Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 04:42 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,428,453 times

Advertisements

Do you really think that marijuana belongs on that list ?

I am wiling to invest into industrial or pharmaceutical research of marijuana. I am also willing to legally invest into Marijuana industry.

I was watching those penny stocks, there was some reports of fraud that came out. Typically when something on the news, some-one is looking to cash in on it. I don't know how select a penny stock that is not a fraud or a scam...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 05:14 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
I don't know how select a penny stock that is not a fraud or a scam...
Then stay far, far, far away from them.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:23 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Do you really think that marijuana belongs on that list ?
No.

Quote:
I am wiling to invest into industrial or pharmaceutical research of marijuana. I am also willing to legally invest into Marijuana industry.

I was watching those penny stocks, there was some reports of fraud that came out. Typically when something on the news, some-one is looking to cash in on it. I don't know how select a penny stock that is not a fraud or a scam...
I still don't know if you are you looking for stocks or business opportunities? You can become a grower, supplier, retailer, or invest in a MMJ startup. If you have the funds I suppose you could fund research yourself, but that seems like it would be best left to pharmaceutical companies. You could also invest in a company that is in the MMJ business.

Forget about trying to do this legally though because MJ is illegal. You can limit your exposure so you aren't exposed to jail time, but there will be illegality involved. Sort of like investing in alcohol back during the prohibition.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:34 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,896 times
Honestly, you seem a little naive about many things here. I suggest sticking closer to more traditional investments with the general mantra of buy low, sell high.

But if you insist, the information you seek is all available with some investment of time to research it. Most of the retail end of the MJ business has passe you by. Maybe look into being on the cutting edge of the next state to legalize? That way you can be in on the ground floor if you insist on it. There still may be some heightened risk until the feds declassify it, so you will have to decide what level of risk you can tolerate and what you could afford to lose, including your freedom.

BTW,as a tip, i would suggest that you don't involve the person who told you you real estate in Co has doubled. That person is either making it up, are confused about something they read, or are simply parroting back what they overheard at Starbucks this morning. It isn't true.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:46 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,111,691 times
Quote:
I was just talking to some-one in Colorado who said that real estate prices doubled in 2 years there.
They haven't, your someone is just making things up. And while legalizing MJ certainly appears to be a success story from most perspectives, it's a tiny, tiny portion of CO's economy.

Any noticeable growth in property values/GDP/whatever measure you like has far more to do with other, far larger aspects of CO's economy than MJ.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:49 PM

I seriously do not think I will brake any laws by buying publicly traded stock of a MMJ business.

But one does not have invest directly into MJ, have to look at the data. What industries profit from MJ's legalization or decriminalization?

Old 01-22-2015, 08:01 PM

In 2013 Colorado GDP was 273,721 according to Wikipedia, which was an 8% jump from previous year.
I can not find current GDP.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
I seriously do not think I will brake any laws by buying publicly traded stock of a MMJ business.
So you are looking for stocks. I know of about 50 related to MJ and all but 9 of them are penny stocks.

Quote:
But one does not have invest directly into MJ, have to look at the data. What industries profit from MJ's legalization or decriminalization?
Snack food, pizza, candy, umm, what else do high people eat? Smoking accessories.

Most of the money to be made will be in MJ edibles and the plant. The supplier should make the most and then you also have the retailer. There is a CA retail location (Oakland maybe) that makes about $5 million/yr and I think that is their net profit. If MJ is ever truly legalized the profit margin shrinks significantly because it isn't difficult to make.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:26 PM

Hmm, one could start manufacturing edibles, here in NY edibles are prescribed as medicine...

Probably need to befriend an organic chemistry major to figure out how to get and keep licenses...

Old 01-22-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Hmm, one could start manufacturing edibles, here in NY edibles are prescribed as medicine...

Probably need to befriend an organic chemistry major to figure out how to get and keep licenses...
One could, but you would need to speak with a lawyer to see if you can shield yourself from criminal liability. Investing in stocks is one thing, but starting a company is something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics