07:11 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,601,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
Why should debt be an acceptable way of life? People who are in debt are indentured servants to the banks.
I never said debt should be an acceptable way of life anywhere in this thread. I am simply arguing that the "Misery Index" is either a flawed metric or a useless one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
I could be wrong, but shouldn't life choices support a person's sense of responsibility, self-sufficiency, and self-esteem? Which life choices do you think a person would want to make?
Yes, but this doesn't amount to a rebuttal of my objections to the "Misery Index".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 11:10 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,255,625 times
In high school we should teach kids to start their own business so they can survive without a job. As jobs become obsolete we do a huge disservice to our kids by pretending they just need to prepare for jobs and spend their time after graduation trying to get one. Our blindness makes them blind, and leaves them sitting ducks to misfortune. Only the brightest can see reality through all the illusion and misunderstanding. You have to see reality to take advantage of it. It gives them a bright future if they see it clearly.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:27 AM

17,403 posts, read 11,986,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
1) Student loan debt is easier to collect than non-student consumer debt, e.g. studennt loan debtors can have wages garnished without going through court

2) Student loan debt is generally not dischargeable through bankruptcy while non-student consumer debt is easy to discharge through bankruptcy.
Maybe it should have read that student debt and personal debt have equal economic drag on those that intend to pay. For the scofflaws, who think paying back a loan is optional, a debt that is subject to being taken through wage garnishment, would be a drag.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:34 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,400,602 times
LOL...Breitbart.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:38 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,171,772 times
Is it corrected for inflation? I am guessing we will see a rise in student loan debt at least inline with inflation for the foreseeable future.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:38 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,933,408 times
If you remember back Obama was encouraging kids to go to school and be in debt to the government . Any adult with brains could see that.
Acquiring a debt with the idea of cheating it is wrong . Liberals deserve to be in chains. they voted for the bum in office without research nor considering the consequences.
Most people I knew growing up did not use the education they got for a living , they ended up doing something else.
I've never had collage and am retired now and doing well . many of my friends are gone, higher education did not make them happy nor extend their life much , if any thing shortened it. Stress .
You young people have nothing invested in your education and change your mind mid term again and again and have no idea what your going to do.
STOP WASTING TIME AND MONEY AND GO TO WORK AND FIGURE OUT WHO YOU ARE ,, then advance your knowledge in that area of expertise .
PROBLEM your government is driving business out of our country along with the jobs. don't listen to the lies coming from the white house.
Most folk that were barely surviving on one job to make a living now need 3 jobs . ACA has some to do with it but environmentalists are the biggest hypocrites driving business out but smaller countries that make products we need and they use, are being made there not here because of environmental issues the do not control there. They are crippling your country . Your future.
Agenda 21 is in full motion and deeply rooted, but I seriously doubt that any young people are join got do any thing about it.
It has every thing to do with indemnifying the masses and bringing communism /marxism here .

Old 01-07-2015, 09:44 AM

2,236 posts, read 2,978,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
If you remember back Obama was encouraging kids to go to school and be in debt to the government . Any adult with brains could see that.
Acquiring a debt with the idea of cheating it is wrong . Liberals deserve to be in chains. they voted for the bum in office without research nor considering the consequences.
Most people I knew growing up did not use the education they got for a living , they ended up doing something else.
I've never had collage and am retired now and doing well . many of my friends are gone, higher education did not make them happy nor extend their life much , if any thing shortened it. Stress .
You young people have nothing invested in your education and change your mind mid term again and again and have no idea what your going to do.
STOP WASTING TIME AND MONEY AND GO TO WORK AND FIGURE OUT WHO YOU ARE ,, then advance your knowledge in that area of expertise .
PROBLEM your government is driving business out of our country along with the jobs. don't listen to the lies coming from the white house.
Most folk that were barely surviving on one job to make a living now need 3 jobs . ACA has some to do with it but environmentalists are the biggest hypocrites driving business out but smaller countries that make products we need and they use, are being made there not here because of environmental issues the do not control there. They are crippling your country . Your future.
Agenda 21 is in full motion and deeply rooted, but I seriously doubt that any young people are join got do any thing about it.
It has every thing to do with indemnifying the masses and bringing communism /marxism here .
Well said...Young adults just don't get it ever since they've taken history out of classrooms and dumbed down the curriculum and the qualifications to enter college. Even if they go to college, they don't come out with the necessary skill sets to find a job that provides a living wage. What a waste of taxpayer's money. Then they cry to the Mommy state to take care of them and forgive their loans. What a bunch of loosers. The article should have focused on taxpayer's misery.

Last edited by eccotecc; 01-07-2015 at 09:53 AM..

Old 01-07-2015, 10:48 AM

2 posts, read 1,799 times
many are going to be hobos.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:29 PM

8,086 posts, read 7,457,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Hmmm, if you read all the posts by those young people struggling with student loan debt and no job, they are blaming the big corporations for their woes. This data in effect means more democrat voters, since they are blaming the Republicans, not Obama.
Exactly. They are going to vote for the party they think will forgive the loans, not the party they think will help them get a job.

Very short-sighted, but that's what we you get from people who spent $250,000 of "imaginary money" on getting a degree in communications.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:41 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,946,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Exactly. They are going to vote for the party they think will forgive the loans, not the party they think will help them get a job.

Very short-sighted, but that's what we you get from people who spent $250,000 of "imaginary money" on getting a degree in communications.
You really can't expect younger people to think long term. Vote for the party that will give money to go to school....vote for the party that will provide subsidized healthcare (free or nearly free with a part time job)....vote for the party that will help pay back the school money they didn't initially cover. Next step is vote for the party that will provide the most government assistance once a job can't be obtained. Love or hate it...it's brilliant plan to secure voters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics